How to figure out amplifier class in my integrated amp?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I forgot the background of lovinthehd. I hope I wasn't trying to preach to another engineer. I would feel like such a noob. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I had a Marantz class A integrated amp before. Sounded great. I was expecting it to become maybe a little more like tube amp, maybe a bit softer in class A mode. It didn't sound much different in A vs. AB mode.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I forgot the background of lovinthehd. I hope I wasn't trying to preach to another engineer. I would feel like such a noob. :D
No worries the closest I got was a grandfather who was a top flight EE (and in the audio business for a good chunk of his career). Didn't appeal when I was thinking about what degree to aim at, heck had trouble even choosing a major/minor (and left university after a year as I had a job opportunity that exceeded that of the prospects of my three senior roommates all doing well in their fields of mathematics, electrical engineering and languages).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you too, I do get passionate, overly sometimes, when I felt a need to reference EE theories. Actually we are only partially hijacking the OP' thread because he did ask about how to tell if the amp is class A, AB etc., so looking deeper into the power supply related specs (and that invariable would include the vague power consumption figures) is one way for the average consumer to tell. And yes, I can tell you have some EE background, it's obvious.:)
Well I thought the question was answered in any case as to what his amp class was, but we really didn't define ways of "telling" either....it's often not even mentioned in the product's literature and if you pop the cover off just what do you eyeball as indication?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I thought the question was answered in any case as to what his amp class was, but we really didn't define ways of "telling" either....it's often not even mentioned in the product's literature and if you pop the cover off just what do you eyeball as indication?
I did try my best to suggest the tell tale signs on post#17. Also, as someone mention, if the amp is class A, you can almost be sure that the manufacturer, and the seller will tell you about it. So I think it would be rare for someone not to know. Now there are cases where the tell tale signs I suggested may not work, that will be for amps designed to operate in class A up to a certain output level and seamlessly become class AB, or in some cases, the user may have to flip a switch or something.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did try my best to suggest the tell tale signs on post#17. Also, as someone mention, if the amp is class A, you can almost be sure that the manufacturer, and the seller will tell you about it. So I think it would be rare for someone not to know. Now there are cases where the tell tale signs I suggested may not work, that will be for amps designed to operate in class A up to a certain output level and seamlessly become class AB, or in some cases, the user may have to flip a switch or something.
Yes, I know you did but I just meant something more definitive.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis