how to hook up rolls he18 buzz between pre amp and dennon avr 3700h?

C

Cory McComb

Audiophyte
Hey there i am trying to get rid of ground loop issues between my crown xls 1002 pre amp and my dennon avr 3700h. New to all this and i picked up a rolls he 18 buzz off . What is the proper way to install it between the pre amp and the avr? It says it intended to receive line level and to not connect to a speaker level signal (the out put of a power amp) any help with this would be appreciated . I have my pc with 3080ti ftw 3 gpu to a lg c1 oled and a crown acting as a preamp for the front tower sp-eakers,dennonn avr 3700h as well. all speakers in system are ,kef q 950,kef q650,kef q150 for surrounds, and kef c168 in ceiling . Issues im having are computer output is static in audio ,hum and when scrolling mouse on screen and random popping noises. Lifting the ground from the pc eliminates this but i know i cannot leave it set up this way ,the pre amp when powered off also seems to stop it. Also all connections for video and sound between components are hdmi, so i think i have 2 problems going on a ground loop and a interference issue.from what i have read about this so far im 2 weeks in in trying to solve this problem.I have the rolls he 18 here and would like to try it but dont want to hook it up wrong and fry something.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey there i am trying to get rid of ground loop issues between my crown xls 1002 pre amp and my dennon avr 3700h. New to all this and i picked up a rolls he 18 buzz off . What is the proper way to install it between the pre amp and the avr? It says it intended to receive line level and to not connect to a speaker level signal (the out put of a power amp) any help with this would be appreciated . I have my pc with 3080ti ftw 3 gpu to a lg c1 oled and a crown acting as a preamp for the front tower sp-eakers,dennonn avr 3700h as well. all speakers in system are ,kef q 950,kef q650,kef q150 for surrounds, and kef c168 in ceiling . Issues im having are computer output is static in audio ,hum and when scrolling mouse on screen and random popping noises. Lifting the ground from the pc eliminates this but i know i cannot leave it set up this way ,the pre amp when powered off also seems to stop it. Also all connections for video and sound between components are hdmi, so i think i have 2 problems going on a ground loop and a interference issue.from what i have read about this so far im 2 weeks in in trying to solve this problem.I have the rolls he 18 here and would like to try it but dont want to hook it up wrong and fry something.
So, your problem is your computer. So putting that unit after the preamp will NOT help. You have to stop this at the computer. It sounds as if your computer has serious internal grounding issues, which is common in computers. First remove all external connections from the computer, except the connection to the Crown. Does that stop it?

If your computer has an audio digital out, then that would be your best connection to the DENON. I don't know why you have the Crown preamp, you need to explain that. If you think it is to improve audio quality, then you are barking up the wrong alley for sure.

C

Cory McComb

Audiophyte
The pc is connected through the dennon avr via hdmi from the gpu. The crown is running the front towers and the avr is running the rest of the speakers in my set up. There is no physical connection from my pc to the crown amp. the crown amp was installed to get more power to the front towers then my last avr could produce. I figured since it worked so well with my last one i would leave it in with the new dennon.and gain some power on the rest of the channels . i have 2 powered subs,polk hts 12,Two front kef q950's and a kef q650 center. A pair of kef q150's for rear surrounds, and 4 kef c160er in ceiling . Do you think it would be better to run all speakers off just the avr vs using the crown ? i am aware its a class d amp and i had no noise prior to up grading a harmon kardon avr 247 but i was also using optical cable for a audio connection. I have read many posts about people having similar issues with static in audio and popping and crackling with the dennon avr 3700h and lg tvs with nvidia gpus . I have tried everythingi i can think grounding pc chasis to avr to pre amp . I'm open to any suggestions at this point i bought the rolls he 18 because ii was a 1 day delivery vs the jensen. i have added new monster home theater surge protectors with clean noise as well no difference,.also using austere 8k hdmi cables and 1 active certified hdmi cable 2.1. when pc is hooked to tv no issues at all until i hook it to avr.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Crown XLS1002 is a power amp, not a pre-amp. Did you try simply lifting the ground on the XLS to see if that was the problem initially?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The pc is connected through the dennon avr via hdmi from the gpu. The crown is running the front towers and the avr is running the rest of the speakers in my set up. There is no physical connection from my pc to the crown amp. the crown amp was installed to get more power to the front towers then my last avr could produce. I figured since it worked so well with my last one i would leave it in with the new dennon.and gain some power on the rest of the channels . i have 2 powered subs,polk hts 12,Two front kef q950's and a kef q650 center. A pair of kef q150's for rear surrounds, and 4 kef c160er in ceiling . Do you think it would be better to run all speakers off just the avr vs using the crown ? i am aware its a class d amp and i had no noise prior to up grading a harmon kardon avr 247 but i was also using optical cable for a audio connection. I have read many posts about people having similar issues with static in audio and popping and crackling with the dennon avr 3700h and lg tvs with nvidia gpus . I have tried everythingi i can think grounding pc chasis to avr to pre amp . I'm open to any suggestions at this point i bought the rolls he 18 because ii was a 1 day delivery vs the jensen. i have added new monster home theater surge protectors with clean noise as well no difference,.also using austere 8k hdmi cables and 1 active certified hdmi cable 2.1. when pc is hooked to tv no issues at all until i hook it to avr.
You caused a lot of confusion by using the wrong terms.

So if you disconnect the HDMI cable from the computer does the hum stop? If it does, then pull all connections from the computer and then reconnect the HDMI cable. Does it still hum or not? After that we can start to make sense of it all. Computers bought on the open market are notorious for internal ground loops. Basically computers connected to AV and audio systems, need to by designed and built by the owners. All my audio and AV builds are in house. Even then you can have trouble, my last HTPC rebuild had a problem, because the power supply had an internal ground loop, so I had to replace that with another brand.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis