Home Made Corner Bass Trap Design with Pictures

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Looks good, what are you using for absorption ?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Nice woodwork! Corner traps definitely help, and DIY will save you a ton of money.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thoughts on this design? Most of this is scrap lumber from my pile. I used dowels so when I wrap the fabric the corners will be smoother. Wondering if it has any benefits for sound as well.
With that workshop you should be building speakers, not bass traps!

DtotheC

DtotheC

Enthusiast
With that workshop you should be building speakers, not bass traps!
:) I know. I have some ideas for speaker builds in the future. Right now I just need my media room to sound better!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

:) I know. I have some ideas for speaker builds in the future. Right now I just need my media room to sound better!
The move to better sound, usually starts with better speakers. You look like the ideal DIY speaker guy to me. Quality for quality it saves you an absolute fortune.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
IMO, with subs well located in a room and a good room EQing software, you don't even need bass traps.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
IMO, with subs well located in a room and a good room EQing software, you don't even need bass traps.
and if the Op is unable to optimize sub placement, running a 2ch stereo with no Eq capability in a less than perfect room, corner bass trapping can in fact improve things ;)

highfigh

highfigh

The room itself will contribute to the sound with speakers placed well, or not. Standing waves don't care about placement or EQ- they persist and are difficult to prevent in that way, especially with such large wavelengths. Once the wavelength matches the room's dimensions, the interference (constructive/destructive) causes problems but the distribution of the waves is why the ratios of the distances is so important during design. After the place has been built, it's more difficult to prevent the standing waves.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

and if the Op is unable to optimize sub placement, running a 2ch stereo with no Eq capability in a less than perfect room, corner bass trapping can in fact improve things ;)
Yep. Before and after measurements showed that my corner traps helped with the primary null in my room. Peaks are easy to EQ down.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Yep. Before and after measurements showed that my corner traps helped with the primary null in my room. Peaks are easy to EQ down.
With a good EQing software, peaks are easy to trim without the need for corner bass traps as well.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

With a good EQing software, peaks are easy to trim without the need for corner bass traps as well.
But you can't Eq nulls. Absorbing the waves that bounce from corners/walls then meet and cancel in the center of the room helps reduce those.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
well yes (you already said that once) and no one is arguing with that ability, but those of us with your basic 2 channel configuration(pre-amp/linestage and amp) EQ'ing software is not usually in the mix.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The room itself will contribute to the sound with speakers placed well, or not. Standing waves don't care about placement or EQ- they persist and are difficult to prevent in that way, especially with such large wavelengths. Once the wavelength matches the room's dimensions, the interference (constructive/destructive) causes problems but the distribution of the waves is why the ratios of the distances is so important during design. After the place has been built, it's more difficult to prevent the standing waves.
That is absolutely true. However unless it is new construction, or part of an extensive remodel, you are not in a position to have optimal room dimension ratios as a rule.
I had the good fortune to be able to set the dimensions of my room, and it really allows you to hear the venue and not your room.

highfigh

highfigh

That is absolutely true. However unless it is new construction, or part of an extensive remodel, you are not in a position to have optimal room dimension ratios as a rule.
I had the good fortune to be able to set the dimensions of my room, and it really allows you to hear the venue and not your room.
My place is a good example of this- I wasn't going to design the room just for acoustics, I removed most of a wall mainly because it improved traffic flow, made the kitchen/living room into one large space with a beam at the ceiling, where the wall had been. I prefer open plan and it's now an irregular space, which definitely helps, acoustically. That didn't prevent issues at some frequencies, though.

After treatment, I don't even think about the room's sound but I still listen to the sound of whatever is playing- I just enjoy the music.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis