hi need advice on subwoofer replacement

D

drekkar

Audiophyte
Hi, i'm a bit new to all of this but I recently had a Polk audio PSW505 12" die on me (It makes weird crackling sounds on me) and the green light on sub turns off and on repeatedly so i'm not 100% sure what's wrong it. Anyways, i'm looking to replace it and hoping anyone could give me some advice for another home stereo subwoofer to replace it with. I'm using a Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver. Looking for something possibly just as powerful(but $200-$300ish) Thanks.

Suggestions please!

My receiver:

My dead subwoofer:

How is this one?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi, i'm a bit new to all of this but I recently had a Polk audio PSW505 12" die on me (It makes weird crackling sounds on me) and the green light on sub turns off and on repeatedly so i'm not 100% sure what's wrong it. Anyways, i'm looking to replace it and hoping anyone could give me some advice for another home stereo subwoofer to replace it with. I'm using a Yamaha TSR-7850 receiver. Looking for something possibly just as powerful(but $200-$300ish) Thanks.

Suggestions please!

My receiver:

My dead subwoofer:

How is this one?
I would go for this one. This will give you more bass extension than your other sub.

The SVS is a far better sub than the Klipsch. That Klipsch actually barely makes it as a sub by spec. The SVS gives you another half octave of bass extension. It is well worth the extra money. I also doubt the Klipsch will be long lived, so the SVS will likely be the cheaper option in the long run.

D

drekkar

Audiophyte
I would go for this one. This will give you more bass extension than your other sub.

The SVS is a far better sub than the Klipsch. That Klipsch actually barely makes it as a sub by spec. The SVS gives you another half octave of bass extension. It is well worth the extra money. I also doubt the Klipsch will be long lived, so the SVS will likely be the cheaper option in the long run.
Definitely looks like a solid sub. If it was in my price ranged I'd definitely go for it, but looking for something a bit cheaper, have anymore suggestions for something around the $300ish range?

I also looked at :
Rockville BASS Blaster 12 12" 800w

Not sure if you have an opinion about that one. But yea.. look for a cheaper alternative! Thanks for your time man!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Definitely looks like a solid sub. If it was in my price ranged I'd definitely go for it, but looking for something a bit cheaper, have anymore suggestions for something around the $300ish range?

I also looked at :
Rockville BASS Blaster 12 12" 800w

Not sure if you have an opinion about that one. But yea.. look for a cheaper alternative! Thanks for your time man!
That price range gets you into the junk category. I'm not in the habit of recommending junk. Junk are the most expensive purchases you can make. That Rockville thing is the very epitome of junk. We are not in the habit of recommending that type of product here.

The SVS is the best value for money of the three of them.

D

drekkar

Audiophyte
Looks like i'm going with that one then. Thanks for your time man! I'll keep learning as i go :)

D

drekkar

Audiophyte
Well.... any idea what a red light(supposed to be solid green when on) instead of a solid green means? It shows a red slowly blinking light instead. And weird static sounds coming from it. Do you think it's blown or can I give you anymore details to figure out what's wrong with it?? ty

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well.... any idea what a red light(supposed to be solid green when on) instead of a solid green means? It shows a red slowly blinking light instead. And weird static sounds coming from it. Do you think it's blown or can I give you anymore details to figure out what's wrong with it?? ty
Blinking red light means "death". It is done, and ready for the recycling center, unless you want to replace the plate amp. In my view it is not worth it, for that sub.

Those plate amps are not really serviceable, as you end up quickly with more tech time than they are worth.

These days your best bet is to go for quality. That turns out to be cheapest in the long run.

D

drekkar

Audiophyte
any idea what caused it? I'd like to avoid that if possible. did my home stereo have anything to do with it dying?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

any idea what caused it? I'd like to avoid that if possible. did my home stereo have anything to do with it dying?
No. They are a trouble prone sub.

Here is a video of an experienced tech serving that unit. Unless you are experienced do not try and service this yourself. It will not be worth paying a tech to do it, even if you could find one these days.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
IMO, I have had the Klipsch 10" or R-100SW, for 4+ years and is an admirable performer in my HT smaller size room, 8 X 10. My distance to the mains are 7 feet. It is positioned along side the FR speaker. At the time, it was $400 and paid $200 in sale.
Here is a review on the newest Klipsch 12" Klipsch Reference R-121SW 12" Ported Subwoofer Review | Audioholics

Prior, I had a Yamaha subwoofer and wanted a more later dated sub, and chose Klipsch and was in my budget! It has been terrific!

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
TLSGuy linked SB1000Pro, at $599, double of OP's budget.
Here's a much better option for much less money and MORE sub:
SBS PB-1000 (non-Pro) at $399 with free shipping it's practically a steal.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

TLSGuy linked SB1000Pro, at $599, double of OP's budget.
Here's a much better option for much less money and MORE sub:
SBS PB-1000 (non-Pro) at $399 with free shipping it's practically a steal.
I assumed he wanted to replace a 12" sub with a 12" sub. That 10" sub is an incredible value now. Looks like it is on close out. You could not build one for that money.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I assumed he wanted to replace a 12" sub with a 12" sub. That 10" sub is an incredible value now. Looks like it is on close out. You could not build one for that money.
And mark, I don’t know what to say. You actually recommended a sealed sub. I may have lost faith in you!

D

drekkar

Audiophyte
Do you guys have any other suggestions or opinions ? Closer to $300 :) I understand if you can't, no problem.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Do you guys have any other suggestions or opinions ? Closer to $300 :) I understand if you can't, no problem.
If you go that cheap, you will be back here faster then you can say "Jack Robinson" with another blinking light!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
again, SB1000 - Sealed. PB1000 is ported. Later one has deeper bass and a bit more overall bass output.
PB1000 > SB1000

See the link for pb1000 in the SVS outlet above.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I suggest you save for a bit longer. There's appreciable difference from $300 to $500.

Maybe the BIC H-100II ~$350

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis