High quality sound albums

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I rarely listen to sound tracks and I probably have only a couple. Don't they sound just like they are in the movie (I own the first two BR discs) except when listening to the sound tracks you are forced to focus on the music only? Anyway please recommend your best pick of the 3 (SQ I mean) for me to try, one that is available on Amazon.
I didn't like The Dark Knight as much as BB & DKR.

Of the 3 Dark Knight OST, I would say Batman Begins is he best follow by Dark Knight Rises.

DKR seems to have a lot more synthesized bass & electronic music, so if you have great bass like a subwoofer, it's cool.

You have Yo-Yo Ma plays Ennio Morricone, right? That's a soundtrack "greatest hits". Now that one is awesome.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn't like The Dark Knight as much as BB & DKR.

Of the 3 Dark Knight OST, I would say Batman Begins is he best follow by Dark Knight Rises.

DKR seems to have a lot more synthesized bass & electronic music, so if you have great bass like a subwoofer, it's cool.

You have Yo-Yo Ma plays Ennio Morricone, right? That's a soundtrack "greatest hits". Now that one is awesome.
I have two Yo-Yo Ma albums, both fantastic, but when I heard about the Ennio one from you the dollar was low (I think):D so I did not go through with that order in the basket. I will be pullng the trigger on that one plus the Dark Knight OST. I don't have high end sub but have 4 in the HT room including a PC Ultra and the movie does sound nice in the bass department.

There is one on our master list, the Adele live concert, that sounds great as reported but I noticed her very dynamic voice at times sounded noticeably distorted at the high end. So I played the CD that comes with the BR on my two channel system via the P362 and the Focal. Well, same kind of noticeable distortion, but even more noticeable through the Focal.

If you have that BR/CD combo I would appreciate if you could let me know if you hear what I hear. At the time I might have posted my findings either here on on another thread, and asked if it had to do with her singing too close to the mike. I think TLSG commented on it but I no longer remember the details.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have two Yo-Yo Ma albums, both fantastic, but when I heard about the Ennio one from you the dollar was low (I think):D so I did not go through with that order in the basket. I will be pullng the trigger on that one plus the Dark Knight OST. I don't have high end sub but have 4 in the HT room including a PC Ultra and the movie does sound nice in the bass department.

There is one on our master list, the Adele live concert, that sounds great as reported but I noticed her very dynamic voice at times sounded noticeably distorted at the high end. So I played the CD that comes with the BR on my two channel system via the P362 and the Focal. Well, same kind of noticeable distortion, but even more noticeable through the Focal.

If you have that BR/CD combo I would appreciate if you could let me know if you hear what I hear. At the time I might have posted my findings either here on on another thread, and asked if it had to do with her singing too close to the mike. I think TLSG commented on it but I no longer remember the details.
Downloading Adele Live At Royal Albert Hall now. :D

Will listen in a bit.

Wow. Okay. This one is high quality. Agree with this one.

Which track has the distortion?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I listened to 1/2 the Adele album on the KEF 201/2, and other half on Phil3. Now I'm listening on Salon2. I haven't notice the distortion.

Which tracks have the distortions?

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief

I have it! Can you post the track and the time it appears for me please.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Was it Hometown Glory about 2 minutes in? I heard a "click" twice about 5 seconds apart. I thought that was just her singing. Maybe something else. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, Adele Live album is great, definitely high quality. But I'm listening to Batman Begins OST on the Salon2 now. Gotta download this one from torrents, guys! :D

Gordonj

Gordonj

Full Audioholic
Well, Adele Live album is great, definitely high quality. But I'm listening to Batman Begins OST on the Salon2 now. Gotta download this one from torrents, guys! :D
Donald Fagen -Night Fly try out "Green Flower Street"

Gordon

Gordonj

Gordonj

Full Audioholic
Or- if you really want to shack things up try out Thomas Dolby - Aliens Ate My Buick - try out "Air Head"

Or - Nickel Creek - Nickel Creek

And to really see how the sub extension is try out Eagles Live - Hotel Cal. Listen to the tuning change on the kick drum. It samples up and then back down between each hit. Good recording.

Gordon

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And to really see how the sub extension is try out Eagles Live - Hotel Cal. Listen to the tuning change on the kick drum. It samples up and then back down between each hit. Good recording.

Gordon
I have the Eagles Hell Freezes Over album, CD 2.0 and DTS 5.1 CD. Definitely a very high quality album. Needs to be on the list. :D

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I would like to add anything by Imogen Heap (CD)... amazing recordings and The Last Resort by Trentemoller

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry guys, been out all day, just got back and it is almost time to go to bed. Will get back to you with the specific tracks/time etc soon. May be the Torrent stuff wouldn't reveal the slight distortion, but the BR and the CD that came with it would. If I remember right, it is only in her voice and only when she ramps up to her limit (I assume). The orchestra sounded great for sure.

Gordonj

Gordonj

Full Audioholic
Sorry guys, been out all day, just got back and it is almost time to go to bed. Will get back to you with the specific tracks/time etc soon. May be the Torrent stuff wouldn't reveal the slight distortion, but the BR and the CD that came with it would. If I remember right, it is only in her voice and only when she ramps up to her limit (I assume). The orchestra sounded great for sure.
Which Adele album, I could not find that one :confused:

But we should add -

Pink Floyd- Dark Side Of The Moon

and I would add David Gilmour Live in GaDansk Ship Yard DVD and CD great live recording and orchestra work as well.

Gordon

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Which Adele album, I could not find that one :confused:

But we should add -

Pink Floyd- Dark Side Of The Moon

and I would add David Gilmour Live in GaDansk Ship Yard DVD and CD great live recording and orchestra work as well.

Gordon
Live At The Royal Albert Hall. It is a must have, highly recommended.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have it! Can you post the track and the time it appears for me please.
She is singing as I am typing.:D Anyway, it pretty much applies to most tracks but you can try focus on "one and only", time: 00:52 especially near the end. I can also hear it whenever she talked loud and I think it is because she was eating the mike (too close).

You may not consider it as distortion. I just find it a touch harsh, grainy, sort of grating. It does not happen with her back up singers, orchestra and when she sang softly. It seems to get a touch better if I engage Audyssey but not Audyssey flat. I guess I am expecting perfection and end up being too picky and critical.

It is still among the best of my limited collection of live concert BRs aside from her singing voice being a touch harsh at times. I am sure it is not due to my equipment because I noticed no such harsh/grating kind of deal with my other live concert BR/DVD discs.

ADTG, I am not sure if the Torrent stuff are revealing enough.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTG, I am not sure if the Torrent stuff are revealing enough.
If it is high quality, it sounds like I'm listening to my SACD, DVD-A, or BD.

On the Adele album, I can hear every breath that she takes - as if she is singing right in front of me.

FLAC is FLAC, lossless is lossless regardless of where it came from.

I'm sure other members like GlocksRock can confirm.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If it is high quality, it sounds like I'm listening to my SACD, DVD-A, or BD.

On the Adele album, I can hear every breath that she takes - as if she is singing right in front of me.

FLAC is FLAC, lossless is lossless regardless of where it came from.

I'm sure other members like GlocksRock can confirm.
I switched amp, checked all connections still the same whether I use the Denon, Sony or Oppo 95. I really think she got too close to the mike. Given her powerful voice I wish she would not have done that, for me anyway.:D

I also replayed the CD in my 2 channel analog system. Even with the more revealing Focal, it seemed a little, just a little bit less grating. If you could not hear what I hear, then I guess I am just super sensitive to her top end frequencies (I am guessing 5 to 6K including the audible harmonics/source of distortions, but ignoring her fundamentals). The interesting is, I do not have similar issue with any of my other albums.

Thanks anyway for taking the time, I still thoroughly enjoy her singing and I will force myself to focus only on her musicality, instead of the ever so slightly scratchy top end.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I switched amp, checked all connections still the same whether I use the Denon, Sony or Oppo 95. I really think she got too close to the mike. Given her powerful voice I wish she would not have done that, for me anyway.:D

I also replayed the CD in my 2 channel analog system. Even with the more revealing Focal, it seemed a little, just a little bit less grating. If you could not hear what I hear, then I guess I am just super sensitive to her top end frequencies (I am guessing 5 to 6K including the audible harmonics/source of distortions, but ignoring her fundamentals). The interesting is, I do not have similar issue with any of my other albums.

Thanks anyway for taking the time, I still thoroughly enjoy her singing and I will force myself to focus only on her musicality, instead of the ever so slightly scratchy top end.
I usually only listen in the living room when my wife is not home because she doesn't like some of the music I listen to. :D

But I played the Adele album for her on the Phil3.

She actually loved it and said that the sound is so crystal clear - like Adele was in the living room. She didn't hear any distortion either.

Perhaps you are super sensitive. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I usually only listen in the living room when my wife is not home because she doesn't like some of the music I listen to. :D

But I played the Adele album for her on the Phil3.

She actually loved it and said that the sound is so crystal clear - like Adele was in the living room. She didn't hear any distortion either.

Perhaps you are super sensitive. :D
I asked mine too and she heard no distortion either. :confused: But can you email her for me and tell her to stay a couple more inches away from the mike in future live concerts?:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis