BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
yes, don't do axiom at all, in particular, VP150 center. it's morbidly bad. VTF-2 should be large enough for your space unless you caught the deepbassfluenza virus. It's quite dangerous, especially for your neighbours :)
Stick with original HTD plan, and as James suggested, if possible save more on surrounds

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thoughts on either the Axiom M3 on Wall with VP150 center or running RSLs CG23 for the fronts and CG3s in the rear. I’d use a larger sub like the HSU VTF-3 recommended (or Monolith 15THX).
I don't see anything obviously wrong with the M3s, except that the cabinet is a bit small for that kind of woofer. The VP150, on the other hand, is a very problematic design. Avoid that at all costs. Two tweeters spaced apart on a horizontal plane like that is a terrible idea.

The RSL CG23 shouldn't really be wall-mounted. They are intended to be a free-standing speaker and will likely run into acoustic problems if placed so close to a wall. They might still sound OK, but that kind of placement really compromises them.

If I were you, I would be looking at certain kinds of on-walls. The Versa speakers might be OK. Again, if it were me and I were looking at on-walls, I would also look at the JBL Pro Control 5s.

S

sbinkley

Junior Audioholic
I don't see anything obviously wrong with the M3s, except that the cabinet is a bit small for that kind of woofer. The VP150, on the other hand, is a very problematic design. Avoid that at all costs. Two tweeters spaced apart on a horizontal plane like that is a terrible idea.

The RSL CG23 shouldn't really be wall-mounted. They are intended to be a free-standing speaker and will likely run into acoustic problems if placed so close to a wall. They might still sound OK, but that kind of placement really compromises them.

If I were you, I would be looking at certain kinds of on-walls. The Versa speakers might be OK. Again, if it were me and I were looking at on-walls, I would also look at the JBL Pro Control 5s.
Does JBL make a specific center channel. I was looking at these and worried they are more for music? This system will be mostly for watching movies.

S

sbinkley

Junior Audioholic
yes, don't do axiom at all, in particular, VP150 center. it's morbidly bad. VTF-2 should be large enough for your space unless you caught the deepbassfluenza virus. It's quite dangerous, especially for your neighbours :)
Stick with original HTD plan, and as James suggested, if possible save more on surrounds
Thanks for the suggestion on the sub. I definitely do not have deepbassfluenza haha! I thought a 10-12” would be plenty.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Does JBL make a specific center channel. I was looking at these and worried they are more for music? This system will be mostly for watching movies.
JBL Arena speakers are often on very deep sale. Look out for good deals.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
never heard of that brand, I will look into them.
Keep them on a short list -- they make good stuff -- I own their GLS 2 bookshelf speakers, and I much prefer them over the likes of HTD, and many JBL speakers which I have owned

Your call

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Keep them on a short list -- they make good stuff -- I own their GLS 2 bookshelf speakers, and I much prefer them over the likes of HTD, and many JBL speakers which I have owned

Your call
Do you like the Kef speakers? I know they are a bit more expensive.

S

sbinkley

Junior Audioholic
Kef would probably be out of my budget. 3 of the GLE 416/417s for front channels or 1 for the center and a pair of Pro XL.3 for the left and right? I'll keep this setup in mind.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
They are not bad -- I would still lean towards Canton and those discounted prices are good -- but again, it is your call

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Kef would probably be out of my budget. 3 of the GLE 416/417s for front channels or 1 for the center and a pair of Pro XL.3 for the left and right? I'll keep this setup in mind.
I would go with the 416 or 417 for the front 3 channels -- I would use the pro for surrounds

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
They are not bad -- I would still lean towards Canton and those discounted prices are good -- but again, it is your call
I trust you ears. Your thread led me to the QA 3020. I am still very curious about the Cantons too. I need actually a set of bookshelves for the master bedroom after I move the QA 3020 to the living room. But I mostly need a setup in the theater room/man cave so unsure what will end up where after I start demos. I have been enjoying the research but looking for a good deal even if I have to wait for it. :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I trust you ears. Your thread led me to the QA 3020. I am still very curious about the Cantons too. I need actually a set of bookshelves for the master bedroom after I move the QA 3020 to the living room.
For the bedroom, I would check into Peachtree Audio on heavy closeout pricing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peachtree-Audio-DS4-5-Bookshelf-Speakers-Birdseye-Maple-PAIR/323384938884

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peachtree-Audio-D4-Bookshelf-Speakers-Swirl-Maple-PAIR-/223091728696?hash=item33f14da138

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ya looking more for a litttle bit larger speaker in bedroom and crossover at AVR at 80 hz or near that to my sub. Probably the Canton 502.2 could work. Wonder if they go on sale again lower than $399 pr.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Ya looking more for a litttle bit larger speaker in bedroom and crossover at AVR at 80 hz or near that to my sub. Probably the Canton 502.2 could work. Wonder if they go on sale again lower than $399 pr.
I once owned a 3" two-way speaker that would embarrass many 5-1/4" woofers -- that for sure is one set that I sold and miss -- my guess is that around Thanksgiving and Christmas that those Cantons will go on sale

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis