How to best Stream Tidal

C

Cshults

Audiophyte
Hi folks, hoping I can get some help answering the following question:

Am I leaving audio quality on the table when streaming Tidal hi-fi via a Gen 1 Chromecast which is connected to my TV and output to my receiver via optical cable?

I've searched and have read countless articles and posts trying to figure this out. I've read that I need a DAC, I've read that I don't need a DAC.. I've read that my phone needs to support FLAC files, I've read that it doesn't.. I've read that Gen 1 Chromecast supports FLAC, I've read that it doesn't..

I have a nice "dumb" receiver and a nice set of Wharfedale's and just want to get the most of my setup while streaming tidal hi-fi.

C

Cshults

Audiophyte
upgrade your AVR Problem solved.
Open to that, but with what feature set? I've also read that a device such as a blue sound node is necessary to get the most of hi-fi streaming services.. So do I need a hi-fi streaming device like a blue sound node, an updated avr, both?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Open to that, but with what feature set? I've also read that a device such as a blue sound node is necessary to get the most of hi-fi streaming services.. So do I need a hi-fi streaming device like a blue sound node, an updated avr, both?
nope. look at the sales on the denon 3500 from last year. just as an example.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, it seems something might be compromised if you are using a small wireless device to pull in the music before sending it through your TV and finally out to the receiver. Perhaps it would be better through an ethernet connected AVR with its own Tidal app.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
The gen 1 chromecast isnt a good music streamer in itself compared to the newer ones and bluesound node etc. The gen 1 chromecast did a lot of things wrong.
The TV may or may not mess up the signal further depending on the tv model and how its set up.(its not good, just unknown how much)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
TVs weren't really meant as connection hubs like an AVR is, FWIW.

I don't have time to play LMGTFY right now, but what you want, at least from D&M (Denon/Marantz) is that the unit be listed as HiRes Audio, I think.
If the SR7011 is, then go for it. Still, for the cost of the newer 3500, I'd do that, frankly.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
How much a month does it cost for one of those Streaming services for music. For me? I personally won’t pay a dime for any Streaming service. Especially Tidal anything Connected to JZ.

R

Rob_z

Enthusiast
I did the Tidal Black Friday deal and bought the 4 months of HiFi service for $1.99 and set a reminder the week before to cancel. I think it is $20/mo for the HiFi service. I am enjoying it but not sold on continuing the subscription at this time, especially getting Apple Music included with Verizon.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
When shopping for an AVR, look for the feature set you need, in terms of what your actual needs are, and what you'd like to have. If High quality Music service is one of those, then look for the HiRes like I suggested before. Likewise, if 4KUHD, HDR is important, make certain the receiver does that for you...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Perhaps it would be better through an ethernet connected AVR
This is a key item, also. WiFi and Bluetooth are not great ways of maintaining quality audio signals. Wire everything you can if it is involved in the signal stream.
I run a cat6a cable from my router to a gigaswitch for my rig. Each item that has an Ethernet port is then wired to the switch (TV, AVR, PS4, BD Player, etc).
As long as you have a good router and internet connection, and strong network mojo, any streaming will stay at the quality you receive it, unless limited by some other factor.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Similar setup here. Priority streaming devices are connected directly to the router while the rest are connected by a gigabit switch.

C

Cshults

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like either a receiver with high res audio capability and Ethernet or wifi connectivity built in would work.

What about a separate streamer fed into my current avr? Have watched a few videos on them this afternoon with some having insane price tags (thousands of dollars) and others a few hundred like the blue sound node 2i.

I've wanted a nicer Marantz avr for awhile, so maybe that's the way to go, but also more expensive than a middle of the road dedicated streamer.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That Denon is on par with Marantz... with the exception of analog inputs, I think. Otherwise, they are almost identical parts on the inside.
WiFi is a less good option.
Network streamers? Teens-of-thousands and more still for some! More a matter of convenience, but you still want a good quality AVR to act as a hub for everything. (I would start there! ;) )

C

Cruzin

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like either a receiver with high res audio capability and Ethernet or wifi connectivity built in would work.

What about a separate streamer fed into my current avr? Have watched a few videos on them this afternoon with some having insane price tags (thousands of dollars) and others a few hundred like the blue sound node 2i.

I've wanted a nicer Marantz avr for awhile, so maybe that's the way to go, but also more expensive than a middle of the road dedicated streamer.
Just for the record Yamaha does not currently support MQA files on Tidal. I contacted them and received the following reply - Yamaha aren't compatible with MQA-encoded files due to licensing and hardware compatibility issues, however this may change in the future.
However, Tidal and other streaming services are supported.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is a key item, also. WiFi and Bluetooth are not great ways of maintaining quality audio signals. Wire everything you can if it is involved in the signal stream.
I run a cat6a cable from my router to a gigaswitch for my rig. Each item that has an Ethernet port is then wired to the switch (TV, AVR, PS4, BD Player, etc).
As long as you have a good router and internet connection, and strong network mojo, any streaming will stay at the quality you receive it, unless limited by some other factor.
What's wrong with wifi? It can handle video flawlessly, audio is nothing in comparison....and as far as Tidal goes MQA is merely a lossy codec to support special hardware no one needs. I'd look to Qobuz personally, no MQA nonsense.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Assuming a good IP, and no major issues with internal network, WiFi isn't bad, but hardwired is better. It is less convenient, to be fair. :)
With the addition of a few neighbors, our WiFi went from passable to cr@p because of interference. Just the nature of it. I need to get the app the inspects all the WiFi networks for interference and identifies what channels are being used to eliminate the worst of it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Assuming a good IP, and no major issues with internal network, WiFi isn't bad, but hardwired is better. It is less convenient, to be fair. :)
With the addition of a few neighbors, our WiFi went from passable to cr@p because of interference. Just the nature of it. I need to get the app the inspects all the WiFi networks for interference and identifies what channels are being used to eliminate the worst of it.
Sure, if it has issues it has issues. I use wifi for audio all the time....only issues I have are ISP related, no interference issues at all (and considering where I am that's no surprise :) ).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis