HTiB Speakers Replacement, Worth It?

A

asterix.9999999

Audiophyte
Hi All.

I am an ardent reader of this forum. My first post here.
I own an Onkyo HT-S5915 home theater system with Klipsch R120SW subwoofer.
https://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/system_components/home_theater/ht-s5915/index.html

Pretty happy with it. But just wondering if it's worth replacing the speakers with new set, something like Monitor Audio 4G 300 5.0 set/Jamo S 809. And separate Atmos speakers.
Anyone with some advice will be appreciated.

Worth spending the bucks? Will it make any significant difference as comapred to those Onkyo speakers??

Thanks

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Hi and welcome. If that is the Gold series from Monitor Audio, that would be a huge step up from an Onkyo HT package set (and well above my budget :)). Monitor Gold not at all in the same price range as Jamo. Maybe you were thinking of the Monitor Bronze 5G? The 5G and 4G line is discontinued; did you find them used? I have not read too many good things about Jamo. At only $700 for 5 speakers plus a sub the quality is not going to be that great and I can't say that it would be an improvement over the Onkyos. Monitor Audio is quite good when you get to the Silver and Gold lines but even the Bronze in a 5.0 package will cost a lot more than Jamo.

What a number of members will tell you here is that if you have a limited budget (under $1k) then put your money into 2 good main speakers or maybe 2 mains and a center. That is where you will notice the biggest difference. Post what your budget is and if you're outside of the U.S. and others should have some recommendations. Here is a review of the current Monitor Audio Bronze setup, but the price includes a sub which you don't need.
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/monitor-audio-bronze-200-surround-speaker-system-review

Whether it is worth it is a matter of your current level of satisfaction and what your expectations are. Can't answer that for you. I would recommend you visit a store and do some listening tests. Even if it's just a Best Buy. If you notice the difference moving to a tower speaker or a better set of bookshelves then it may be worth considering.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with Eppie. If budget is tight start with a really good stereo pair, or stereo and center and continue to use your current speakers for surrounds until some more funds loosen up. The front 3 get most of the action so that's where we focus starting out. The rest are there for effects and timbre matching isn't as critical.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep speakers would be the upgrade path I think, like the others said. At least the Onkyo HTIBs generally came with a normal avr for changing out components.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yep speakers would be the upgrade path I think, like the others said. At least the Onkyo HTIBs generally came with a normal avr for changing out components.
Is Onkyo known for falling into the trap of misleading specs? I checked the package specs on-line and they rate the amp at 6 ohms 10% distortion with an additional measurement at 1%. That's something the no-name companies due to boost the numbers but I would expect better from Onkyo.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Is Onkyo known for falling into the trap of misleading specs? I checked the package specs on-line and they rate the amp at 6 ohms 10% distortion with an additional measurement at 1%. That's something the no-name companies due to boost the numbers but I would expect better from Onkyo.
I think I've seen examples of them all doing it. Even Denon, Yamaha and others. Some are worse than others but most are all guilty of it in one way or another. It's the wild west out there.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Didn't look at the spec in the manual until just now (which is that type of rating) but it may be more common in marketing such products perhaps? I doubt at lower power output the THD stays so high, they just picked numbers that made it look more powerful (not a good thing I agree). Sometimes I've seen these units have both types of ratings in the manual, tho. I have an older Onkyo avr that was provided with their better HTIBs (and sold separately as well). It has good specs, rated traditionally as well as some of the more inflated style of ratings....

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Do you have a budget in mind? That would help with the overall question.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

It could be worth it. Depends on the room size and how far your listening position is from the main stage speakers greatly. Also depends on the speakers themselves. There's a lot of variables. The room itself counts a lot too (room acoustics).

You'll need to start with a budget to see if it's actually going to matter.

Very best,

A

asterix.9999999

Audiophyte
Hi and welcome. If that is the Gold series from Monitor Audio, that would be a huge step up from an Onkyo HT package set (and well above my budget :)). Monitor Gold not at all in the same price range as Jamo. Maybe you were thinking of the Monitor Bronze 5G? The 5G and 4G line is discontinued; did you find them used? I have not read too many good things about Jamo. At only $700 for 5 speakers plus a sub the quality is not going to be that great and I can't say that it would be an improvement over the Onkyos. Monitor Audio is quite good when you get to the Silver and Gold lines but even the Bronze in a 5.0 package will cost a lot more than Jamo.

What a number of members will tell you here is that if you have a limited budget (under $1k) then put your money into 2 good main speakers or maybe 2 mains and a center. That is where you will notice the biggest difference. Post what your budget is and if you're outside of the U.S. and others should have some recommendations. Here is a review of the current Monitor Audio Bronze setup, but the price includes a sub which you don't need.
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/monitor-audio-bronze-200-surround-speaker-system-review

Whether it is worth it is a matter of your current level of satisfaction and what your expectations are. Can't answer that for you. I would recommend you visit a store and do some listening tests. Even if it's just a Best Buy. If you notice the difference moving to a tower speaker or a better set of bookshelves then it may be worth considering.
Thank you for your response. My budget is indeed under $1000. But that money goes into the three front speakers (don't think this will include Atmos speakers!) if I still use the Onkyo front speakers as the rear speakers.
I am planning on going for some of those demo listening.
I am happy with my current setup, just not sure what I am missing, or if I am missing something at all with the Onkyos. Never really heard those floorstanding speakers before, therefore listening to them would be the right thing to do.
Oh about the speakers, I am eyeing the Monitor Audio Monitor 300 series. Not sure if they going to make a bi difference. Else the Bronze series.

https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/monitor/monitor-300/

Last edited:
A

asterix.9999999

Audiophyte
I agree with Eppie. If budget is tight start with a really good stereo pair, or stereo and center and continue to use your current speakers for surrounds until some more funds loosen up. The front 3 get most of the action so that's where we focus starting out. The rest are there for effects and timbre matching isn't as critical.
Thank you, good advice on using the front Onkyos as the rear.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Budget is around $1000 for the front three and two Atmos (if possible).
Check out RSL speakers, they are excellent and at great prices. I have the CG3 line and it's pretty excellent at really affordable prices.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I found a review on the Monitor series from 2019 and they rated well for the price. They used to have orange speaker cones but it looks like they moved away from that. Should be able to get the 300 towers and the center for under $1000. The Bronze 200 will be over $1200 for just the towers but will have a better tweeter so likely a little more detail and better vocals than the Monitor line. I think you'll want to get mains and a center though because the Monitor towers will likely sound quite different from the Onkyo center and most movie and tv dialogue comes from the center. If you like Monitor, you might be able to find a Bronze tower and center for $1500 if you can negotiate. That would be a nice step up if you can save up a little longer.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis