How to hang rear speakers from ceiling

lancer360

lancer360

Junior Audioholic
I have three of my four rear speakers that are in front of windows. I currently have them mounted near the ceiling, but I want to lower them to the correct height in anticipation of upgrading to Atmos. Don't want to do stands due to kids and dogs. I prefer to hang them from the celing. With 9' ceilings this will be 4' or 5' down. Stainless cable would be easy to do, but anyone know of another way, maybe DIY pipe mount or a purchased option?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
There's a gazillion different types of articulating arm mounts, but just be prepared to put screws in to said speakers to ensure a SAFE mount.

That said, what the actual speaker is may provide other options to mounting but do not shy away from screwing it down.

lancer360

lancer360

Junior Audioholic
Speakers are DIY, so I am ok with screwing into them. They are around 15 lbs each. I haven't seen any articulating arms that are designed to attach to the ceiling and reach down 4 to 5 feet. Can you send me a link?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

For 4-5 ft., you’re going to have to DIY the mounts, too.

You might build some stands like this, then fill them with sand. That should make them heavy enough to be kid and dog proof. To top it off, then bolt the speakers to the stand.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Another option would be using fancy chains to hang the cabinets if you don't mind using them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Saw a guy who used macrame plant hangers for his speakers...

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
You could use a long drop projector mount with sufficient weight capacity.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis