How to integrate Yamaha NS-SW200 with Revel M16?

A

adrhc

Junior Audioholic
hi, I want to configure Revel Concerta2 M16 (speakers) to play with Yamaha NS-SW200 (subwoofer). I'll use Yamaha A-S501 as the integrated stereo amplifier to which I'll connect the speakers and the subwoofer; they all will sit in my front at about 3.5m distance.

What subwoofer crossover frequency (i.e. LPF) should I use?
Is it possible to set some crossover frequency (i.e. HPF) for the speakers too? how?

PS: I can tweak the audio signal with Easy Effects (HTPC runs it)
PS: see the high-cut subwoofer button on page 13 in en manual

1709213871442.png

HTPC audio outputs:
1709230767909.png

HTPC has also line out:
1709242627438.png

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Doesn't your receiver have a fixed crossover for the sub ouput?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, the integrated amp's manual indicates it will start to attenuate the signal at 90hz and that the subwoofer preout has a cutoff of 100hz. I'd probably start with the sub's low pass set in the same range and see how that sounds...

A

adrhc

Junior Audioholic
Fom Yamaha A-S501 stereo amplifier (this is not a receiver) manual:

at pg 4:
The SUBWOOFER OUT jack attenuates signals over 90 Hz.

at pg 15:
Output level/Output impedanceSUBWOOFER OUT (Cut Off Frequency: 100 Hz)3.5 V/1.2 kΩ

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, it's a stereo integrated amp :) Yes, that's what I found, too. Too bad it doesn't have a proper crossover, tho.

A

adrhc

Junior Audioholic
hm, I never seen an amp with crossover for speakers (i.e. HPF) while I'd rather prefer none for bass.

Last edited:
A

adrhc

Junior Audioholic
hm, I see this possible wiring provided by the subwoofer; could this wiring approach help me with the HPF (for the speakers)? or the subwoofer behaves like an extension cord for the wires going to the speakers?

Screenshot_20240227_204056_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Screenshot_20240227_203613_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
hm, I never seen an amp with crossover for speaker whilst I'd rather prefer none for bass.
2ch integrated amps rarely have such, but there are some. Pretty much required on avrs.

High level inputs on the sub are an option if your "amp" doesn't have a set of pre-outs (or a sub pre-out). When I looked at the sub manual didn't see any sign of it having a high pass filter, tho (some subs do, but often just have a low pass filter mismarked as a "crossover").

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The speaker terminals act more like an extension cord, as you put it. There is no HPF using the speaker terminals on the subwoofer. The only advantage to using the speaker terminals in your instance would be if you want to cross the subwoofer higher than the 90 Hz roll off of the subwoofer output on the amp, because the speaker output of the amp is full range. I don't think there is a way to HPF the speakers with that amp. If you use a LPF/crossover setting on the subwoofer below 90Hz then I would use the pre-amp out. Any higher setting on the sub using the pre-amp out would not make any difference as the pre-amp out already cuts off everything above 100Hz.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Most subs have a fixed high pass for the main speakers as well on the speaker level inputs. The knob affects only the sub, not the mains.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Most subs have a fixed high pass for the main speakers as well on the speaker level inputs. The knob affects only the sub, not the mains.
I can't think of many subs that provide a high pass at all....let alone a fixed one. Most often I see a hpf as an option with rca input/output.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I can't think of many subs that provide a high pass at all....let alone a fixed one. Most often I see a hpf as an option with rca input/output.
RSL Speedwoofer 12S has adjustable high pass...I use it to feed two stacked 10S Speedwoofers for upper bass, and let the 12S handle the lowest.
Quite a handy feature.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
RSL Speedwoofer 12S has adjustable high pass...I use it to feed two stacked 10S Speedwoofers for upper bass, and let the 12S handle the lowest.
Quite a handy feature.
Good to know, seems to be less choice with this feature these days.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Quite a handy feature.
That is nice, but also far less common. There were always a few that had features like this, but you would really have to be looking for that capability to find it usually.

With subs that have speaker level out, you will usually have to dig through the manual to see if there is no filter and if there is, what it is. In the past, it was usually 80hz, 90hz, or 100hz on the speaker level output and was not adjustable.

A

adrhc

Junior Audioholic
Would it be a solution to connect the line-out (1x Jack to 2x RCA) to the (active) subwoofer while the optical to the amp, then to use Easy Effects to cut low frequencies going to the amp but let all frequencies to go to the subwoofer, then use the subwoofer's LPF knob to cut the received high frequencies?

PS: let's suppose HTPC is able to output on both optical and line-out

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What is Easy Effects? Not familiar with it but using a line out in addition to pre-outs would just complicate volume/level control (line out won't have volume control, whereas a pre-out does).

A

adrhc

Junior Audioholic
What is Easy Effects? Not familiar with it but using a line out in addition to pre-outs would just complicate volume/level control (line out won't have volume control, whereas a pre-out does).
Easy Effects (HTPC runs it)

ah, you are right about the volume control but the volume level will be fixed anyway for both optical and line-out so I guess it won’t bother me - I intend to control the volume from the audio source, e.g. from TV which sees & uses HTPC as a Bluetooth speaker

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The easy effects would likely be applied to both outputs anyways if they can be used simultaneously. I think the best you can do with that integrated amp is simply use the sub pre-out as is and adjust the low pass on the sub appropriately (or even let it go natively if it sounds good that way). Just the limitation of these sort of 2ch integrated amps....

A

adrhc

Junior Audioholic
The easy effects would likely be applied to both outputs anyways if they can be used simultaneously. I think the best you can do with that integrated amp is simply use the sub pre-out as is and adjust the low pass on the sub appropriately (or even let it go natively if it sounds good that way). Just the limitation of these sort of 2ch integrated amps....
no, Easy Effects is able to use distinct audio transformations on distinct outputs -> update: actually I’m not sure about this

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis