How to match up receivers and speakers?

J

Jb901

Enthusiast
Hey everyone, I’m new here and this is my first post! I’m just getting into home audio and currently looking at starting a small set up for my living room that I could later build on for my wife and me to enjoy. I am a bit confused as there is so much conflicting information out there regarding matching up speakers and receivers and I don’t want to damage anything. I already have a powered sub from an old system that my buddy gave me. I am currently looking at 2 receivers.. the first being an Onkyo tx-nr585 that I found for about a $150 and the other is a Sony srt-dh590 for the same price. For speakers, I am pretty set on buying the Klipsch r-15m, and I was also considering the Polk T15s. I also was looking at Klipsch r-41m but feel as though I might as well go with the r-15m model because they have more power. This will be for a small living room (sitting about 6-9 feet away) but would like for it to have enough power for a bigger one for when we move into a house. I’ll be using for tv, movies, music/record player. The Klipsch r-15m has a continuous at 85w and a max at 340w with a 94db (8ohm) sensitivity. My question is, will either of those receivers match up alright with those r-15m speakers? I’ve read that you need more power (wattage) coming out of your amp per channel than what the speakers continuous wattage is at.. I’ve also heard your amp should have less power (wattage) per channel than the speakers continuous wattage rating... and I’ve heard it doesn’t matter.
So I’m really confused! Will these receiver produce loud rock n roll music so I can jam out? Or will they be under powered..? The set up by no means has to be perfect, but I do love good audio quality and want it to last as long as possible. Please help! And thank you so much for any tips and suggestions, I greatly appreciate it!

J

Jb901

Enthusiast
The sub is a Sony and it was pulled from the MHC-EC98Pi Mini Hi-Fi Shelf System. It hits hard and has always sounded good although I’m sure most people here would tell me to trash it. It puts out 150 W (at 4 Ω, 80 Hz, 10% THD) and the model number is (SS-WG98) that should be fine right?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I wouldn't worry about using either receiver with either speaker. The damage thing is not a big worry unless you just like dialing it up to full volume no matter how bad it sounds.....judicious use of the volume control is usually your way of protecting both your hearing and your speakers. There is a lot of confusing information causing the overthinking of this aspect, as you've discovered. With a relatively sensitive speaker like the Klipsch you'll not need as much amp power to get as loud (altho Klipsch tends to overstate their sensitivity compared to others as they use an in-room spec rather than anechoic). You can exceed the max wattage rating of your speaker as far as the amp capability goes, but again, judicious use of the volume control....drunken parties with it turned up to 11 can be bad. Speakers don't "have" power, they use it depending how loud you've got it dialed up.

Same for the sub and the wattage on a sub isn't all that meaningful without a sensitivity spec....it may have a 150W amp but it doesn't "put out" 150W (that's just the max the amp can provide). At least it's an active sub, some mini systems only come with a passive sub. There are indeed much better subs available, tho I can't find much on your sub, I'm pretty confident in that statement....

Might want to read this article https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/truth-about-matching-amplifier-power

J

Jb901

Enthusiast
Well, I wouldn't worry about using either receiver with either speaker. The damage thing is not a big worry unless you just like dialing it up to full volume no matter how bad it sounds.....judicious use of the volume control is usually your way of protecting both your hearing and your speakers. There is a lot of confusing information causing the overthinking of this aspect, as you've discovered. With a relatively sensitive speaker like the Klipsch you'll not need as much amp power to get as loud (altho Klipsch tends to overstate their sensitivity compared to others as they use an in-room spec rather than anechoic). You can exceed the max wattage rating of your speaker as far as the amp capability goes, but again, judicious use of the volume control....drunken parties with it turned up to 11 can be bad. Speakers don't "have" power, they use it depending how loud you've got it dialed up.

Same for the sub and the wattage on a sub isn't all that meaningful without a sensitivity spec....it may have a 150W amp but it doesn't "put out" 150W (that's just the max the amp can provide). At least it's an active sub, some mini systems only come with a passive sub. There are indeed much better subs available, tho I can't find much on your sub, I'm pretty confident in that statement....

Might want to read this article https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/truth-about-matching-amplifier-power
Thank you! I am sure you’re right about the sub lol I’d guess anyone would come in here and take a single listen and laugh. But it’s what I’ve got for now and I like it so when I can, I’ll definitely buy a better one! So the onkyo pushes approximately 80w per channel at 8 ohms.. the r-15ms are 85w continuous... that shouldn’t be a problem based on what you’re saying and what that article is saying, correct? And thanks again

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I would definitely take the Onkyo over the sony. The Onkyo has more connection options and just appears to be the better option all around.
As far as the power goes that your concerned about. More power is almost always better.
A good way maybe for you to understand it is by using a car analogy. Let's say you commonly drive 65mph and you have the option of a car that has lets say a 4 cylinder and will top out at 80mph. Now lets say you have a car that has a v8 and tops out at 125mph. Which would you choose ?

The v8 that does 125mph would be your best option. Why ? Because if you chose the wimpy 4 cylinder only capable of 80mph, you would be running at near max throttle and wouldn't have much capabilities for passing another vehicle. While if you chose the v8 that does 125mph, while driving 65mph you would just cruising along, not stressing the engine, yet still have plenty of power when you need to pass someone.
This might seem like a strange analogy, but I thought it may be a little easier to understand this way.

J

Jb901

Enthusiast
I would definitely take the Onkyo over the sony. The Onkyo has more connection options and just appears to be the better option all around.
As far as the power goes that your concerned about. More power is almost always better.
A good way maybe for you to understand it is by using a car analogy. Let's say you commonly drive 65mph and you have the option of a car that has lets say a 4 cylinder and will top out at 80mph. Now lets say you have a car that has a v8 and tops out at 125mph. Which would you choose ?

The v8 that does 125mph would be your best option. Why ? Because if you chose the wimpy 4 cylinder only capable of 80mph, you would be running at near max throttle and wouldn't have much capabilities for passing another vehicle. While if you chose the v8 that does 125mph, while driving 65mph you would just cruising along, not stressing the engine, yet still have plenty of power when you need to pass someone.
This might seem like a strange analogy, but I thought it may be a little easier to understand this way.
Not strange at all... that’s actually my language, I’m a mechanic. The sony I believe has roughy 100w next to the 80w on the Onkyo which I couldn’t imagine being much of a difference in that range. And almost everything I read says the Sony is subpar to the onkyo. Again, appreciate the help with this!

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Not strange at all... that’s actually my language, I’m a mechanic. The sony I believe has roughy 100w next to the 80w on the Onkyo which I couldn’t imagine being much of a difference in that range. And almost everything I read says the Sony is subpar to the onkyo. Again, appreciate the help with this!
No problem, I was just trying to think of a easy way someone who is not a total life long audio nut might understand. And the 20 watts difference wont make any difference. Plus as you stated, that particular sony has not had much love from it's owners. While the onkyo owners and reviewers seem to be pleased.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, the difference between 80wpc and 100wpc is trivial. Just 1dB difference in spl. Takes a doubling of power to gain a mere 3dB spl. You could use a 10wpc amp if you want or a 300wpc amp. All depends how they're used, not that they're merely connected.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you! I am sure you’re right about the sub lol I’d guess anyone would come in here and take a single listen and laugh. But it’s what I’ve got for now and I like it so when I can, I’ll definitely buy a better one! So the onkyo pushes approximately 80w per channel at 8 ohms.. the r-15ms are 85w continuous... that shouldn’t be a problem based on what you’re saying and what that article is saying, correct? And thanks again
Hey, the price was right for the sub, right? We all gotta start somewhere, but that would be on my short list of stuff to improve on.

Like HD said, the difference between 80 and 100 watts is pretty trivial when you're talking total volume. Here's a cool little tool we all like to play with that can give you an idea of the relation between volume and power. Just fill in the info in the boxes and click "calculate"

J

Jb901

Enthusiast
Hey, the price was right for the sub, right? We all gotta start somewhere, but that would be on my short list of stuff to improve on.

Like HD said, the difference between 80 and 100 watts is pretty trivial when you're talking total volume. Here's a cool little tool we all like to play with that can give you an idea of the relation between volume and power. Just fill in the info in the boxes and click "calculate"
Haha definitely the right price. That tool is awesome thanks! Gives a bit of a better understanding.

Had another question... would the Klipsch RP-150m speakers be worth the extra $100? I am tempted to get those, but that would basically pay for my receiver. Plus I already have that sub. When I get my house I planned on using these bookshelves for surround most likely, and put floor speakers next to the tv.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Haha definitely the right price. That tool is awesome thanks! Gives a bit of a better understanding.

Had another question... would the Klipsch RP-150m speakers be worth the extra $100? I am tempted to get those, but that would basically pay for my receiver. Plus I already have that sub. When I get my house I planned on using these bookshelves for surround most likely, and put floor speakers next to the tv.
Yes, most of us started with a pretty basic sub before figuring out there's much better available :) My journey was thru quite a few subs (now I just build my own).

Not sure what you're asking as far as worth $100. What's the difference you perceive?

J

Jb901

Enthusiast
Yes, most of us started with a pretty basic sub before figuring out there's much better available :) My journey was thru quite a few subs (now I just build my own).

Not sure what you're asking as far as worth $100. What's the difference you perceive?
Yea that’s what I figured lol, I’m just excited to be getting into it really. Well the Klipsch r-15m speakers seem nice but I’m reading that the step above them is the Rp-150m speakers.. I found some used ones for about $100 more than the r-15ms and I’m curious if they are worth getting.. again, I’m not experienced and doubt I could tell much of a difference but I’ve found discussions online saying that they are much better, but others that say it’s not worth it. Just wondering if anyone had experience or opinions on that!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yea that’s what I figured lol, I’m just excited to be getting into it really. Well the Klipsch r-15m speakers seem nice but I’m reading that the step above them is the Rp-150m speakers.. I found some used ones for about $100 more than the r-15ms and I’m curious if they are worth getting.. again, I’m not experienced and doubt I could tell much of a difference but I’ve found discussions online saying that they are much better, but others that say it’s not worth it. Just wondering if anyone had experience or opinions on that!
Well something you can do for yourself is see just what the specific differences are....start with basic things like impedance, driver size, box design and general measurements. You might find that if they have similar tweeters but slightly different mid-woofers that with the use of a sub that the difference is minimal....maybe :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven't heard or heard much about either model, but there's definitely a lot more out there as far as brands go. Of those 2 I'd probably go with the 150s.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
From what I’ve seen, the RP series is a step up all the way around. OP, you might not “know the difference”, but once you gain more experience and listen to other speakers, my hunch is you’ll look back and wish you’d gotten them now. I’ll leave the sub alone, but that’s a place that you’ll absolutely appreciate making an investment. A little good quality bass goes a long way. Even farther than a LOT of crummy bass.
You’ll get there.

J

Jb901

Enthusiast
From what I’ve seen, the RP series is a step up all the way around. OP, you might not “know the difference”, but once you gain more experience and listen to other speakers, my hunch is you’ll look back and wish you’d gotten them now. I’ll leave the sub alone, but that’s a place that you’ll absolutely appreciate making an investment. A little good quality bass goes a long way. Even farther than a LOT of crummy bass.
You’ll get there.
Wanted to follow up here.. went by Best Buy today and checked out the R-51m model (new version of the r-15m). They actually sounded amazing. So I went with the Rp-150ms... lmao bout to get awesome in my living room. Thanks for the help everyone.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wanted to follow up here.. went by Best Buy today and checked out the R-51m model (new version of the r-15m). They actually sounded amazing. So I went with the Rp-150ms... lmao bout to get awesome in my living room. Thanks for the help everyone.
Nice!!! I think you’ll be very happy.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You have one problem. You are not going to be able to use that sub with that receiver. You stated that it is a powered sub, but it is not, it is a passive one.

Receivers require a powered sub. So you will need to purchase a sub.

Picture of back of that sub.

In any event the build quality of that sub is clearly not adequate, so it is not worth buying an amp to power it. So bite the bullet and buy a powered sub.
That means if the sub does not plug into an AC outlet and connect to the receiver with an RCA lead, not speaker wire, then you don't want it.

J

Jb901

Enthusiast
You have one problem. You are not going to be able to use that sub with that receiver. You stated that it is a powered sub, but it is not, it is a passive one.

In any event the build quality of that sub is clearly not adequate, so it is not worth buying an amp to power it. So bite the bullet and buy a powered sub.
That means if the sub does not plug into an AC outlet and connect to the receiver with an RCA lead, not speaker wire, then you don't want it.
I must have posted the incorrect model number. Mine has a fan off the back of it, a detachable rca cable, plugs into the wall, and actually switches on independently. It will work with the receiver, already picked up the Onkyo! But no doubt, I am aware I need a better one. I got what I could for now!

Last edited:
J

Jb901

Enthusiast
Plugs right into the wall!

I just backtracked on everything I researched and that model matches the system, it’s really strange Sony seems to have posted the incorrect model number or I made a mistake somehow. That’s the only sub they created that looks like that with that package, however mine is completely different in the back. Weird

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis