How to get desk job ? Or home work

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
It seems impossible I kept trying and stopped applying a year ago . What are other ways to make money either at home ??
My parents keep trying to force to me to get disability, screw that I want a job or something it’s not enough cash to survive on . They hate me enough to give my uncle a free Business and offer me noting … I got injured helping him too so couldn’t do it anymore..

Can’t do standing job due to back injury and knees bad ,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It seems impossible I kept trying and stopped applying a year ago . What are other ways to make money either at home ??
My parents keep trying to force to me to get disability, screw that I want a job or something it’s not enough cash to survive on . They hate me enough to give my uncle a free Business and offer me noting … I got injured helping him too so couldn’t do it anymore..

Your location?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Apply Apply Apply. Most jobs won't get back to you, so you just need to apply to everything that you're qualified for.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic

Gotta have an education.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Gotta have an education.
I already have almost an associates in graphic design just haven’t went back to confirm I have enough credits to graduate.. don’t seem to be any jobs in that field but I may as well go see if I’m finished already. Had a mental breakdown never went back … 2-3 years ago
Felt like a useless degree but it may help job search ..
Lotta debt … probably over 20k now .
Gotta start applying.. my car won’t last too many more years but fixing exhaust could make it last long enough for a new used one..

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
About the only work from home job you can get without experience is call center work. They supply an internet phone and you pay for the internet service, and you need good bandwidth for call quality. Doesn't pay much since you're competing with Indian call centers and it takes dicipline to stick to it.

As just mentioned, education is the way to go. That usually means running up some debt to pay for school and then paying off the school loan over a few years, but then your have the certification and some experience. I don't know how tough it is in the States, but in Canada there is a lot of support for the disabled, both in education, job training and job placement. Look into whatever government support is available both federally and from the state. That may mean being registered as disabled in order to get support. Do some thorough research.

If you're close to completing the graphic design degree, that is also a job that can be done from home. My nephew started in that field working in the office, but with Covid and overtime requirements does most of his work from his apartment now. It can also pay well if you get in with a good company and can complete work quickly. You'll need a capable PC or Mac of course.

What he did was do some work on the side for a woman running her own ad business. He didn't make much, but he got experience and built up a portfolio. He then used that portfolio to sell himself and get the job he currently holds. Take a planned approach, step by step, with set goals along the way. That way when you complete a step or reach a goal, you feel like you are making progress and that builds confidence.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
I already have almost an associates in graphic design just haven’t went back to confirm I have enough credits to graduate.. don’t seem to be any jobs in that field but I may as well go see if I’m finished already. Had a mental breakdown never went back … 2-3 years ago
Gotta start applying.. my car won’t last too many more years but fixing exhaust could make it last long enough for a new used one..
I'll tell you exactly what I told my kids. I'm 60 years old and have been in IT since 1979. I have a BS and an MBA, I hire people monthly for jobs starting just below $100k.

An almost degree is no degree. A bachelor's today is like a high school diploma when I was a kid. You're competing for a job with people who minimally have a BS and many times a Master's from all over the planet and it doesn't matter what field you're in unless your field is a trade (plumber, electrician, etc.). Finish the degree and start looking for internships and be willing to relocate. Jobs rarely come to you, you have to go get them.

Good luck to you.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I'll tell you exactly what I told my kids. I'm 60 years old and have been in IT since 1979. I have a BS and an MBA, I hire people monthly for jobs starting just below $100k.

An almost degree is no degree. A bachelor's today is like a high school diploma when I was a kid. You're competing for a job with people who minimally have a BS and many times a Master's from all over the planet and it doesn't matter what field you're in unless your field is a trade (plumber, electrician, etc.). Finish the degree and start looking for internships and be willing to relocate. Jobs rarely come to you, you have to go get them.

Good luck to you.
Why on earth do we gotta go threw such debt slavery to even find a job ???
Think 2 year is enough to find A job ??
The stress of school was pretty brutal ..

Internships that pay decent wouldn’t be bad but cannot accept no pay or anything..

If said job doesn’t pay enough to relocation it’s not worth it .. cost of living is insanity
Over 50-100mil + jobs already left usa that were desk jobs … in last few decades

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Oh gawd. It's happening all over again!
Dude!
Wasn't it @jinjuku that once made you an offer to get you trained in IT, I think, so that you could do exactly what you are back here whining about doing? It's been a while, but you didn't even respond to him!!!

If you act in public even remotely like you comport yourself here, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest why you can't get or keep a job.

And everytime you bring this sob story up, you also bring up your knees and your back...

Dude! We all get it. Most of us are likely injured someway, too. Some have legitimate Disability claims and still go out and DO THINGS that contribute to their well being, including hold down jobs.

Stop being a broken record. Go out and take charge of your life.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
And while this is still rattling around in my brain:

I said this before to you, too: I was an overly entitled kid leaving Music school and moving to San Francisco with my Band. I knew the world owed me and expected to just cruise through life. When the .com bubble burst, I was in a job that kept me a little protected for a while, but a divorce happened and the economy didn't improve... Next thing I know I'm being let go.
I took my "almost" BM degree on the job hunt and was going up against PhDs for entry-level admin jobs. Ended up in a temp pool for a while.
That's when I took the decision seriously to look at culinary school. I threw myself at it and started working in a brutal restaurant evenings while going to school in the morning. at first I still thought the world owed me, but a few very unfriendly lessons later, and I was a Willow Tree, bending and never breaking, no matter the storm I had to face. 5 years after I started Culinary school I started my own business as a Private Chef working for people with more money than you can grok. About 6 or 7 years later I was the Executive Chef at the Flagship Winery for an international portfolio.

All because I had the desire and drive to take charge of my life and change my situation. I chose to be good at something, and I conquered it.

What have you chosen to do?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Whine about school and no training all you like. Not having the discipline to finish a degree will show poorly to most employers. If you thought school was stressful, wait until you get a job. :rolleyes: If you aren't willing to put in some work on yourself, why should anyone hire you? You WILL need to learn skills on the job if you want to stay relevant and employed.

If you're really serious about learning some skills, maybe you should reach out to @jinjuku and see if he'd still be willing to help you out. His offer of help was extremely generous and you never even said a word about it, not even a "no thanks."

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Look around- graphic design is everywhere.

A killer resume is critical, although it may not be a bad idea to check with your school to see if they have a department for job placement and people who can mentor when students are at an impasse. Hopefully, you can find something with a company that provides additional training.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Not having the discipline to finish a degree will show poorly to most employers.
You would be surprised to know how common it is not completing a degree in computer science in Sweden. While they may have excellent grades in written tests they are unable to complete a thesis, which arguably is the only thing they have to do on their own.

They are still hired, though.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
You would be surprised to know how common it is not completing a degree in computer science in Sweden. While they may have excellent grades in written tests they are unable to complete a thesis, which arguably is the only thing they have to do on their own.

They are still hired, though.
There is no thesis required for a 2 year (Associates) or 4 year (Bachelor's) degree in America.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
There is no thesis required for a 2 year (Associates) or 4 year (Bachelor's) degree in America.
Ah, I was unclear: This is for what is now called Master of Science in EU, adopted from the Anglo-Saxon educational system. It’s nominally 5 years long.

I published my master thesis, but in another field in another time.

Edit: 5 years in total with bachelors and masters degree. There are still some differences in length, depending on field and country. What is significant is the emphasis on course work over research, including PhD.

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Why on earth do we gotta go threw such debt slavery to even find a job ???
Think 2 year is enough to find A job ??
The stress of school was pretty brutal ..

Internships that pay decent wouldn’t be bad but cannot accept no pay or anything..

If said job doesn’t pay enough to relocation it’s not worth it .. cost of living is insanity
Over 50-100mil + jobs already left usa that were desk jobs … in last few decades
I'll give you credit for not going on disability.

To my mind, the key is to figure out what you want, make a plan to get it, and stick with it. Thinking about jobs that may have left will not change reality. Figure out what your options are here in the real world, not a world that does not exist.

I'm not sure my story will help, but here it is. Neither of my parents went to college. My dad had a business that was doing fairly well until the recession hit in 1973. My dad lost the business, became an alcoholic (later died from it), parents got divorced, we lived on food stamps and assistance.

I started college not knowing what I really wanted to do. Got bad grades, thought I was dumb, quit college and worked odd jobs including a minimum wage position cleaning the garage at a local auto service center. Even minimum wage jobs were scarce at that time without education or skills. Eventually got a skilled trade job, worked 10 hours per day M-F plus 5.5 hours every Saturday for about 3 years while taking night classes at a local community college (I still had hopes for something better).

Got laid off from the skilled trade job. At this point I was a college dropout with very little confidence in my abilities, living in a sh*thole apartment in a neighborhood with a well-earned reputation for prostitution, drugs, and all the other crimes that go with these activities. I fully expected to spend the rest of my life scraping to get by working minimum wage jobs.

With few other options, I signed up for classes at the local community college. But, this time around I was MOTIVATED big time. I viewed this as my last chance to have a chance at something better. I didn't care what it took to succeed, come hell or high water I was going to do it, whatever it took. At the risk of getting too far off track, the "I got nowhere else to go!" scene from An Officer and a Gentleman always resonates for me:

I worked my tail off in school, managed to get good grades, transferred to a state university, completed 3 years of engineering classes in 2 years by taking classes straight through the summer, went to graduate school, got a master's in engineering in a year, then got a job as as an engineer. It was financially difficult getting through school because I never got a dime from my parents.

Also, I have to say that I found grad school to be extremely stressful. In hindsight, I can see now that I wasted a lot of time and energy worrying and this was a complete waste of time. When you're in the middle of it, however, it's not so easy to turn off the worrying. On the other hand, I survived. Stressing out is unpleasant but it won't kill you. Neither will failure.

Unfortunately, at the time I started working as an engineer in the early 90s there were numerous reductions in defense spending. Even though I worked on commercial communications satellites, there were many layoffs in aerospace, and I was not sure what the long term prospects were (at that time the concern was that fiber optics would kill a big chunk of the satellite business).

So I quit and went to law school, in part because I felt that law would not be so dependent on a particular technology. Law school was somewhat stressful, but honestly for me it was mostly just boring (I had learned to deal with stress somewhat by then).

I started as an associate at a patent law firm upon graduation from law school. Law school was hideously expensive and I ran up huge student loan debt. My starting salary was not much more than I had been making as an engineer, and I was not able to buy even the tiniest of houses because my student loan payments ate up a huge percentage of my income.

I started to wonder if I was screwed, and I fell back into worry and stress. I lived in a tiny apartment and drove clunkers for almost 10 years while I paid down the student loan debt. My net worth was negative until around the age of 40, more than 20 years after I graduated from high school.

But, here's the key, as Winston Churchill said: "Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense."

I stuck with it, learned to deal with the stress. To make a long story short, I am now a partner at a law firm, I've saved for retirement, I live in a very nice house (albeit far from a mansion!), drive decent vehicles, and life is good. Far from perfect, but good.

You will have to find your own path. None of us can decide what is right for you. But, you can do it if you put your mind to it and persevere. I am certain of that.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Degrees are meaningless without experience.

Skills and experience are everything. I have no degree and am doing fine because I have a LOT of experience in my field for my age. I started young and worked my way up.

Working in a base level IT call center is a great starting point to move up and learn skills.

Call center work sucks, but if you can find a small company to do it for, then your chances of promotion are much higher.

There is plenty of work to be done, you just have to be willing to do it.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Oh gawd. It's happening all over again!
Dude!
Wasn't it @jinjuku that once made you an offer to get you trained in IT, I think, so that you could do exactly what you are back here whining about doing? It's been a while, but you didn't even respond to him!!!
I did. And since I made that offer I have ran two CCNA classes for a total of 21 students, 4 have obtained their CCNA... It's been great to do this for free but it's 12 weeks two nights a week and that doesn't count my prep time and the follow on Q/A that participants have.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Wait, what? And you did it twice?

Why did you do it?

And if you're gonna do it again, let me know.

I want a desk job too.
I don't know if I'm going to offer it again unless it becomes part of my day job. The why is partly to catch up on the new testing and subject requirements and the other part is to give back. I would have loved to have the type of training I'm able to pass on now. Right now my extra time is now spent on learning Python. Tying to find a mentor that I can work with on that. Or I'll just figure it out myself.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis