hi need advice on subwoofer replacement

jinjuku

jinjuku

You have made my point though, the thing DIED!
I get you but the sub may be 10-11 years old. Everything has a shelf life.

I encourage the OP to wait a bit longer. Can they save another $100 a month for 3-5 months and get something that will really perform? Still will only get 1-3 year warranty parts dependent most likely.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OTOH the driver in the 505 could well be fine if you just used another amp....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I encourage the OP to wait a bit longer. Can they save another $100 a month for 3-5 months and get something that will really perform? Still will only get 1-3 year warranty parts dependent most likely.
Doubt he has had it that long. Those things are known for blowing up at an alarming rate. I don't know how Polk have had the nerve to keep producing it that long.

You really can't expect a sub produced for $300 to be any good. Just consider making a box, as driver and amp for that money. It just does not add up.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

OTOH the driver in the 505 could well be fine if you just used another amp....
The driver almost certainly is fine. A new amp is half the cost of that sub. There is no drop in replacement, so there would have to be slight modification of the box.

This plate amp would do the job. It is half the cost of that sub, which is now discontinued.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The driver almost certainly is fine. A new amp is half the cost of that sub. There is no drop in replacement, so there would have to be slight modification of the box.

This plate amp would do the job. It is half the cost of that sub, which is now discontinued.
Or just leave the old plate amp in place and get a different form factor for amp (or I've even seen some just use another plate amp uninstalled). Depends on how much you want to fool with the box as well as budget.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Or just leave the old plate amp in place and get a different form factor for amp (or I've even seen some just use another plate amp uninstalled). Depends on how much you want to fool with the box as well as budget.
You can NOT leave a plate amp uninstalled, as they are open on the side opposite the plate. So dangerous high voltages are exposed. You can not seal that off, as it needs to be open for air circulation.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can NOT leave a plate amp uninstalled, as they are open on the side opposite the plate. So dangerous high voltages are exposed. You can not seal that off, as it needs to be open for air circulation.

Wouldn't be my recommendation, but if mounted well could be done. I'd rather use a pro/rack amp.

D

drekkar

Audiophyte
I went with the SVS-SB1000 spent around $440 I think? The sub is amazing and towers over my old one. Thank you guys for your help and support, I read every post.

D

drekkar

Audiophyte

Believe it or not i just bought the thing, lasted me about a 1year ISH

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
To be fair it does sound like OP was happy with his Polk sub until it died.
Then why not just buy another Polk? I know there are better subs but the HTS series seem pretty good by the reviews and specs.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Then why not just buy another Polk? I know there are better subs but the HTS series seem pretty good by the reviews and specs.
I think he means that his pig in a Polk only lasted him a year.

I always stress quality over the shoddy. It is the cheapest route by far in the long run. A vast amount of the equipment in my systems, are between 40 and 60 years old, and the bulk certainly over 15 years. My newest pieces are my studio AVP, TV and two BD players which are four years old, and the speakers in the in wall system also four years old. The newest item is the HTPC which was rebuilt within the last four years.

My main speakers are now 17 years old, my surrounds and rear backs 40 years old. The tape machines 50 years old and some of the disc equipment sixty years old.
The power amps in the system between 20 and 40 years old. Going for quality is by far the cheapest solution. Lastly those vintage items easily compete with the best of current offerings.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
I went with the SVS-SB1000 spent around $440 I think? The sub is amazing and towers over my old one. Thank you guys for your help and support, I read every post.
Did You get the SB1000 or SB1000 Pro? I upgraded to the Pros for $450 open-box Amazon deal with full warranty. More powerful amp and the wireless control through the SVS app is great for listening and adjusting as needed from your chair.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I think he means that his pig in a Polk only lasted him a year.

I always stress quality over the shoddy. It is the cheapest route by far in the long run. A vast amount of the equipment in my systems, are between 40 and 60 years old, and the bulk certainly over 15 years. My newest pieces are my studio AVP, TV and two BD players which are four years old, and the speakers in the in wall system also four years old. The newest item is the HTPC which was rebuilt within the last four years.

My main speakers are now 17 years old, my surrounds and rear backs 40 years old. The tape machines 50 years old and some of the disc equipment sixty years old.
The power amps in the system between 20 and 40 years old. Going for quality is by far the cheapest solution. Lastly those vintage items easily compete with the best of current offerings.
I hear you man. I retooled my system in 2012 or so when I moved. Sold everything including my beloved 30 plus years DCM Time Windows which were in bad shape. That said the HK 3490, the Infinity Primus towers, the NAD cd player, and the used REGA planar 3 that I purchased then are all working well at 10 years plus. So yeah, longevity does matter. Sometimes I wish I'd kept the Time Windows.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis