High quality sound albums

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
The wife and I had a listen to a nice bit of recording last night with a few glasses of wine, Diana Krall - The Girl In The Other Room

her music makes magic happen

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The wife and I had a listen to a nice bit of recording last night with a few glasses of wine, Diana Krall - The Girl In The Other Room

her music makes magic happen
I tried listening / watching one of her blu-rays from Netflix. But it just didn't do anything for me. It seems like a lot people like Diana Krall, though.

I'm getting some more music from Yo-Yo Ma today.

I'll try another Diana Krall recording too.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
If you want something to open up your mind, turn this up and close your eyes

Gustav Holst: The Planets, Op 32

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Tchaikovsky Concerto No. 1 Van Cliburn RCA Red Seal label LM-2252

jinjuku

jinjuku

If you have speakers big enough and want to get knocked flat on your ***:

Holst: The Planets / Elgar: 'Enigma' Variations conducted by Sir Adrian Boult

I have 4 different recordings of 'The Planets'. This is THE recording to get. Fire up the planets and and the end you just sit back and listen to the silence for a few minutes afterwords. Every time (like I just did today :D )

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I tried listening / watching one of her blu-rays from Netflix. But it just didn't do anything for me. It seems like a lot people like Diana Krall, though.

Actually, one of my favorite songs of all time is on that album. Narrow Daylight, composed by Krall and her husband. When she just sings standards, well, there are a lot of great recordings of standards, though I do think Krall's are at the top. But that particular album happens to be, IMHO, her best, mostly because it has a lot of very nice original material on it.

By count I own more classical music recordings than any other genre, but after 40 years or so classical music is wearing a bit thin with me. When you get to the point where, for example, every movement of all 32 Beethoven piano sonatas is familiar, you begin to look for something different. :) Maybe I've just been at it a lot longer, so you're just at a different milestone on the path.

While typing this reply it just occurred to me that I've only been into jazz for about five years or so, but I'm already sick of hearing 'Round Midnight and My Funny Valentine.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Diana Krall only has one BD that I know of and that is Live in Rio, which IMO, sucked compared to Live in Paris so check that one out instead. IMO, most of her albums are good especially on DVD-A and SACD.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Diana Krall only has one BD that I know of and that is Live in Rio, which IMO, sucked compared to Live in Paris so check that one out instead. IMO, most of her albums are good especially on DVD-A and SACD.
Yup. That's the one. Live in Rio. Of all her albums, they put the worst one on blu-ray? That's just great. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yup. That's the one. Live in Rio. Of all her albums, they put the worst one on blu-ray? That's just great. :D
LOL, the best thing on that disc was in the extras where they were jamming acoustic in some famous rooftop bar.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Agree, I have both. The Paris DVD is much better than the Rio BD.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the best album ever is "Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone". Best. Ever. Every single song is just breathtaking. Amazing.

Dave Mathews & Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City is second.

Listening on KEF Reference 201/2 + RBH Reference SX-1010N now.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
If you have speakers big enough and want to get knocked flat on your ***:

Holst: The Planets / Elgar: 'Enigma' Variations conducted by Sir Adrian Boult

I have 4 different recordings of 'The Planets'. This is THE recording to get. Fire up the planets and and the end you just sit back and listen to the silence for a few minutes afterwords. Every time (like I just did today :D )

I love Holst arrangements. This music just takes you places...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I love Holst arrangements. This music just takes you places...
Fine. Downloading now. Will listen.

Listening to this Gustov Holst The Planets album now. Pretty good. But Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone still number 1 and Dave Mathews & Tim Reynolds still number 2 on my list. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm listening to The Dark Knight Rises Soundtrack. This album has some bass. Pretty good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hanz Zimmer puts on a show does he not?!
Yes he does.

I love Batman Begins & Dark Knight Rises soundtracks. Haven't heard Dark Knignt since I figured it was kind of like Batman Begins. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If I see a few more titles added I will post another updated master list but please make sure they are really of high quality. I for one will pick from that list for future purchases and my speakers are very 'revealing' that it will abuse anything of lower quality.:D

Thanks

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I see a few more titles added I will post another updated master list but please make sure they are really of high quality. I for one will pick from that list for future purchases and my speakers are very 'revealing' that it will abuse anything of lower quality.:D

Thanks
I've already tried about 5 from that list, but I really won't be playing them again any time soon. :D

My personal must hear hi-fi albums would be Dark Knight Rises, Batman Begins, Yo-Yo Ma/Ennio Morricone, Beethoven Complete Concertos w/ Anne-Sophie Mutter, Dave Mathews & Tim Reynolds Radio City Music Hall.

It's not so much music that I can sing or hum to. It's the ultra clarity and wide dynamic range. For example, I really don't like Dave Mathews or his lyrics, yet I love that album. My uncle was just at my house. I played Yo-Yo Ma, then Dave Mathews for him. His impression: it sounded like the the instruments and Music was actually live in the room. That's high fidelity.

I'm going to try The Dark Knight now and see. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm going to try The Dark Knight now and see. :D
I rarely listen to sound tracks and I probably have only a couple. Don't they sound just like they are in the movie (I own the first two BR discs) except when listening to the sound tracks you are forced to focus on the music only? Anyway please recommend your best pick of the 3 (SQ I mean) for me to try, one that is available on Amazon.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis