High level speaker in vs. line-level RCA in

whoabackoff

whoabackoff

Audiophyte
I'm currently shopping for a subwoofer to turn my 2.0 system into a 2.1 system. I was wondering what the pros/cons are between high-level speaker inputs and line-level RCA inputs are.

My amplifier is a 2 channel flea-watt tube amp. It only has 2 high-level speaker outputs. My receiver( actually a mixer ) has a couple line-level RCA outputs that could go to my amp and sub.

Option 1: Use the sub with high-level speaker inputs and outputs

Option 2: Use the sub with line-level input.

Option 3: -Maybe I'm missing an option? lol

What's the 'best' option?

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
I'm currently shopping for a subwoofer to turn my 2.0 system into a 2.1 system. I was wondering what the pros/cons are between high-level speaker inputs and line-level RCA inputs are.

My amplifier is a 2 channel flea-watt tube amp. It only has 2 high-level speaker outputs. My receiver( actually a mixer ) has a couple line-level RCA outputs that could go to my amp and sub.

many powered subs have both,

just cover all areas and be sure and get one that has both,generally speaking the sub will sound better & cleaner with pre-amp(RCA) input.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Essentially the line level option (rca) allows your receiver to handle the xover between the sub and the mains, and high level (speaker level) leaves the subwoofer to handle the xover duties.

I would highly recommend using line level option so you have greater control over bass management and can use the receiver to dial in the spl and xover of both the sub and mains to obtain better integration. I'm assuming since you have a receiver with preouts and amp, any sub in your budget will have a line level option.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja

The best option depends upon all of the specific gear we are talking about, and the desired outcome.

Theoretically, it is better to use line level inputs than speaker level inputs for a powered subwoofer, because otherwise, the subwoofer simply reduces the power down to about a line level and then re-amplifies it, so you get the added distortion, noise, whatever, from the main power amplifier in addition to whatever is going on in the subwoofer, without benefiting from the power being used. However, if the main amplifier is good, then this is likely to make for an inaudible difference.

There is also the issue of which devices are capable of redirecting different frequencies. With some powered subwoofers, the line level output has the deep bass filtered out, and so one can hook up one's preamp to the subwoofer, and use the subwoofer's line level outputs to the main amplifier, thus freeing it to provide power only to the upper frequencies, so you are less likely to run out of power for them. Of course, how well that will work depends on what frequencies are filtered out of the line level output, and the capabilities of the main speakers. And, of course, not all subwoofers handle things that way.

If you have a preamp (in your case, your mixer) that has an electronic crossover in it, then using that to send the signal directly to both the power amplifier and the subwoofer (upper frequencies to main amplifier, lower to subwoofer, obviously) is likely the best approach, assuming that you want to not send the full range signal to your main speakers (which, if you need a subwoofer, you probably do not want to send the full range signal to the main speakers). You can also buy a separate electronic crossover, though some of them can be expensive (professional models tend to be much cheaper than home units). And depending on the specific gear and desired results, it may not be a good investment, as the money that goes into that could go into a better subwoofer instead. But, again depending on the specific gear and desired results, it might be an excellent investment.

whoabackoff

whoabackoff

Audiophyte
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately my mixer isn't that great, and it doesn't have an electronic crossover in it. Therefore my amp and subwoofer would be receiving the exact same signal if I were to use the RCA connections.

My amplifier:
Glow Amp One
http://www.glow-audio.com/glowstuff.html

My mixer:
Stanton M.304
http://www.stantondj.com/pdf/manuals/m304_manual.pdf

My Speakers:
Klipsch RB-61
http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/rb-61-specifications/

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Okay, you can still use the line level inputs, and if you want to filter the deep bass to the main speakers, you can do that with something like this:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12nsd.cfm

You can read the manual about how you can do this:

http://www.svsound.com/newmanuals/SVS_400DManual_WEB.pdf

If you don't like the deep bass (below 80Hz) filtered for your main speakers, you have the option of sending a full range signal to your main speakers. (In your case, with two outputs on your mixer, that would always be an option, simply by hooking up your amplifier and subwoofer to the mixer, but even if you changed it for an ordinary preamp, with this subwoofer, you would have the option of full range or filtered output to your amplifier from the subwoofer.)

Now, if you have more money, you can go higher up the SVS line, and get deeper bass, but you will probably be very impressed with what that one will do for you. And judging from the cost of the gear you have, you probably are not wanting to spend more on a subwoofer. But, of course, more money could get deeper bass, and the ability to play louder.

With some other subwoofers, you might want to use the speaker level inputs, if it had some sort of filter only on the speaker outputs and not on the line level outputs. But you should probably try it both ways to see which you prefer (if both ways are possible; with the subwoofer above, it only has line level inputs, which is becoming increasingly common, as all modern surround receivers have line level outputs for subwoofers).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis