HK AVR 635 fan noise?

J

jetz9335

Audiophyte
I just bought a brand new Harman Kardon AVR-635 system from a local store called Video Only.

A problem is that even after with all my effort this unit always runs fan and it makes quite noticible noise all the time. I tried lowering volume down to -35db, but still the system makes fan noise.

I understand that the system should need fan to cool down the unit when needed, but with this steep price I don't really expect this kind of noise level all the time by the fan.

I checked Harman Kardon's web site, and found that the fan actually shouldn't operate under normal usage. I'm not sure what they are referring by normal usage, but I suspect -35 db output would fall into normal usage.

Is my system defected? Any body has experience with fan noise?

-Sunghwa

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome to the forum.

That doesn't sound right. I would exchange the unit for a new one if possible.

J

jetz9335

Audiophyte
Yes, it was defected one.

Buckeyefan 1 said:
Welcome to the forum.

That doesn't sound right. I would exchange the unit for a new one if possible.
I got new system although it is display one. The new one absolutely doesn't run fan. At least I've never heard of any fan noise so far.

Somehow the store - "Video Only" is telling me that they've ordered new system for me, but it is delayed and it's been a week. They offered me temporary solution until I get the new one. So I got the display model which works just great.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
jetz9335 said:
I got new system although it is display one. The new one absolutely doesn't run fan. At least I've never heard of any fan noise so far.

Somehow the store - "Video Only" is telling me that they've ordered new system for me, but it is delayed and it's been a week. They offered me temporary solution until I get the new one. So I got the display model which works just great.
That's great customer service. I'd make sure to thank them, and the owner. That goes a long way in repeat business, as well as referrals.

WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
It was probably a faulty bearing on the HSF cooling the video processing unit.

I have an AVR7300 and then fan noise isn’t even noticeable when it's in my AV cabinet, so I doubt the 635 should be any different.

Best of luck with the new unit!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis