HSU VTF-TN1 vs Rythmik F18 for living room

B

BoarMarket

Audiophyte
PSA EV1813, I had one and it was one of the best subs I ever had. Power Sound Audio
PSA was my third choice, although I didn't have one specific model in mind. Between their three 18" options, I like the EV1813M the best. Specs aside, how does the sound of the EV1813 compare to the VTF-TN1?

Edit: I realize this is just conjecture since you likely haven't owned both subs, but that's fine. You all (in this forum) have a lot more experience with subs than I do and can likely give a sense of how two subs might sound different from one another. Even if you're just guessing, your guess is likely much better than mine.

Last edited:
isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
PSA was my third choice, although I didn't have one specific model in mind. Between their three 18" options, I like the EV1813M the best. Specs aside, how does the sound of the EV1813 compare to the VTF-TN1?

Edit: I realize this is just conjecture since you likely haven't owned both subs, but that's fine. You all (in this forum) have a lot more experience with subs than I do and can likely give a sense of how two subs might sound different from one another. Even if you're just guessing, your guess is likely much better than mine.
Shady J says it best...no one knows what a particular sub will do until you put it in your room, with your equipment and your ears.

B

BoarMarket

Audiophyte
Shady J says it best...no one knows what a particular sub will do until you put it in your room, with your equipment and your ears.
Right. Well, if going out on the market and buying 2, 3, or 4 subs to bring them home and compare them was an option, I would have done that. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Not sure you have to guess. I think you can predict what a sub will do pretty much, from the design and measurements like Shady provides. A sub is actually the easiest speaker to predict.

That HSU sub is excellent value for money for what it delivers and a couple of those, both ports open, would I think make almost anyone happy. You are starting to make a ten course meal out of this.

I will not, except under exceptional circumstances design a speaker I can not measure and hear. However, with subs I am prepared to do that and have for a number of members over the years. I don't think any were disappointed. I think a subs performance is relatively predictable.

Matt34

Matt34

I had the 1st Gen VTF-15 years ago and the VTF 3 mk 5 more recently. I think the PSA will have substantially more output above 25-30hz, while the TN-1 will have a little more output below 20hz.
I enjoyed the PSA for music more than any other sub I had. Those B&C woofers are pretty awesome IMO.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Right. Well, if going out on the market and buying 2, 3, or 4 subs to bring them home and compare them was an option, I would have done that. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury.
No one has that luxury.
Im pretty active on AVS...except for the speaker threads, even though I've been dealing with speakers personally and professionally for 55 years.
The reason for that is that all those "what should I buy" threads come down to objective opinions, and then ramble on forever.
I used to tell my customers to buy whatever strikes their fancy, wouldn't even get into endless hours of comparing specs and features.
Whatever they bought from the shops I was at was quality equipment.

Like TLS Guy just said, you are making a ten course meal out of this.
Just buy a sub.All that were suggested are good designs and are good quality. Your room will determine the sound.

If I were you, I would dump your whole system and start over...your AVR is old and a weak one at that, and your speakers are bargain level entry models.
If you are unhappy with whatever sub you buy, you have to look at the system as a whole.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

No one has that luxury.
Im pretty active on AVS...except for the speaker threads, even though I've been dealing with speakers personally and professionally for 55 years.
The reason for that is that all those "what should I buy" threads come down to objective opinions, and then ramble on forever.
I used to tell my customers to buy whatever strikes their fancy, wouldn't even get into endless hours of comparing specs and features.
Whatever they bought from the shops I was at was quality equipment.

Like TLS Guy just said, you are making a ten course meal out of this.
Just buy a sub.All that were suggested are good designs and are good quality. Your room will determine the sound.

If I were you, I would dump your whole system and start over...your AVR is old and a weak one at that, and your speakers are bargain level entry models.
If you are unhappy with whatever sub you buy, you have to look at the system as a whole.
I couldn't agree more. This system needs a revamp from top to bottom, as far as I can tell, and the sub is the least of his worries and concerns.

B

BoarMarket

Audiophyte
I purchased a VTF-TN1. I'm surprised--it doesn't have as much output as I was expecting. It has more output than my previous sub but not by a huge amount. The Infinity at 100% volume is comparable to the HSU at 60% volume. Although the increase in depth (lower frequencies) is substantial. I'm hearing new tonality to my media for the first time.

With a single sub, the sound fills my room pretty well. On top of that, I'm pleased that the sound doesn't reach my neighbors. I've asked them specifically to report anything they hear, but they haven't reported anything yet, which is good. And that's with 90 decibels at my listening position. So, two sets of walls separated by 6 feet (distance between houses) does a lot to dampen sound.

In terms of what the HSU might be lacking for my taste, I could go for more depth. Perhaps I'll look for more test content with low frequency audio bytes. It's kinda hard to know what I might be missing without being able to hear it first (because I don't know that it's there).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I purchased a VTF-TN1. I'm surprised--it doesn't have as much output as I was expecting. It has more output than my previous sub but not by a huge amount. The Infinity at 100% volume is comparable to the HSU at 60% volume. Although the increase in depth (lower frequencies) is substantial. I'm hearing new tonality to my media for the first time.

With a single sub, the sound fills my room pretty well. On top of that, I'm pleased that the sound doesn't reach my neighbors. I've asked them specifically to report anything they hear, but they haven't reported anything yet, which is good. And that's with 90 decibels at my listening position. So, two sets of walls separated by 6 feet (distance between houses) does a lot to dampen sound.

In terms of what the HSU might be lacking for my taste, I could go for more depth. Perhaps I'll look for more test content with low frequency audio bytes. It's kinda hard to know what I might be missing without being able to hear it first (because I don't know that it's there).
The Hsu should have way more output. If it doesn't, you just aren't puashing it that hard. But of you weren't maxing out your Infinity, there is no way you are maxing out the Hsu.

Matt34

Matt34

The placement of the sub in your room is probably probably having a negative effect in the room response. If you can, try it in different locations with music you're familiar with if you don't have access to a mic and measurement software. Even a free SPL meter on your phone to level match it to your mains would be a good start.

B

BoarMarket

Audiophyte
I'm fine with the output volume, I just wish it dug a little deeper. I'm more satisfied tonight after further testing. I plugged one port which helps a bit.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'm fine with the output volume, I just wish it dug a little deeper. I'm more satisfied tonight after further testing. I plugged one port which helps a bit.
Your problem is that your main speakers are not very powerful. Most of what is perceived as bass is actually above sub range. It is a common fault with audio systems that the subs are more powerful than the rest of the system.

The other issue is that only large pipe organs with 32' pipes have a large bass output below 30 Hz. That is actually around the lower limit of the double bass and the large bass drum. Movie special effects go to 20 Hz and below.

So a lot depends on your source and the power of your mains above 80 Hz or so. 100 to 200 Hz is NOT midrange, but bass and actually sounds pretty deep. Mid range really starts above 400 Hz. The major bass power band of most musical sources is actually 80 to 400 Hz. I would say these days speakers with slim cabinets and small drivers are significantly lacking in power in this band and actually right up to 1500 Hz or so and often a bit beyond that. Audiologists know that, as if you start to loose hearing below 1500 Hz, you start to become profoundly deaf and can't follow speech well without aids. 1500 Hz is the crucial turnover frequency when hearing loss starts to become a significant problem.

I am absolutely convinced that most speaker designers have no clue as to where the power frequency relationships are. No clue at all.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis