How to hook up Karaoke to new Sony AV Receiver???

jcrowde3

jcrowde3

Junior Audioholic
A separate karaoke system is probably the way to go in many cases. Setting them up with an AVR is a pain, at least in my experience.

I have not had problems with blown tweeters, etc. in my system. Given our rather modest vocal abilities, there is very little temptation to turn the volume up enough to cause damage to the speakers.
This is what I have done and it works the best. I used to have a HDMI Mixer, but I could never get the voice loud enough to really sound like you were doing karaoke. It's best for the voice to come through it's own speaker. I have one of those portable bluetooth speakers that look like a guitar amp and you can put a mic into. Multi tasker!

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I also spent 50 years of my life designing new homes and subdivisions for builders and published plan books, all in a meticulous time-consuming and painstaking manner of old school hand drafting . . . that defines patience! Anyway, a grasshopper I might question, somewhat dissatisfied with how difficult everything is made to work these days, yes definitely! Anyone agree with me?
I understand, and I do agree.

There's a big difference between designing something yourself vs trying to figure out something that was designed by someone else. My impression is that manufacturers of audio equipment have not spent enough time and effort on user interfaces, etc. (I will say, however, that the initial setup menu/process on my last 3 Denons has been quite straightforward). The manufacturers seem to assume that customers are okay with spending hours sorting through a massive owners manual to find a needle in a haystack.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Oh, and don’t subject home theater gear to karaoke sessions. Try something like this kit.
The absolute problem with karaoke systems is that they have an absolute piss-poor design. Karaoke is about having the words on a TV while you sing along with backing audio. Most of the systems are designed around either pure audio, or a mic and speakers, with zero regard for the video portion. It gets left up to the unwitting, and often unknowing consumer to deal with analog audio in a purely HDMI world. It's all really, REALLY difficult.

The reality is that these system, in a consumer's home, are just a nightmare. I've yet to see a well implemented home karaoke system that incorporates the video portion from the start. They really should have one, or at least, I'd like to know where it is.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Generally you would add a mixer so you can blend the sources to your liking. @AcuDefTecGuy may have some ideas for you....he's into the karaoke, too.
Yep. I would NEVER allow karaoke with my expensive speakers/system unless the karaoke is first hooked up to a Yamaha mixer with COMPRESSION feature so that all those UNWANTED PEAKS are removed before they ever get to the AVR/Amp/Speakers.

Otherwise, as already mentioned, BLOWN TWEETERS. :D

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Wouldn’t do it now, but did once upon a time. Had a few laserdisc players that had the karaoke function built into them. Hooking the players to a receiver was as easy as with any other player. Never hurt the Klipsch Forte IIs I had then but some claimed to have been scarred by my singing.:confused: Using a karaoke player like the old laserdisc or VCD versions with composite video output can be very difficult if an AVR does not convert the analog input to HDMI output. Large TVs have dropped composite inputs almost all the way around and one might need the breakout(mini to RCA) cables to get the video from an analog video device or the composite video output of some AVRs that can’t do the conversion.

L

Laro

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for your time and all the advice guys! I've returned all the goodies I purchased. Not only did I find it too complicated, but I decided making room for a receiver, subwoofer and 5 speakers was just too much clutter! I like simplicity when possible! Over the years I have listened to many more expensive systems and never was impressed enough to dump my 321. I will probably keep it going as long as it will last and maybe for music only as it really doesn't do to well when watching movies. Perhaps a good answer for me, since I'm not a true audiophile, would be to buy a really good soundbar. I really don't have a budget, but just want a good dependable long-lasting bang for the buck that I don't have to use my phone to operate. I kind of like the technology of the Sennheiser Ambio, but its just such a bulky ugly looking thing and not very aesthetically pleasing for $2500. Oh yes, I know what amazing equipment I could buy for that amount, but again, I like simplicity, ingenuity and compactness with high quality. This is why I drive an Ioniq that's small, gets 60 mpg, fun to drive and whose hatchback will haul a ton of stuff. And why I own his and hers Jupiter electric bikes that both fold down to nothing, fit into the back of the Ioniq to take anywhere, etc. etc. The Karaoke thing, well I would just as soon not have it (my wife's voice is . . . . no comment!), but she really enjoys it so perhaps that will attach to a soundbar more easily than a receiver, not sure???

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
@AcuDefTechGuy Andrew! For some reason when you told me you like singing Karaoke couldn't help think of something like this of one of your weekend get togethers at your home with friends and family. :p ;):cool:
23370866-D4BD-425D-9BE2-DF7C9248C63D.jpeg

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yep. I would NEVER allow karaoke with my expensive speakers/system unless the karaoke is first hooked up to a Yamaha mixer with COMPRESSION feature so that all those UNWANTED PEAKS are removed before they ever get to the AVR/Amp/Speakers.

Otherwise, as already mentioned, BLOWN TWEETERS. :D
So you mean even RBH tweeters can get Blowed?. :p All this time I thought it was just 5 buck tweeters in Polk speakers that got blown :p:D
860A2FE6-BDCA-495B-8256-604F8D087092.jpeg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis