HT Speaker and Screen Placement Question

B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
I am sure this has been asked before a thousand times, but I am having a hard time pinpointing a post with similar stats.

In my theater I wired the speaker wires to come out of the walls at 5' except for the center and the sub. Center is at 3' and the sub is at front left. I have some flexibility from there, but that is where they are pre-wired.

Lets assume I am using today's speakers since I am highly considering buying these:
SX-661/R mains ($2,700/pair), SX-661C/R center ($1,350/each), SX-44/R side surrounds ($2,500/pair), and SX-61/R rear surrounds ($1,900/pair); Total: $8,450

My questions are:

1) Having the center at 3' and the fronts at 5' would this cause major issues in the front sound stage?

2) If I were to put a AT screen in instead I would have to mount it off the wall far enough to get these behind it. Then I could get all my speakers at 5' and I assume I would drop the SX-661C/R for another standard SX-661/R. How would you mount a fixed screen off the wall? Would you use a drop screen instead? and How far does the screen need to be from the front of the speakers (3-6 inches enough)?

3) With a good system like this will it make a huge difference? My preference is to use a fixed screen on the wall and put the speakers around the screen since the alternative is much more difficult to install. I am looking for high quality though so I am willing to do whatever is best.

4) If you do put bookshelf speakers behind a screen would you put dampening panels between them? p=panel s=speaker and ---=screen
Something like this:
p s p s p s p
------------

All of this is referring to my front stage only. The rest of the room I am fine with. I just need to make a final decision on my front stage. Thanks All!!!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Need room dimensions for context!

But most of your questions about placement will depend entirely on your seating distance, personal taste, and to do a search for room modes to make sure your dimensions will not need additional support (absorption/reflection panels). You will want to sit an do your own listening test to decide what distance apart, and what height you want them at. You can target a 'sweet spot' for 1-2 listeners, or broaden the sound field for more people. Its because of this that there is no 'one size fits all' rule for speaker placement.

B

blcskate

Junior Audioholic
The room is 13'W, 19'L, 9'H. Seats will be about 11' away from wall. I am aware that I will need some additional panels and diffusers on the walls. My main concern is simply the screen and center channel. I have to decide what type of screen to buy and whether to buy a center channel or an additional front bookshelf. I can move everything around to make it perfect once I get it in there, but it won't be so easy switching screens and speakers out. I have been going back and forth on this forever and I just don't know whats better to do with the center and screen. Its been driving me crazy :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis