How much tweeter do I need with a 200 watt 12 inch pa speaker?

Aaron Bilger

Aaron Bilger

Audioholic
So I want to build a pair of pa speakers and so I had no clue how powerful of a tweeter do I need? So so this is what i'm wanting to know i've given my example of 200 watts of 12" speaker but how many watts rms do I need for the tweeter give me links or names models etc...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So I want to build a pair of pa speakers and so I had no clue how powerful of a tweeter do I need? So so this is what i'm wanting to know i've given my example of 200 watts of 12" speaker but how many watts rms do I need for the tweeter give me links or names models etc...
Do you know how to design a crossover?

A 12" speaker will need crossing over at 500 to 700 Hz, 1000 Hz at the highest and preferably lower.

You will need a sectoral horn with compression driver for that. You other option is a three way speaker.

PA speakers are best designed using electronic active crossovers with separate amps for each driver.

Aaron Bilger

Aaron Bilger

Audioholic
Do you know how to design a crossover?

A 12" speaker will need crossing over at 500 to 700 Hz, 1000 Hz at the highest and preferably lower.

You will need a sectoral horn with compression driver for that. You other option is a three way speaker.

PA speakers are best designed using electronic active crossovers with separate amps for each driver.
I will just go buy a crossover like I normally ever would but I saw this 125 watt rms 8 inch pa speaker http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Alpha8A and I need a horn tweeter for it the crossover I can just buy on ebay or amazon, I already have a box just 1 box since I want to make a bluetooth speaker for outside use when working out there.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hold on just a moment. If you go randomly pairing drivers and an off the shelf crossover, you're not going to like the results. (Well, I probably wouldn't like the results. But I'm trying to help you avoid making a mistake.)

There are complete kits available. Have a look at THESE as an example. Decent drivers, appropriate for the task, and a network specific to the design and by a fellow who has a clue about such things. Now, these are passive speakers, so if your intended use is live reinforcement, they are not the right tools.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hold on just a moment. If you go randomly pairing drivers and an off the shelf crossover, you're not going to like the results. (Well, I probably wouldn't like the results. But I'm trying to help you avoid making a mistake.)

There are complete kits available. Have a look at THESE as an example. Decent drivers, appropriate for the task, and a network specific to the design and by a fellow who has a clue about such things. Now, these are passive speakers, so if your intended use is live reinforcement, they are not the right tools.
Yes that is an excellent recommendation, however I've got a feeling it won't be taken. :(

Aaron let's solve one problem at a time. :D did you set your insider speakers to small yet?

Aaron Bilger

Aaron Bilger

Audioholic
Yes that is an excellent recommendation, however I've got a feeling it won't be taken. :(

Aaron let's solve one problem at a time. :D did you set your insider speakers to small yet?
No I have not but my issue was fixed a while ago with different subwoofer placing in the room the speakers have nothing to do with it.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
No I have not but my issue was fixed a while ago with different subwoofer placing in the room the speakers have nothing to do with it.
You do understand that to use the sub, unless using the main precursor require you to set the speakers to small, so that setting does have everything to do with you having a correct setup.

Aaron Bilger

Aaron Bilger

Audioholic
I just need to know first off how do I know and figure out how powerful of a tweeter I need for like 100 watts of a pa speaker driver then the tweeter how powerful do I need I need a answer that is correct.

Aaron Bilger

Aaron Bilger

Audioholic
Well then where do I go to get the perfect crossover for this and the perfect tweeter and speaker and a amp to go onto this as well that has connections on the amp for me to hook up a bluetooth device to?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well then where do I go to get the perfect crossover for this and the perfect tweeter and speaker and a amp to go onto this as well that has connections on the amp for me to hook up a bluetooth device to?
The answer is there is nowhere to go. This is where you have to take over and do your design and build it.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Speaker design is not simple, so if you don't want to spend a long time and considerable expense learning the ropes, it's better to go with a proven, competent design (like the kit I linked to in my previous post...it's as though you didn't even...). There are a dozen or so proven designs on diysoundgroup.com that could be used in your plans.

Last edited:
Aaron Bilger

Aaron Bilger

Audioholic
The accepted ratio is one ounce of tweeter for every 8 ounces of woofer.
Ok so the speaker I want to use is 4.3lbs and on google it's 68.8 ounces
and 8 times 8 would be 64 ounces and so then 8.6 times 8 is 68.8 which would be it? so 8.6 ounces of tweeter is what I need?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

and 8 times 8 would be 64 ounces and so then 8.6 times 8 is 68.8 which would be it? so 8.6 ounces of tweeter is what I need?
Yes, of course that will be a match made in heaven. But then you must allow for the density of the materials used and divide by the square root of the densities involved.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You're joking, right?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I think this whole endeavor is well beyond your capabilities, seriously.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Can I go with a 30 watt rms tweeter with my 125 watt rms pa speaker driver?
Sure. Why not? It's not like you'll be feeding it the same power as the woofer, assuming you've got a proper crossover, and that subject has already been covered.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis