How to convert Audio Stereo FLAC files to 5.1 FLAC files?

American

American

Audiophyte
I'm new here and found this thread because I have the exact same question as the OP. My answer to the question:
WHY?
Basically because I want to upmix stereo tracks to enjoy a 5.1track with the Spatial mode on my AirPods pro, in a similar way that my AVR would do with DTS. Looking forward to more ideas.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm new here and found this thread because I have the exact same question as the OP. My answer to the question:
WHY?
Basically because I want to upmix stereo tracks to enjoy a 5.1track with the Spatial mode on my AirPods pro, in a similar way that my AVR would do with DTS. Looking forward to more ideas.
Spatial only works with 5.1 files rather than 2.0 for earbuds? That sounds odd but not familiar with any earbuds let alone the features on yours, but can't imagine what a 2ch device would gain from starting with a 5.1 file....you listen to the earbuds from what gear?

M

MTVhike

Audioholic Intern
I'm a little confused here. Does DTS and others use surround data "hidden" in the stereo file, or are they decoding the stereo, like the old quadraphonic processors claimed to do?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Here's how to enjoy 5.1 FLAC. Install Foobar 2000 on PC. Download 5.1 FLAC from some party offering it, Acoustic Sounds no longer sells stereo or multi-channel FLAC files. From Foobar play via HDMI to AVR, or Pre-Pro, or place the downloaded files on a hard drive and play via usb to AVR or Pre-Pro.

M

MTVhike

Audioholic Intern
I bought my 5.1 files from NativeDSD, put them on my PC and can play them directly using one of several applications which say they support surround. Currently, however, my AVR doesn't have an HDMI port, which is why I was asking about other formats. I can use coaxial digital, if I can figure out how to convert them, as discussed on another thread here.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I bought my 5.1 files from NativeDSD, put them on my PC and can play them directly using one of several applications which say they support surround. Currently, however, my AVR doesn't have an HDMI port, which is why I was asking about other formats. I can use coaxial digital, if I can figure out how to convert them, as discussed on another thread here.
Can you stream them to another device? I stream multich files via DLNA/wifi to my various bluray players.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis