How to convert Audio Stereo FLAC files to 5.1 FLAC files?

D

dcmcgo

Audiophyte
I know you can listen to Stereo files with VLC is output being changed to 5.1. Also there is a product Apowersoft Video Convertor that actually converts a Stereo FLAC to 5.1 DTS file but costs $50. Is there another way to convert a large library of FLAC files to 5.1?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The obvious questions: why, why, and WHY?

If you really want to do this, why not just use the DSP functions built into most AVRs these days.

Really that's all it comes down to, you are looking for a DSP solution.

D

dcmcgo

Audiophyte
Not sure I understand DSP solution. I have a WIndows 10 PC and the Audio Files are native Stereo. What then performs the "DSP FUNCTION"?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Not sure I understand DSP solution. I have a WIndows 10 PC and the Audio Files are native Stereo. What then performs the "DSP FUNCTION"?
A receiver or pre/pro. The latest upmixers are very good. You don't want to waste time and space with your plan.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No real benefit to doing so, just use an upmixer on playback.. I do remember some software DTS had at one point you could make such with more detail/control, tho.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Modern AVRs have built in Digital Signal Processing (DSP). You are likely looking for a setting called "all channel stereo", "party mode", "7 channel stereo", or something along these lines. Each AVR mfr calls it something different.

This is exactly the "upmixing" that others mentioned.

What we are telling you is to abandon your plan and use the built-in DSP on your AVR.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Let's get back to the actual question:

WHY?

Why do you want to do this? What is your specific setup that makes you want to convert a stereo original recording into fake surround sound?

What speakers are you using?
What receiver are you using to power those speakers?
What is the make and model of the speakers which are in use?

If you say "I have a speaker bar" - you will be slapped.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Let's get back to the actual question:

WHY?

Why do you want to do this? What is your specific setup that makes you want to convert a stereo original recording into fake surround sound?

What speakers are you using?
What receiver are you using to power those speakers?
What is the make and model of the speakers which are in use?

If you say "I have a speaker bar" - you will be slapped.
Exactly...Why?

Curious myself. My guess is he just wants to hear the music in that format. Multi-ch music is growing on me something fierce, but I get nothing from upmixing 2ch to multi-ch.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Most AVRs have choice of upmixers such as Dolby DSU, DTS NeuralX, and the older DTS Neo6.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Modern AVRs have built in Digital Signal Processing (DSP). You are likely looking for a setting called "all channel stereo", "party mode", "7 channel stereo", or something along these lines. Each AVR mfr calls it something different.

This is exactly the "upmixing" that others mentioned.

What we are telling you is to abandon your plan and use the built-in DSP on your AVR.
But "all ch stereo" "7ch stereo" are still just 2.0 expanded to more speakers rather than applying a matrix like an upmixer like Dolby Digital PLIIx or DTS' Neo:X or similar....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
But "all ch stereo" "7ch stereo" are still just 2.0 expanded to more speakers rather than applying a matrix like an upmixer like Dolby Digital PLIIx or DTS' Neo:X or similar....
OK, fair enough. I think it is obvious, I tend to not mess with silly DSP and upmixing!

Really, the only time I would use something like that is if I'm working around the house and prioritize quantity vs. quality.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OK, fair enough. I think it is obvious, I tend to not mess with silly DSP and upmixing!

Really, the only time I would use something like that is if I'm working around the house and prioritize quantity vs. quality.
I use upmixers. May not work for you....and it is still high quality. 2.0 is often fake too in that regard.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I use upmixers. May not work for you....and it is still high quality. 2.0 is often fake too in that regard.
I like DSU a lot for music, dtsnx is ok but seems less natural. Even Mark loves it! I also liked PLIIx music, but once in awhile use stereo just because. Rarely ever use direct, but sometimes do just for something different, or to check the balance of my subwoofers. I don’t think of all comin home! Stereo as upmixing personally, and also find it stoopid.

S

sterling shoote

It's difficult enough to go through all the steps to enjoy 5.1 FLAC. Once you get there, why would anyone want to down mix it to stereo? Nevertheless, if that's what you want to do just do it via Universal Player.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's difficult enough to go through all the steps to enjoy 5.1 FLAC. Once you get there, why would anyone want to down mix it to stereo? Nevertheless, if that's what you want to do just do it via Universal Player.
He's going the other way, he has a large number of 2.0 files he wants to upmix to 5.1 as files.....but hasn't really explained all his gear nor even returned since he posted....

S

sterling shoote

He's going the other way, he has a large number of 2.0 files he wants to upmix to 5.1 as files.....but hasn't really explained all his gear nor even returned since he posted....
I wonder why he doesn't just push the Dolby Pro Logic button?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Why do you upmix for music? Do you use it 100% of the time? Or track by track?

Am I missing something when I default to 2.1?

2channel lover

Like a lot of things in this field...I'm gathering this is a personal preference thing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

A wide variety of music/artists. Some works better in 2.1 than others do in 7.1/5.1, depending on system, but its hard to predict so I'll often try it each way and just go with the one I prefer. Putting a percentage to it....more than 50%. I'm an album listener for the most part, but if I'm playing say a generated playlist of individual tracks (for just me!) on Spotify I'll find myself reaching for the remote either way on occasion but I'll tend to start off with Dolby Music PLIIx. I think it is indeed a preference thing. It seems mostly to bother those who expect instruments to be in a specific location, which tends not to be an issue for me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis