HSU ULS15 over my Outlaw

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Last call before I make the move to the HSU ULS15. I am getting feedback that the ULS will be a lot better than my current Outlaw X12 for music only system. 2.1 Audio. Do most agree???

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why would it be a lot better or even significantly different "for music"? Just wanting to try another sub?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Last call before I make the move to the HSU ULS15. I am getting feedback that the ULS will be a lot better than my current Outlaw X12 for music only system. 2.1 Audio. Do most agree???
Would it be better for music, yes, it will offer more performance. BUT keep in mind that you have to be pushing the Outlaw sub pretty hard to see a real difference there. The ULS-15 probably has twice the headroom of the Outlaw in the music range, which is like 40Hz+. The Outlaw is no slouch though. It may be the the room is boosting the low-end to sound boomy on the Outlaw sub. If you think there is too much low end, try sealing the ports. However, if the case is that you just want to rock harder than the Outlaw allows, then yes, the ULS-15 mk2 will kick your ass. You might think about getting the VTF-3 mk5 as well- that can always be converted to a sealed sub pretty easily.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Why would it be a lot better or even significantly different "for music"? Just wanting to try another sub?
This is what I am being told. The Outlaw is back in my HT set up. I need a sub for my music room.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Would it be better for music, yes, it will offer more performance. BUT keep in mind that you have to be pushing the Outlaw sub pretty hard to see a real difference there. The ULS-15 probably has twice the headroom of the Outlaw in the music range, which is like 40Hz+. The Outlaw is no slouch though. It may be the the room is boosting the low-end to sound boomy on the Outlaw sub. If you think there is too much low end, try sealing the ports. However, if the case is that you just want to rock harder than the Outlaw allows, then yes, the ULS-15 mk2 will kick your ass. You might think about getting the VTF-3 mk5 as well- that can always be converted to a sealed sub pretty easily.
That VTF is a beast. Not sure I can handle a sub over 100lbs going up to a second floor.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That VTF is a beast. Not sure I can handle a sub over 100lbs going up to a second floor.
Product weight, 76 lbs. shipping weight 85 lbs. Not extremely easy to lift but pretty doable for a ported 15" subwoofer.. it's long way from the 130 lbs Monoprice 15" or SVS's 176 lbs 16".

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
65 lbs does sound better than over 100 to carry upstairs :)

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
I find my X12 lacking nothing for my 2.1 music set up. I don't know how big your listening space is, but for my 1400cuft.room it is plenty and then some.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Product weight, 76 lbs. shipping weight 85 lbs. Not extremely easy to lift but pretty doable for a ported 15" subwoofer.. it's long way from the 130 lbs Monoprice 15" or SVS's 176 lbs 16".
I was referring to the VTF 15 H. That one shows over 100 lbs.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I find my X12 lacking nothing for my 2.1 music set up. I don't know how big your listening space is, but for my 1400cuft.room it is plenty and then some.
It’s not lacking at all. I moved it back into my HT set up. I just need to purchase one.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
+1 on the ULS-15 MK2! The majority of my listening pleasure is music and the '15 fit the bill quite nicely. It is fast and deep with no sense of "bloating" or "overhang" at all - very tight. I can imagine having more, but for me there is absolutely no reason! On a couple occasions I have cranked it up to see what would happen and I cried mercy before it even broke a sweat. It is by far the best (audio) purchase I have made in a very long time.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
The ULS-15 probably has twice the headroom of the Outlaw in the music range, which is like 40Hz+.
Can you explain this a little better for me? From what I have cobbled together, the term "headroom" is referring to the capacitive reserve of an amp to briefly sustain peaks in wattage demands. Is this what you are referring to here or a different type of "headroom" in regards to frequency reproduction? I'm confused, and have read through the "About dynamic headroom" discussion thread which has only further clouded my brain on something likely direct and simple....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Can you explain this a little better for me? From what I have cobbled together, the term "headroom" is referring to the capacitive reserve of an amp to briefly sustain peaks in wattage demands. Is this what you are referring to here or a different type of "headroom" in regards to frequency reproduction? I'm confused, and have read through the "About dynamic headroom" discussion thread which has only further clouded my brain on something likely direct and simple....
Agree...
I 'understood' Subwoofer Headroom to refer to dynamic potential in terms of Output[SPL] at given frequencies, whereas for Amps, its about the electrical potential to meet those dynamic peaks (and for both, to do it cleanly without distortion).

Clarification would be appreciated. :)

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
ULS-15 has an almost identical response to the VTF-2 MK5 below 40hz (which measures almost identically to the X12).

But the response and output between 40-100hz(4db average) will be better on the ULS-15

VTF-2 MK5 One Port Open:

Tone Burst Center Frequency (Hz)Maximum SPLCEA 2010 Rating
112.5​

VTF-2 MK5 Two Ports Open:

113.8​

ULS-15 MK2:

112.9​

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Agree...
I 'understood' Subwoofer Headroom to refer to dynamic potential in terms of Output[SPL] at given frequencies, whereas for Amps, its about the electrical potential to meet those dynamic peaks (and for both, to do it cleanly without distortion).

Clarification would be appreciated. :)
Ryanosaur's description of headroom is correct, it is essentially dynamic range.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I still think it would be nice to be able to get a small 8 or 10in sub for my system that weighs 60lbs or less. And plays big...I am getting old and even moving this Outlaw sub is a task for me.
I think that was one thing that really attracted me to the REL sub.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Get the Hsu you've been looking at or the SVS SB 3000 and call it a day. And yes, the X12 is big and unwieldy. I can't imagine how crazy big and heavy the X13 is.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis