Home Theater Multiple Subwoofer Set-Up & Calibration Guide

G

GalZohar

Enthusiast
Phase should almost always be set to zero for all subs. It should only be altered if its beneficial which is usually not the case. I did mention this in the article under Advanced Calibration tips.
Hi,
I noticed my subwoofer and mains are out of phase at 80Hz which is my crossover frequency.
I can get them in phase by inverting the phase or by increasing the distance.
Which is the better solution?
I don't have the tools to measure the effect. Are they necessary or is there an obvious choice here?
I can understand how delay works and how a phase inversion switch can work, but how does the variable phase knob on the subwoofer work? And again, is it better to use it than to adjust delay to get the subwoofer and mains in-phase at the crossover frequency?

G

GreenBlood

Audiophyte
Hi, I have 4 infinite baffle subwoofers with 2x18” FI3 subs at 2ohms wired in series to make 4ohms, driven by one channel of a behringer EP4000 amp. So, 2 amps with a signal to each from an onkyo 5009. My subs were positioned in the attic a 1/4 of the way in to the room based on dr flody tools Recommend positioning. I can’t move them now so I have what I have. How would you recommend setting the levels of the manifolds? The two fronts are on one amp and therefore one signal from the onkyo. I had expected to set each one up from the listening position to 72db but am not so sure after reading this. Any advice welcome:)

W

WadeT

Enthusiast
Old thread but as interesting read I need to calibrate my two subs

adaktug

adaktug

Audiophyte
The goal of a serious home theater playback system should be even bass, plenty of dynamic range and smooth natural frequency response across all of the listening area for the most seamless blend. The best way of achieving good bass is by reducing the modal peaks and nodal dips by utilizing multiple subs, proper speaker/subwoofer and seating placements and setup, active equalization and passive room treatments. The key is proper subwoofer placement and setup to reduce the guess work and minimize chasing your tail to find the best settings that yield the most optimal measurable performance. This article discusses methods of proper placement, setup and measurements to help achieve the best measurable and audible results for your entire listening area, NOT just the money seat!

Discuss "Home Theater Multiple Subwoofer Set-Up & Calibration Guide" here. Read the article.
Subwoofers have suffered the idea of very low attenuation settings for years.
These lower settings attenuate the 2nd harmonics. We suggest to allow the subwoofer
to have higher settings say 500 to 1 kHz, in order to blend in with the other speakers.
Better blending would be possible if all of the crossover circuits were replaced with NON-crossover circuits.
Curtis
Audio professional

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis