HSU STF-2 demo - sounds terrible!

B

bflat

Enthusiast
After hearing all the glowing reviews on the web about HSU subs, I made a trip to the closest store to hear one. I am in canada, so the only way to get HSU subs is in the retail channel. All they had available there was the STF-2 in stock.

From what I read I expected a musical sounding sub, that may not be as loud or go as low as a 12" driver since the STF-2 only has a 10". This was one of the wost sounding subs I have ever heard. It was incredibly boomy, had absoluty no definition to the bass, and no dynamics. What the hell happened? The sales person played with the settings on sub and reciever and it never sounded any better, just boomy.

The sales person was definatly not suprised with my reaction, he said he carries HSU as a low end sub for people who don't know any better. Was the sub I heard broken? Badly set up?

My faith in internet reviews has been severly shaken. I am now starting to question my pending Axiom purchase as well. I will definately need to hear anything before I buy it, even with a good return policy. Forums are too unpredictable...

bflat

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
bflat said:
After hearing all the glowing reviews on the web about HSU subs, I made a trip to the closest store to hear one. I am in canada, so the only way to get HSU subs is in the retail channel. All they had available there was the STF-2 in stock.

From what I read I expected a musical sounding sub, that may not be as loud or go as low as a 12" driver since the STF-2 only has a 10". This was one of the wost sounding subs I have ever heard. It was incredibly boomy, had absoluty no definition to the bass, and no dynamics. What the hell happened? The sales person played with the settings on sub and reciever and it never sounded any better, just boomy.

The sales person was definatly not suprised with my reaction, he said he carries HSU as a low end sub for people who don't know any better. Was the sub I heard broken? Badly set up?

My faith in internet reviews has been severly shaken. I am now starting to question my pending Axiom purchase as well. I will definately need to hear anything before I buy it, even with a good return policy. Forums are too unpredictable...

bflat
Something here is not as it seems. At what store did you audition the sub? What town? Low end? How was it set up? Did you listen to any other subs while there? How did they compare?

My STF-3 is great performer, as was my STF-1.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
Did you check the back to see how it was set? You wouldn't be the first to find something set-up terribly in a shop whether by an inexperience customer messing with the settings or inexperienced staff. I have seen lesser shops purposely set up lower cost items up poorly to make the more expensive stuff sound significantly better.

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Bad acoustics and bad setup can ruin the sound of even a $10000 sub. There is no doubt that this was a setup and/or acoustics issue.

B

bflat

Enthusiast
I will elaborate a little. I heard this sub at the only reseller in Guelph ontario, Powerline Electronics. The salesperson set it up specifically for my request, so it was not tampered with by someone else. He also set up a Energy 12.3 in the same room right after that. The energy sounded wonderful, the HSU sounded terrible. Even if the sub was set up badly, I don't think it should have sounded so terrible. I went in to listen to the HSU specifically, since I am not really interested in energy speakers. The 12.3 was only to see if the room was bad.

Granted the energy was $400 more than the HSU...but the STF-2 sounded like something you would hear coming from a civic at a stoplight.

bflat

J

JES14

Audioholic
I checked out the HSU at Powerline as well sometime ago, came away unimpressed. My Velodyne CHT-10 is more detailed and musical, not to mention cheaper. The HSU also bottomed out badly during the chase scene in T3, the ending where the crane flips over, my velo did not. But this audition and numerous reviews here and elsewhere, convinced me that my Velo is as good or better then any for the price, so my upgrade $ bought me the Paradigm Studios instead:)

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
bflat said:
I will elaborate a little. I heard this sub at the only reseller in Guelph ontario, Powerline Electronics. The salesperson set it up specifically for my request, so it was not tampered with by someone else.
How much time did he take to set it up? Were you there when he set them up? Level matched?

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I think the setup was indeed bad. Or...there was something wrong with that particular sub. I've heard a plethora of comparably priced Velodynes and Energy subs, and none compare to Hsu in performance.

B

bflat

Enthusiast
I don't think a quick setup was the problem in this case. I was not worried about the integration with the mains, nor the overall levels in the room. There just wasn't any definition to the sound at all. With the same superficial time spent setting up, the Energy sounded great. Not well integrated, and probably had some frequency spikes, but the sound was sharp and punchy. As I said, the HSU had no attack or definition, just sounded like a cheap sub in a honda civic.

Given the wonderful reviews HSU has around here, I am hoping that the particular unit was bad.

Jes14, when did you hear HSU at powerline? Did you feel that the HSU was very boomy and undefined?

Honestly I am not trying to troll...I was just shocked with what I heard from HSU. I expected much better and just wanted to know if my experiance was abnormal, or common.

bflat

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I used to own the VTF-2 so I'd have to agree that something was setup incorrectly. It is a very good sounding, very musical sub. The only thing I can say is, that sub may have had a damaged driver. It does NOT have the extension or ability to move a ton of air like a larger sub though, but it should have plenty of attack and decent punch.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Demo setup

A damaged or poorly configured HSU STF-2 could be useful to encourage customers to upgrade to their "premium" subwoofer line. Regaurdless of whether they would do this intentionally or just don't know how to use the equipment, it doesn't sound like a good place to buy from.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
rjbudz said:
I think the setup was indeed bad. Or...there was something wrong with that particular sub. I've heard a plethora of comparably priced Velodynes and Energy subs, and none compare to Hsu in performance.
Would you care to divulge which ones exactly?

SheepStar

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Sheep said:
Would you care to divulge which ones exactly?

SheepStar
Let's be careful not to hijack this thread.

FYI, I have heard examples of every Energy sub made up to the year, 2004. I have heard none since. I have heard samples (various sizes) of most Velo models...but never an SPL or DD...both of which would be more expensive than your typical STF-2, as per my caveat, "comparably priced". I find Energy and Velodyne to make quite decent subs (perhaps excluding the CHT..but then that might have been a bad sub or sub setup as in the OP's situation).

Do you have any suggestions or comments for the OP? Do you agree that he shouldn't trust forums and/or that Energy subs should blow away Hsu's?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
rjbudz said:
Let's be careful not to hijack this thread.

FYI, I have heard examples of every Energy sub made up to the year, 2004. I have heard none since. I have heard samples (various sizes) of most Velo models...but never an SPL or DD...both of which would be more expensive than your typical STF-2, as per my caveat, "comparably priced". I find Energy and Velodyne to make quite decent subs (perhaps excluding the CHT..but then that might have been a bad sub or sub setup as in the OP's situation).

Do you have any suggestions or comments for the OP? Do you agree that he shouldn't trust forums and/or that Energy subs should blow away Hsu's?
Well, I remember Tom Vodhanel saying that the new S12.3 is a very good subwoofer. Thats, Tom Vodhanel. :) I've also heard the S8.3, S10.3, S12.3, E:xl-S8, E:xl-S12, S10.2, and finally S8.2.

As far as velodyne models go, SPL800II(as well as R), SPL1000II(as well as R), SPL1200II(as well as R), MiniVee, DLS3500R, DLS3750R, DLS4000R, DLS5000R, DPS-10, DPS-12 (duh :p) as well as most of the CHT series.

The DPS, CHT, and DLSR series sound fairly similar, with the DLSR sounding (IMO) the best. The SPL and SPLR series are my favorite, but, like you said, carry a nice price tag.

I HAVEN'T heard a Hsu, so I can't directly compare it to the S12.3, but I do remember the Mirage S12 (S12.3 clone) being compared to a VTF-3 and it doing a very good job(then being pounded into the ground by the VTF-3). So I don't doubt the S12.3 besting the Hsu STF-2.

SheepStar

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I almost forgot...an addendum is in order for my last post. I have heard a DD18...nicest sub I've heard.

B

bflat

Enthusiast
Now don't get me wrong here. I fully expect that the energy 12.3 sounds better than a HSU STF-2. It costs $400 more!

What I am worried about is just how bad the HSU sounded, not compared to anything. I expected tight musical bass, and I got car audio booming crap.

I really wanted to like a HSU, since a VTF-3 or STF-3 was on my short list of subs to check out. I wish there was another place to hear them, but this was the only place outside of toronto.

bflat

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
rjbudz said:
I almost forgot...an addendum is in order for my last post. I have heard a DD18...nicest sub I've heard.
I trust your opinion. :)

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
bflat said:
Now don't get me wrong here. I fully expect that the energy 12.3 sounds better than a HSU STF-2. It costs $400 more!

What I am worried about is just how bad the HSU sounded, not compared to anything. I expected tight musical bass, and I got car audio booming crap.

I really wanted to like a HSU, since a VTF-3 or STF-3 was on my short list of subs to check out. I wish there was another place to hear them, but this was the only place outside of toronto.

bflat
A Bose lifestyle 48 system costs more then my ENTIRE HT, EVERYTHING, but I don't expect it to sound better.

SheepStar

B

bflat

Enthusiast
I am not only thinking it will sound better because of the price. It also has a bigger driver and more powerful amp. Energy is a reputable company, unlike bose. When I compare the 12.3 against some PSB and Paradigm subs in the $1000-$1500 range, I prefer the sound of the energy. It doesn't seem unreasonable at $1000.

I wish HSU had a list of owners willing to audition like Axiom does so I could determine if it was a bad sample.

bflat

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
bflat said:
I am not only thinking it will sound better because of the price. It also has a bigger driver and more powerful amp. Energy is a reputable company, unlike bose. When I compare the 12.3 against some PSB and Paradigm subs in the $1000-$1500 range, I prefer the sound of the energy. It doesn't seem unreasonable at $1000.

I wish HSU had a list of owners willing to audition like Axiom does so I could determine if it was a bad sample.

bflat
Maybe you should just get the Energy then? Hsu has a forum, try asking there. I'm sure someone will help.

SheepStar

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis