H

Hutch

Audiophyte
I'm new to this forum and A/V in general so apologies in advance if this should be posted in some other topic area.

I have the following components and I'm not certain how to connect them all for the best setup. HDMI & HDMI ARC are confusing to me. The TV, Blu Ray Player, and Apple TV are brand new additions. We have Comcast cable TV. Here's the list:

LG OLED 65" E7P 4K TV
LG SJ9 Dolby Atmos Soundbar
Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray Player
Apple TV 4K
TiVo Roamio Pro (HDMI but no 4K)
xBox One (HDMI but no 4K)
xBox 360 (HDMI but no 4K)

No A/V receiver at this time.

I've purchased high speed HDMI 2.0 cables but not sure how to connect what with what.

Should I split my coax cable with one coax to the Oppo blu ray player and the other to the TV coax input?

Should the Apple TV 4K be plugged into the Oppo Blu Ray or should I just plug it into a TV HDMI port?

Should the TiVo be plugged into the Oppo or a TV HDMI port?

I assume I should just plug the xBox One into a TV HDMI port and slave the xBox 360 into the xBox One?

It seems obvious that I should connect the TV's HDMI IN (ARC) port to the SoundBar's HDMI OUT (ARC) port but please advise if that is wrong.

Thanks so much for the help!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You need an AVR or at the very least a HDMI switch box. Anything else you try will be very convoluted, and you will be lucky to have to all working.

H

Hutch

Audiophyte
AVR? By that do you mean an A/V Receiver? OK, yeh, I'm a newbie. Not buying into an AVR just yet.

I do have a decent HDMI switch box which I can use, if need be.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
+1 on the AVR or HDMI switchbox.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The avr is the best tool for the job, otherwise you need to be more on top of potential issues in making up your system....IMO.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm new to this forum and A/V in general so apologies in advance if this should be posted in some other topic area.

I have the following components and I'm not certain how to connect them all for the best setup. HDMI & HDMI ARC are confusing to me. The TV, Blu Ray Player, and Apple TV are brand new additions. We have Comcast cable TV. Here's the list:

LG OLED 65" E7P 4K TV
LG SJ9 Dolby Atmos Soundbar
Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray Player
Apple TV 4K
TiVo Roamio Pro (HDMI but no 4K)
xBox One (HDMI but no 4K)
xBox 360 (HDMI but no 4K)

No A/V receiver at this time.

I've purchased high speed HDMI 2.0 cables but not sure how to connect what with what.

Should I split my coax cable with one coax to the Oppo blu ray player and the other to the TV coax input?

Should the Apple TV 4K be plugged into the Oppo Blu Ray or should I just plug it into a TV HDMI port?

Should the TiVo be plugged into the Oppo or a TV HDMI port?

I assume I should just plug the xBox One into a TV HDMI port and slave the xBox 360 into the xBox One?

It seems obvious that I should connect the TV's HDMI IN (ARC) port to the SoundBar's HDMI OUT (ARC) port but please advise if that is wrong.

Thanks so much for the help!
The Oppo 203 can function as an AV in a limited fashion, but do not see how you will connect all of those sources and be able to control them without an AVR...not saying it can't be done, but everyday usage might be cumbersome.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
The avr is the best tool for the job, otherwise you need to be more on top of potential issues in making up your system....IMO.
in every hobby you can spot the guys who are serious. they have the right tools for the job, and they use them.

H

Hutch

Audiophyte
Appreciate all the input. While I agree a nice AVR would be the way to go in the long run, it's not in my budget at this time. There's always next Christmas. You listening, Santa? :)

Given that and based on my (admittedly questionable) research, here's my current connection scheme:

Cable Coax --> TiVo Roamio Pro (via splitter)
Cable Coax --> LG TV (via splitter)
TiVo Roamio Pro --> LG TV via HDMI 1
LG SJ9 Soundbar --> LG TV via HDMI 2 (ARC)
Oppo UDP-203 --> LG TV via HDMI 3
Apple TV 4K --> Oppo UDP-203 HDMI In (passthru)
xBox One --> LG TV via HDMI 4
xBox 360 --> xBox One via HDMI passthru (or HDMI switch box)
+Wireless Internet throughout (I have pretty fast 180GBs down)

Perhaps not ideal but can you think of any reason this should not work?

I don't like using a splitter, even high quality, for TV/TiVo input but don't see any other choice.

Thanks!

H

Hutch

Audiophyte
in every hobby you can spot the guys who are serious. they have the right tools for the job, and they use them.
Oooo... well, excuuuuse me.

Since I've already snuck by the doorman/serious police, will you go ahead and validate my newbie parking pass anyway? ;)

H

Hutch

Audiophyte
The Oppo 203 can function as an AV in a limited fashion, but do not see how you will connect all of those sources and be able to control them without an AVR...not saying it can't be done, but everyday usage might be cumbersome.
Actually, the new system represents the same number of devices I've been using with my current 1080p setup, just (much) higher quality. It's just a matter of hitting the input switch. But yeh, I'll be saving up for that AVR, no question. Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis