How are primare amps?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
How are they compared to other top amps?
Guess it depends on which amps. Their original offerings were way too large and bulky for me, regardless of performance since there are many amps available that don't weigh a ton and are SOTA. Primare started building class D (Hypex based) recently but I haven't dove into the specs, so it could be an option for *me*. In theory they should be STOA but we've seen manufacturers "mess up" their implementations of these modules.

Perused this one and it seems ok, with a few notations but price wise isn't competitive with other manufacturers using the same module.

Compared to this one

Last edited:
D

Dhos4094

Junior Audioholic
a35.2 and a35.8 in particular vs other high end amps

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
a35.2 and in particular vs other high end amps
The 35.2 was the one above, and I think there are better values for the same Hypex module from different manufacturers. Same for the the 8 channel. Depending on what you're pairing them with, make sure the gain structure matches closely.

Last edited:
D

Dhos4094

Junior Audioholic
The 35.2 was the one above, and I think there are better values for the same Hypex module from different manufacturers. Same for the the 8 channel. Depending on what you're pairing them with, make sure the gain structure matches closely.
I’ll be running them with perlisten speakers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No meaning compared to like parasound etc
Parasound isn't particularly special and many other amp brands the same thing. Just what you are expecting is probably what you should be posting about.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I would consider ATI, especially the Class D Series.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I’ll be running them with perlisten speakers
Sorry, I meant preamp/PrePro. I believe that the Primare have a fixed gain so matching is important. I'd personally choose another vendor and put the savings towards the speakers/subs.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
As others above have indicated you will get SOTA measurements from Hypex and Purifi Class D modules. You will not hear a better sound than those anywhere— period. Check the spec comparisons over at at audio science review which almost specializes in Class D measurements.
There is no way a human can hear as well as the microphone can measure. It will save you money and space. I have three Hypex monoblocks powering my perlisten LCR speakers and another multi8 hypex for the rest.

D

Dhos4094

Junior Audioholic
Yeah I have perlisten speakers and subs. I was looking at Ati and primare to run with them. But I was like let’s post and see what others say. Thanks

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
There really isn't a standard definition for "high end" power amplifiers, but it is widely accepted that power amplifiers in that kind of category should have specifications verified on reputable test benches such as Audioholics, Audiosciencereview and Stereophile that indicate audio transparency. For example, SINAD/THD+N better than 90/-90 dB, 20-20,000 Hz within +/- 0.5 dB, channel balance within 0.25 dB, cross talk better than 70 dB, Damping factor better than 200 (20-20 kHz) etc.

In that sense, I wouldn't say the Primare A35.2 is better than all Parasound's power amps, though better than some Parasound amps. As an example, it has lower distortions in general than the A21+, but the A21+ is much more powerful. So being that it is also widely accepted that for distortions+noise, 0.01%, or even 0.1%, is considered below the threshold of audibility, so if your applications can benefit from the higher voltage/current capabilities of the Parasound A21+, then the choice would be clear, i.e. the Parasound A21+.

If the voltage/current capabilities of either amp are more than enough for you, then I guess the decision could be based on other factors. To me, I would then take the Primare, for is much lighter weight and I prefer class D amps at that price point.

However, as others mentioned, I would much prefer the Hypex or Purify modules based class D amps as they are proven over the years, and offers much better "Watts" to $ ratio, so I wouldn't pay more for less for sure.

Also, just fyi, in terms of THD+N, that is just one metric obviously, neither the A21+ or the Primare A35.2 are better than the AVR amps such as Denon and Marantz's, but they will "sound better", probably just because people think they should, lol.....

Below are from Stereophile:

Primare A35.2 power amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com

1716809056083.png
1716809100659.png

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
a35.2 and a35.8 in particular vs other high end amps
Whether it is AVP, Amp, speakers, or anything else, I would look at some factors and ask yourself what’s salient?

1. Pride of ownership. This is a hobby. It’s about good sound, but you also have to FEEL good about it. I love my HT. When I’m on vacation, I miss my HT. I feel great about everything in my HT. Just make sure that you will feel great about whatever you buy.

2. Warranty. 7 YR warranty vs 5 YR vs 3 YR vs 1 YR? How important is that to you?

3. Customer Service. How important is being about to call the company and talk to a person? Instead of trying to email some company and waiting for a response? What about after the warranty period? Some companies won’t even touch your amp after the warranty expires.

4. History of the company. A company that has been around for 50 years vs 10 years vs 5 years? A company who has made amps that are stable down to 1-ohm on 3rd party measurements. A company who has made amps for other high-end companies like Mark Levinson and Lexicon. A company who owns other high-end companies.

If the only factor that truly matters to you is the price, then just buy the least expensive amp.

All of these amps that you are looking at will sound great.

We all have to decide for ourselves which factors are salient to us because at the end of the long day, it would be really nice if we could be truly happy with our HT systems that we love - not have any regrets. Only we can be the judge.

Then it’s only about finding the best movies, TV series, and music to enjoy. :D

Last edited:
D

Dhos4094

Junior Audioholic
I guess comes down to what gonna pair best with my perlisten speakers and I need 9 channels to drive.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I guess comes down to what gonna pair best with my perlisten speakers and I need 9 channels to drive.
So like above info indicates buy for “pride of ownership” in expensive gear or best customer support or reliability or??? Not all nine channels need to be the same wattage. You can buy larger for the LCR and less for the rest.
For instance a Hypex Ncorex 500 for LCR and a Hypex Ncore 252 for the rest.

You really cannot go wrong with Hypex or Purify

D

Dhos4094

Junior Audioholic
Customer service and warranty for sure. I’ll run probably 2 amps. I’ll check out the hypex and purify.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Customer service and warranty for sure. I’ll run probably 2 amps. I’ll check out the hypex and purify.
Amps rarely failed before their warranty, most of those mentioned so far should last >10 years. My Bryston amp has 20 years warranty, it has one year left, hopefully it will never need it.

The Hypex amps seem popular in Europe too, so you should be able to buy from dealers not too far to ship for repair, in the unlikely event that you need repair. They typically are very modular, so worst case you just get tbe parts that failed and swap them out yourself. The boutique class such as Primare, may be more difficult to do your own repair, but if you have a reliable local dealer then it is not an issue.

Two amps are better than one imo, never good to have all eggs in one basket.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis