How to hook up Karaoke to new Sony AV Receiver???

L

Laro

Audioholic Intern
OK Guys, I unboxed my new Sony STR-DH790 AV Receiver today and my new SVS Prime Satellite 5.1 will be coming on Saturday. :) Looked on Google and You Tube and cannot find any info on how to properly hook up my wife's Bietrun UHF Wireless Karaoke Microphone System to the receiver? She'll be wanting to sing along with the Karaoke tunes found on You Tube on our 65" Samsung TV. I'm new at this, so please help with a detailed layman's explanation or better yet, a schematic . . . I'm good at reading blueprints. I've attached photos of the back of both units. Thanks so much!
Back of Bietrun  Karaoke Wireless Microphone System.png
Back of Sony Receiver.png

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I dont really know but since nobody has replied yet ill give it a shot. Others will hopefully chime in with more(or better) information.

AVRs arent really made to do that anymore, i think the tape loop of old could be used for this kind of thing.
If the TV is the source you might be able to use the analogue out from the TV (either left and right RCA or a headphone out type connector to L and R RCA) then into the karaoke input RCA L and R. Then from the karaoke L and R outputs to a pair of analogue inputs on the AVR, probably best not to use the TV input there as it may be defaulted the ARC signal.(so cbl/cd/bluray ones)

This is not optimal and will have many places for partial volume control which can be a hassle.(TV/Karaoke/AVR all have volume controls probably)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L

Laro

Audioholic Intern
I appreciate your reply Leemix. Unfortunately the back of my Samsung TV has only 4 ports (Connect One, LAN, EX-Link & USB). The Connect One hub of the TV is connected to a box that has 4 HDMI in ports, 1 digital optical out port, 1 antenna in port & 2 USB ports. This box is intended to eliminate cable clutter on the back of TV. Seems there should be a simple way to connect this small Karaoke unit, but I'm afraid to experiment and possibly damage my new Sony receiver. Hopefully I will get more replies here with one having a simple solution! Thanks!
Connect One box.jpg

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Basically the same should work but you would need to use the optical out from the TV box into a DAC then analogue to the karaoke box and from that analogue to the AVR.

DAC = Digital to Analogue Converter

Lets hope others chime in but HDMI is made to not be messed with, so im not sure a really simple solution with that karaoke box exist.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Okay, I'll bite. I've spent many hours (and quite a few $$) to get a Karaoke set-up decent enough to satisfy my wife and her girl friends. Our system integrates differently as we don't use YouTube for source material, but I'm thinking we can get this sorted. First we need to get the model of the the Bietrun UHF Wireless Karaoke Microphone System, or a link to it's manual (which would be even quicker), and the same for the Samsung TV.

My first thought is to gain audio output from the Samsung TV when on YouTube, and feed it to the Bietrun where it would mix with the Mic vocals, and then output that into the Sony via one of the analogue inputs (SA CD/CD?).

Please advise and I'll get into the details.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
To me this all seems like a bad idea. Every time I have been around people trying to use hi-fi speakers to sing through, bad things happen, like blown tweeters. To each his /her own. I just think that needed to be said. Peace and goodwill.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Generally you would add a mixer so you can blend the sources to your liking. @AcuDefTecGuy may have some ideas for you....he's into the karaoke, too.

L

Laro

Audioholic Intern
OK Jim, here are the links below, but don't go to too much trouble because Mark makes a good point. Perhaps I should keep my old Bose 321 in the cabinet along with the new equipment just for playing CD's (if the Bose sounds better than the new SVS speakers) and for playing her Karaoke system. That way, if anything gets blown or damaged in some way I am only out a fraction of the cost of the new equipment (Bose 321 is probably worth only $200 at most on Craigslist) and the new equipment will best the home theater!

Bietrun Karaoke Manual: https://fccid.io/2AO85-WXM06/User-Manual/User-Manual-4588550
Samsung TV Manual: https://www.manualslib.com/products/Samsung-Un65ks8000-5132667.html

Thanks guys!

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Laro,

Thanks for the links / model numbers. The Samsung TV has very limited outputs, but it would be easy to buy a Digital & Optical converter to Analogue (RCA), and feed that (via RCA Cables) into your Bietrun Karaoke unit, where it would mix with the Mic vocals, and then output that (via RCA Cables) into the Sony via one of the analogue inputs (SA CD/CD). The Bietrun manual is a bit sparse, but I assume the "music" control on the front adjusts the gain (volume) for the RCA inputs on the rear panel. A combination of that control, and the Mic level will allow you to "mix" the vocals as lovinthehd alluded to above.

These converters are dirt cheap these days, and I found a decent one for $12 US on Amazon.com.

Optical to Analogue Converter

Mark does make a point, but it's not the set-up that causes issues, it's the operators. I've seen people drive semi decent systems into damaging distortion levels just playing music at a party, when they want it to louder than it is capable of (even when I sound like a jerk and warn them they are pushing it too hard ). Of course it's usually when they've had a bit too much. The next day they are asking what they should do after they've popped the tweeters on a speaker or two...

My only caution is don't allow the mics to get into a feedback loop, when the singers point the "open" Mic directly at a speaker. The resulting Howl can also cause damage, but typically it will bother folks long before that, and they'll turn the Mic away or shut it down. Play your system in stereo (2 fronts with a sub) only. You'll want to use your SVS Primes for sure.

With a little practice you'll soon know where the limits are for your system.

I hope this is helpful. Enjoy!

L

Laro

Audioholic Intern
Hi Jim,

You went to a lot of trouble for me and I very much appreciate it . . . thanks! Unfortunately your link would not open for me, but I can easily look for that converter. Unfortunately again, after all your trouble, I sent back the Sony receiver and the SVS speakers as it was all just too complicated for my wife and I after playing with for a few days. We are not very tech oriented. The Bose 321 we've had for 17 years has had a good sound and was pretty simple to operate. Guess a soundbar, although I know most Audioholics are not too keen on them nor Bose products, would be the best for us to learn and operate. That again is another whole world of confusion as there seems to be a ton of them on the market and I've watched You Tube reviews until my eyes are shot. So far I am partial to these four below:

I am very curious if any or all of these four would be an upgrade in sound quality for movies and music over my Bose 321? Don't know if you have had any experience with soundbars, but if you would like, please advise! Or anyone reading this, your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again Jim!

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Laro,

Sorry to hear you've abandoned the Sony receiver and the SVS speakers, but each to their own. (I know all about the WAF => Wife Acceptance Factor - it runs wild here at Audioholics at times...;))

Before you jump into Soundbars, you may want to consider "powered" or "active" speakers, and a Sub. SVS has a highly rated system on a risk free 45 day return policy. Check it out here:

Prime Wireless 2.1 Powered Speaker System

SVS prime-wireless-speaker-system

Whatever you do, enjoy it!

PS - These systems can integrate your wife's Karaoke as I described above with a converter.

L

Laro

Audioholic Intern
Yes Jim, I'm sorry too as I believe if I had the smarts to run it, it would have sounded really good. You mentioned powered or active speakers? Don't those require an AV receiver too, just like the Sony I am returning? That's what we were having problems with . . . trying to use our different devices, no sound when streaming You Tube, no way to watch either the TV or projector but only at the same time, etc. etc. Guess we just didn't have the patience at our age!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The general approach we advise here is to first say what you want to do and how you want to be able to do it, with what budget and other considerations then get a recommendation before buying. Patience, grasshopper.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Laro, all of this just requires average intelligence, and a bit of patience to learn something new. Audio, especially good audio, is not usually done in the pursuit of instant gratification. It has nothing to do with age. My 87 year old mother can run her Sony HT Receiver with various inputs, now that she's been taught, and has had time to get comfortable with it. Once correctly configured, a HT (Home Theater) receiver is quite simple to operate these days.

If you are sending back your system just because you haven't figured out some things, I suggest you hold off until you let us help you sort it, and then decide. But if it's shipped already, then it is what it is...

In regard to your question, do powered or active speakers require a receiver? The powered speakers all have built-in amplifier(s) with multiple inputs similar to a receiver; but don't have any 5+ channel capability (2.1 only), or the ability to switch HDMI sources, or display anything on your TV screen. Most powered speakers have quite a few inputs, and typically a small remote to control things.

To me it sounds like you bought the wrong receiver if you want two HDMI outputs for a TV & Projector. Lots of receivers have 2 HDMI (or more) outputs so you can drive TVs, Monitors, and Projectors. I think all you have to do to get YouTube sound is connect the TV via HDMI (TV OUT / ARC) on the Connect One Hub, and set the source on the Sony receiver to TV. However, the Samsung Manuals do not give any clarity if one of the Connect One Hub HDMI Inputs is ARC, but I expect at least one is. Please confirm.

You need to typically think of the Sony HT receiver as the nerve center where all of the sources connect to it and then it funnels the selected video portion to whatever it's connected to. However, when you use a Smart Hub source from the TV (Netflix, YouTube, etc.,) the TV controls the video and sends the audio to the receiver via the two way ARC (Audio Return Channel) HDMI cable.

As lovinthehd said, tell us what you want to do and we can help you sort it. Tell us what you want to connect to the system, preferably with make and model numbers and /or links to the manuals. There's a lot of talent here who can assist if you just work with us a little. It's really not that hard.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
This is when I come in, set it up for you, and give you a remote with one button that says 'Karaoke' and you press it and go.

A good universal remote is the difference between a usable system and a garbage system for some people. Simple as that.

L

Laro

Audioholic Intern
Well said Lovinthehd, but we all have different degrees of patience for different things and at different times in our lives . . . usually on those things we love the most. I am not into music and audio equipment as much as I was during the ages of 16 to 40, so perhaps I don't belong here? My first experience with stereo was when we had a custom built 30" high large cabinet in 2 corners, each with a 12" woofer (non acoustic suspended) with a fm tuner and huge separate amplifier on top of one and an am tuner and huge separate amplifier on the other, all packed with tubes. Stereo was only broadcast on certain days at certain times and not often in 1959. Then, while in the Navy learning Data Processing on IBM equipment, I bought my first KLH (first among acoustic suspension with 2 speakers and a turntable) compact stereo for $300 in Baltimore. It was awesome and totally blew away our old custom built system. Now I am 78 and have other interests, many of which I display great patience for, but when I want to play music or watch TV these days, I don't wish to go through many different commands on a TV screen, mess with my phone for 30 minutes to make it all work and read a 1/4" thick book just to learn to turn on my TV, DVD player or other devices. Even today I have 8 remotes by my chair, One for the TV, the cable box, the Bose 321, the DVD player, the remote controlled 120" projector screen, the projector, an optical switch and one for room lighting . . . . uuuugh! Never could find a universal that would work! I also spent 50 years of my life designing new homes and subdivisions for builders and published plan books, all in a meticulous time-consuming and painstaking manner of old school hand drafting . . . that defines patience! Anyway, a grasshopper I might question, somewhat dissatisfied with how difficult everything is made to work these days, yes definitely! Anyone agree with me?

Jim, your replies are always very helpful, thanks! Yes, I knew I needed two HDMI outs, but it didn't seem sensible to spend the extra $200 or $300 to get it. And yes, my TV does have an ARC hub and i was using it. I would like to make a point here though. Audioholics tend to put down Bose, but let me state something in their defense! I have been running my Bose 321 for movies and music 7 days a week, often 17 hours a day for 17 years (mostly after retiring) without a moments problem and it sounds as good now as when I bought it!. How many of these modern day audio systems would do that? HA! By what I read on the Amazon reviews, many cannot get them to work correctly from day one! I think electronics will be changing drastically in the next few years. Even now I read that HDMI will soon disappear. Will it be easier or more difficult . . . who knows? My guess is maybe easier as everything will be voice control right out of the box! So where will I go from here . . . well, I'll just hang for a while and the truth will get stronger. My Bose won't last forever, but then who knows? A 5.1 would be nice to have, but I will be looking for the long lasting quality of my Bose and ease of use and I'm not certain its available . . . . even from Bose today with everything China made!

Anyway, a big thanks to both of you and its nice to know that knowledgable folks like you are there and willing to help with whatever I purchase in the future! Have a wonderful day! :)

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Laro, thanks for the reply.

While I'm not a huge fan of Bose systems in general, I do have some fabulous Bose Bluetooth Wireless Noise cancelling headphones I use almost every day. IMHO they lead the pack in this area, and have for more than a decade. I also have a nice Bose Bluetooth Speaker my wife gave me for Christmas many moons ago, which has worked flawlessly. The issue most folks here have with Bose is, for the same, or far less $$, you can get speakers and electronics that significantly out perform them by wide margins.

I try not to follow the crowd, and do my own evaluations when it's time to buy something, but I do my homework in regards to real reviews (with credible data!) beforehand to narrow the field. Bose almost never publishes any significant data, and independent technical reviewers find a lot of their equipment lacking. For the "purists" Bose isn't a fit, but for the masses, they gobble them up. By the way, there is a Bose system in my 2019 Mazda CX-9 signature that sounds just fine.

If you want help, you need to define your needs and wants before heading off to purchase equipment that may, or may not, fit. If you are working to a Budget, that too can be accommodated (within reason). Folks here aren't elitist (at least most aren't ;) ) and I personally tend to focus on value, not name brand. As mentioned above, a unified Remote may be just what you need to rid yourself of table top clutter.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I seem to remember recommending a different Sony model in one of your other threads that had two hdmi outputs. Bose systems are not cheap so I’m glad you have used your 321 for such a long time. But, it is unreasonable to think that one could get the kinds of features you want now with your budget. I’m not here to bash Bose and have used the 321 and enjoyed it for what it is and I have tried to help anybody who came around here with Bose setups. I’ll recommend, again, a receiver with two HDMI outputs and a separate streaming device such as the Roku Ultra and stop using the Samsung apps. Just about any device on the market will do a better job of streaming than that TV. If you want 5.1 audio, you can find Bose Acoustimass 5.1 systems online if you are open to used items. They can be connected to a receiver of other makes. It is definitely more helpful when sitting next to somebody and having them show you how to set something up than flying blind and hunting online for help. So, enjoy the 321 a bit longer and consider the budget as more money will give you more options. You can do more spending $1,000 on other brand gear than you can spending $3,000 on some Bose multi channel systems. That’s not a knock at Bose, it’s just a fact. Whatever you do, enjoy it!

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Oh, and don’t subject home theater gear to karaoke sessions. Try something like this kit.
A separate karaoke system is probably the way to go in many cases. Setting them up with an AVR is a pain, at least in my experience.

I have not had problems with blown tweeters, etc. in my system. Given our rather modest vocal abilities, there is very little temptation to turn the volume up enough to cause damage to the speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis