How to stream multi channel DSD

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I don’t have high hopes on the Amazon thing. In the other hand, if it makes multi channel more popular, then in all for it. To be honest, in this day and time, there’s very little extra cost to producing multi channel and delivering it. Most recording houses record their masters with multiple tracks anyway.
I think they do the mixing for multichannel with 24bit gear and then have to make it DSD 1bit.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Bottom line I think with multich content unfortunately is lack of demand. It is an extra step/cost to produce and distribute stuff over the basic demands of 2ch. While many of us on the thread support it, there are many vocal 2ch fans against it because they only have 2 ears....and other nonsense.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Bottom line I think with multich content unfortunately is lack of demand. It is an extra step/cost to produce and distribute stuff over the basic demands of 2ch. While many of us on the thread support it, there are many vocal 2ch fans against it because they only have 2 ears....and other nonsense.
I think like most things, it comes back at some point. For example, Amazon likely can just turn it on for all devices for the Atmos catalog they already setup for that dumb echo studio single speaker....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think like most things, it comes back at some point. For example, Amazon likely can just turn it on for all devices for the Atmos catalog they already setup for that dumb echo studio single speaker....
But is that Atmos branded feature anything more than some sort of algorithm like available on phones as a stereo enhancer?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You mean is it simply DSU or NeuralX upmixer? LOL :)
I meant more if its natively multich capable, or is it customized to that particular hardware? I don't know, brand names don't always tell you the whole story....

ps Let alone Dolby licensing fees :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I meant more if its natively multich capable, or is it customized to that particular hardware? I don't know, brand names don't always tell you the whole story....

ps Let alone Dolby licensing fees :)
Well @Matthew J Poes made it seem like Atmos music on Amazon Music would be more than a gimmick to sell the echo studio speaker. I’m not sure if he had more info.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ya I jumped from 2003 gear to 2016 gear a couple years back (for 4K) and it surprised me that analog inputs were not around as much. I think some of the Marantz models might have them still.
Yeah, Marantz still has multi-channel RCA inputs on some of its AVRs and its Pre-Pros; yet, I am not aware of any Universal Players out there today with multi-channel analog output which supports stereo/multi-channel SACD. The Sony Players support SACD but only output multi-channel via HDMI and that of course means a modern HDMI AVR or Pre-Pro with proper digital audio processing is necessary for multi-channel SACD pleasure. I am fortunate having a 20 year old 5.1 analog multi-channel preamplifier which, connected to the multi-channel output of my discontinued OPPP-205 Universal Player, gets me all there is to get from multi-channel SACDs. The OPPO does not need a TV monitor to initiate SACD playback, so SACD pleasure is easy to access too. Just open disc drawer and close it for auto play. At any rate, I prefer multi-channel music over stereo for its depth and breadth and I think SACD is the most viable format to enjoy gapless multi-channel. Downloading multi-channel is a chore, I know of no business streaming it, and so far I do not know how to get multi-channel gaplessly via wireless Network connection between my OPPO and DLNA Server (Toshiba Laptop running Windows 10). Also, I believe discs have more value than downloads, that's to say, discs can be resold; plus, they need no back-up to protect from loss. Now, I do not know where multi-channel music via disc is going, maybe Blu-ray? For sure, while I seek tunes I've enjoyed hearing on the radio in multi-channel SACD format before buying them in any format, it's rare that I will find it on SACD; although, I sense there is a growing movement to revisit SACD by record producers, perhaps because SACD today, unlike in the past, can be indulged today with virtually no investment in it, only requiring a home theater set-up which has a Sony Universal Player connected to an HDMI AVR. BTW, I just ordered Pink Floyd/The Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1 multi-channel SACD from Acoustic Sounds which should ship on the 16th of this month. With tax and shipping I paid $39.09 for it. Can/t wait.

Last edited:
S

ssmaudio

Audioholic Intern
Ok. I solved the streaming multi channel problem. I ended up with buying an Exasound e38 DAC plustheir Sigma streamer and a Marantz 8012 receiver. The combination is absolutely fabulou. The sound is warm and very clear with a dimensionality I wasn’t aware of. very happy.
BTW, don’t tell the wife.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis