How do I connect this bluetooth adapter to the reciever?

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
Hi, my reciever has no bluetooth (RXV373), so I bought a Harman Kardon Adapt bluetooth adapter.

Now I need to find a way to connect it to my reciever.

It has an input of Audio Out, Mic In or Audio In.

I thought I'll use RCA cables, in this way :

White and red connect to my reciever Audio input in the back, and white OR red ( since the adapter has only 1 "Audio Out" connection), to the adapter. All it does is loud white noise, nothing else. And the adapter is connected to my phone and seems to be streaming, but the sound doesn't go to the reciever.

If I connect the red or white RCA end to the adapter, the said noise comes out of the right or left stereo speaker.

I know I am supposed to connect both red and white to the adapter, but it has only one input for Audio Out.

The Harman and Kadron Adapt manual doesn't help.

How do I connect this to my reciever to stream sound??

EDIT: I used an Aux cable and connected the adapter to the reciever's front aux connection.

Now it works, but the sound quality doesn't compare to when I connect the phone to my smart TV via bluetooth (TV is connected to reciever via HDMI ARC).

So. Is the cheap aux cable degrading the quality of sound? Is there an alternative cable connection to connect this bluetooth adapter, that has only one audio out connection, to my reciever? Some other high quality cable that isn't aux ( or just a better aux)?

Attachments

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi, my reciever has no bluetooth (RXV373), so I bought a Harman Kardon Adapt bluetooth adapter.

White and red connect to my reciever Audio input in the back, and white OR red ( since the adapter has only 1 "Audio Out" connection), to the adapter. All it does is loud white noise, nothing else. And the adapter is connected to my phone and seems to be streaming, but the sound doesn't go to the reciever.

If I connect the red or white RCA end to the adapter, the said noise comes out of the right or left stereo speaker.

I know I am supposed to connect both red and white to the adapter, but it has only one input for Audio Out.

EDIT: I used an Aux cable and connected the adapter to the reciever's front aux connection.

Now it works, but the sound quality doesn't compare to when I connect the phone to my smart TV via bluetooth (TV is connected to reciever via HDMI ARC).

So. Is the cheap aux cable degrading the quality of sound? Is there an alternative cable connection to connect this bluetooth adapter, that has only one audio out connection, to my reciever? Some other high quality cable that isn't aux ( or just a better aux)?
Cables don't cause hiss.

It would be best if you post the model of the BT receiver, since you mentioned the manual.

What is supposed to play to the BT receiver?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the cable works it's not likely the cable causing problems, could be quality of the BT receiver, or perhaps levels but BT isn't the highest quality wireless in the first place, wifi/dlna would be better.

The bt receivers I've used use a 3.5mm (just TRS I think on mine) to dual rca cable

highfigh

highfigh

If the cable works it's not likely the cable causing problems, could be quality of the BT receiver, or perhaps levels but BT isn't the highest quality wireless in the first place, wifi/dlna would be better.

The bt receivers I've used use a 3.5mm (just TRS I think on mine) to dual rca cable
BT has come a long way- until three years ago, I 'knew' that BT sucked and the range was almost useless in some situations and later on the day when I found that the people who would be using the system at a school wouldn't be comfortable using HEOS or something like it, I tried a BT receiver I had never heard of. It never lost the connection with my iPhone even after I had walked more than 150' from where the receiver was sitting and when I went back, I listened to the sound quality- I had no complaints and I had a cable connected to the same stereo receiver, so I could do a direct comparison. However, it NEVER made the sound the OP described.

highfigh

highfigh

I'm going to address the problems in the way you're connecting the BT receiver:

This DOESN'T have RCA jacks. Don't connect it with anything other than 3.5mm plugs.

You make it seem that you're trying to connect the Audio Out jack to the AV or stereo receiver- that doesn't work.

You wrote "but it has only one input for Audio Out." which shows that you don't quite understand how signal paths work. Output from one piece goes to input jacks- there's no such thing as 'input for audio out'.

By connecting the RCA plug to the 3.5mm jack, the signal can't be stereo and it can't be shielded from noise. Not only are you using the wrong plug, you're also connecting two channels together in a way that they shouldn't be.

You need a 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable for this to work and the 3.5mm plug needs to be inserted into the Audio Out jack.

This will work-

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
BT has come a long way- until three years ago, I 'knew' that BT sucked and the range was almost useless in some situations and later on the day when I found that the people who would be using the system at a school wouldn't be comfortable using HEOS or something like it, I tried a BT receiver I had never heard of. It never lost the connection with my iPhone even after I had walked more than 150' from where the receiver was sitting and when I went back, I listened to the sound quality- I had no complaints and I had a cable connected to the same stereo receiver, so I could do a direct comparison. However, it NEVER made the sound the OP described.
Yes BT has come a ways depending what particular version/codec it can handle, but likely still would sound decent. Agree its not likely the BT particularly responsible for the sounds mentioned, could be levels or comparison method or some other things. I can't think of why a receiver would have a 3.5mm input either but clarification of input or output ports/jacks used would be nice.

highfigh

highfigh

Yes BT has come a ways depending what particular version/codec it can handle, but likely still would sound decent. Agree its not likely the BT particularly responsible for the sounds mentioned, could be levels or comparison method or some other things. I can't think of why a receiver would have a 3.5mm input either but clarification of input or output ports/jacks used would be nice.
The BT receiver having a 3.5mm jack? Miccus BT receivers have 3.5mm AND Optical inputs because they can be used to transmit or receive, so it can cover a ridiculous range- IIRC, they state it can work over 300'. The one I used first worked with my iPhone across the street from the BT receiver in my garage, with my house between them- it never dropped out and works throughout the school gym, even though the signal needs to pass through three concrete block walls.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The BT receiver having a 3.5mm jack? Miccus BT receivers have 3.5mm AND Optical inputs because they can be used to transmit or receive, so it can cover a ridiculous range- IIRC, they state it can work over 300'. The one I used first worked with my iPhone across the street from the BT receiver in my garage, with my house between them- it never dropped out and works throughout the school gym, even though the signal needs to pass through three concrete block walls.
I meant the avr having a 3.5mm input....haven't seen one with one.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis