S

sbinkley

Junior Audioholic
I’ve looked and can’t find much. Has anyone heard these or have these? This is a speaker that I think could be perfect for my setup. I plan on running 3 of these for the fronts and center and two SB1s for the rear as well as a sub. Any thoughts on this? Room is 16’ wide by 20’ deep with 8’ ceilings.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The design looks fine, I don't see anything terrible about it for an in-wall. It should have some decent bass for an in-wall since it has two passive radiators. It still wouldn't equal the bass of a subwoofer though.

HTD's subwoofer is a bit odd though. They are using an outboard amplifier and a neodymium magnet. There is no reason to use neodymium for a budget subwoofer. The outboard amplifier is interesting though, a lot of people prefer plate amps, but they really are quite compromised and end up costing quite a bit more. I with more companies would look at outboard amplifiers for powered speakers and subs.

S

sbinkley

Junior Audioholic
The design looks fine, I don't see anything terrible about it for an in-wall. It should have some decent bass for an in-wall since it has two passive radiators. It still wouldn't equal the bass of a subwoofer though.

HTD's subwoofer is a bit odd though. They are using an outboard amplifier and a neodymium magnet. There is no reason to use neodymium for a budget subwoofer. The outboard amplifier is interesting though, a lot of people prefer plate amps, but they really are quite compromised and end up costing quite a bit more. I with more companies would look at outboard amplifiers for powered speakers and subs.
I was looking at going with the RSL Speedwoofer 10S. Read so many good things about it, and if I do go with the Versas they are going to chew up a big part of my budget.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I was looking at going with the RSL Speedwoofer 10S. Read so many good things about it, and if I do go with the Versas they are going to chew up a big part of my budget.
Based on this measurement graph here:

The 10S’s close-miked response, normalized to the level at 80 Hz, indicates that the lower –3dB point is at 30 Hz and the –6dB point is at 27 Hz.
and fairly high distortion and very little to no bass below 30hz:

I'd recommend adding one extra c-note and going with SVS PB1000 or Monoprice's 10 THX sub.

S

sbinkley

Junior Audioholic

I'd recommend adding one extra c-note and going with SVS PB1000 or Monoprice's 10 THX sub.
Wow thank you for the recommendations! I have heard of SVS and Monoprice, but I guess I was under the impression that Monoprice was not good quality. I am guessing I am wrong on this? What about a HSU sub, I have read some good things about them just not sure what model would be best?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow thank you for the recommendations! I have heard of SVS and Monoprice, but I guess I was under the impression that Monoprice was not good quality. I am guessing I am wrong on this? What about a HSU sub, I have read some good things about them just not sure what model would be best?
Correct most Monoprice subs are very much low budget and not much of quality. That has changed with new THX Ultra series. James did excellent review here:
https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/monolith-10201d-12

I am a huge fan of HSU, unfortunately, they are a bit less competitive at this price point, mainly due to shipping cost throws the value proposition by about $100. Monoprice THX10 is very competitive vs VFT-2 mk2, but later cost over $100 shipped. It's a bit more powerful at mid-bass and has extended high bass = easier to integrate with smaller speakers

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

Not sure the SVS PB1000 is in the same league as the monolith 10.... :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
While I like the design of the Versas, it isn't worth sacrificing on the sub for. The Versas are trying to get a full range tower speaker sound from an in-wall. The thing is, since you will be using a subwoofer, you will not really need the bass extension of the versas. Its worth stepping down to a speaker that doesn't have as much bass extension if you have a tight budget.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The build quality of the Monolith stuff is excellent. I doubt you will find a better built sub at that price point. The Hsu subs are killer too. The VTF-2 is phenomenal for the price, and the VTF-1 is good too. The VTF-3 is insane, if you can swing that extra expenditure.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Correct most Monoprice subs are very much low budget and not much of quality. That has changed with new THX Ultra series. James did excellent review here:
https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/monolith-10201d-12

I am a huge fan of HSU, unfortunately, they are a bit less competitive at this price point, mainly due to shipping cost throws the value proposition by about $100. Monoprice THX10 is very competitive vs VFT-2 mk2, but later cost over $100 shipped. It's a bit more powerful at mid-bass and has extended high bass = easier to integrate with smaller speakers
Both the Monolith 10" and Hsu subs have good extended upper bass response. Essentially, they can both be used up to 300 Hz if the user wanted (I don't recommend that high of a crossover, though). However the VTF-2 is more than just a bit more powerful in mid-bass, it is about twice as powerful. It digs deeper too, since it is tuned a bit deeper. The Monolith subs have a higher build quality, no doubt, but the Hsu subs are really chasing after performance goals as cost effectively as possible, so two different design approaches.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Not sure the SVS PB1000 is in the same league as the monolith 10.... :)
I would really want to test a PB-1000 myself to see if that is true. I wouldn't just assume that since the PB-1000 is older, that it can't hang in the $500 price point.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I would really want to test a PB-1000 myself to see if that is true. I wouldn't just assume that since the PB-1000 is older, that it can't hang in the $500 price point.
Yes, not my place to jump to conclusions but from a value perspective, think the Monolith 10 if/when it goes on sale...could be the winner in this price range.

I agree that I would encourage folks to jump up to the HSU VTF2 MK5 at the on sale price right now. Especially with the Monolith 10 backordered and no sale in sight... :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Both the Monolith 10" and Hsu subs have good extended upper bass response. Essentially, they can both be used up to 300 Hz if the user wanted (I don't recommend that high of a crossover, though). However the VTF-2 is more than just a bit more powerful in mid-bass, it is about twice as powerful. It digs deeper too, since it is tuned a bit deeper. The Monolith subs have a higher build quality, no doubt, but the Hsu subs are really chasing after performance goals as cost effectively as possible, so two different design approaches.
Not sure what you mean. CEA2010 numbers on Monolith you've measured are 2m, but HSU published 1m peaks. Adding 9db is making then very close.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Not sure what you mean. CEA2010 numbers on Monolith you've measured are 2m, but HSU published 1m peaks. Adding 9db is making then very close.
I have measured them both (here and here). My own measurements would be a more point of comparison, since I am using the same hardware and software to test with. The measurements that Hsu and Monoprice display are not captured using the same hardware, software, or even test conditions, and this all makes a difference. But the measurments are close- around the Monoprice's port tuning. However, the larger cabinet and larger diameter driver does give the VTF-2 an advantage everywhere else. Its not just the large cabinet and driver either, its that the Monolith driver is likely less sensitive due to a lower Fs in order to do well with deep frequencies. Its moving mass is probably relatively heavy compared to the Hsu driver. However, there is a hell of a lot to like about the Monolith sub. If that driver alone was sold as is, I would guess it would be like $200 itself, same with the amplifier. It doesn't hit as hard as the Hsu, but THX performance targets are different from Hsu's performance targets.

S

sbinkley

Junior Audioholic
Ok, so any suggestions for on-wall speakers that will sound good and fill a room 16’Wx20’Lx8’H and then I’ll go with the VTF2 since that seems to be the better sub?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
On-wall speakers are a tough one. There isn't a really good reason why a good one can't be built, but I have never seen a measurement of one that impressed me. Legacy Audio has some on-walls that I liked but those are very expensive. Thee are some significant engineering challenged in making one though. Its not quite an infinite baffle like an in-wall, but not a small baffle like a regular free-standing speaker. One way to handle that is large high-directivity speakers, but no one want to place large speakers on their walls.

If it were me, I might be looking at pro audio surface mount speakers from JBL or QSC or something like that. You might look at JBL Pro Control 5 speakers. A trio of those should sound good, and it would come in under budget. It is designed for wall mounting. Take the savings and upgrade to a VTF-3 sub, that ought to make for a killer system.

S

sbinkley

Junior Audioholic
So I’m better off looking for a bookshelf that can be wall mounted correct? Smaller drivers would be ok since I will have a sub to handle the bass?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
No, I wouldn't advise you to look for bookshelf speakers that can be wall-mounted. If anything, that should be worse than on-wall speakers. As for driver sizes, well, that depends on how loud you listen. If you only listen at modest levels, 3" woofers like the revels ought to be fine. If you want something that is more fun, I would be looking at 5" to 6" drivers. The mostly subwoofers only handle deep bass, ie. 80 Hz and below, but most of the bass range is actually handled by the speakers, so bass playback will suffer if you get speakers that have mediocre headroom in bass frequencies.

S

sbinkley

Junior Audioholic
Thoughts on either the Axiom M3 on Wall with VP150 center or running RSLs CG23 for the fronts and CG3s in the rear. I’d use a larger sub like the HSU VTF-3 recommended (or Monolith 15THX).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis