Herbert von Karajan Memorial Concert Blu-ray

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Got if for Christmas and will watch it when we get home:D

Matt34

Matt34

I got my Karajan BD today and popped it in for a quick listen, made it about 10 minutes in. Really impressive stuff, I watched it in PCM 2.1 and boy does it make me want some B&W 805s or Paradigm Sig 2 even more.

Session got cut short because my daughter had to check out her new Dora the Explorer DVD.;)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Got if for Christmas and will watch it when we get home:D
Are we home yet? Are we home yet? Are we home yet? Are we home yet? Are we home yet? Are we home yet?

I got my Karajan BD today and popped it in for a quick listen, made it about 10 minutes in. Really impressive stuff, I watched it in PCM 2.1 and boy does it make me want some B&W 805s or Paradigm Sig 2 even more.
Yeah, you might have noticed, I experienced something similar when I put this on (AT screen desire was stoked heavily the first night). :D I probably thought of speakers too, but anyways, haha. I'm glad you like what you've seen. I'll have to check in on your build thread, because I don't remember if you only have a streamlined 2.1 system. The first mvmt is definitely the longest, and just near the end of it is the cadenza (per usual with these concertos) written by this show violinist named Fritz Kreisler, and it really is quite the crowd pleaser. :D

Session got cut short because my daughter had to check out her new Dora the Explorer DVD.;)
Heehee.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Are we home yet? Are we home yet? Are we home yet? Are we home yet? Are we home yet? Are we home yet?
Yes, but I just made an initial test so far without the video, testing some issues with my Onkyo 705 needing a video connection to hear HDMI audio:eek: It is impressive but need to turn on the projector and watch it, soon.:D I guess reading the back of the box that you can select 2.1 or 5.1.

I think the 705 needs the video for handshaking to get the HDMI audio but no credible confirmation so far and that is the only way I can get that audio feed. Optical and coax works without video.
But, I will let you know when:D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
It is impressive but need to turn on the projector and watch it, soon.:D I guess reading the back of the box that you can select 2.1 or 5.1.
Good luck with whatever you are testing. Yes, you need to see it too. The Tchaikovsky 6th has the more impressive camera work (since the concerto focuses so much on a single instrumentalist). I learned from Alex that this is available from Netflix now (and confirmed), and I think* it wasn't at the time I purchased this. I would have rented it first, if I remember what I was thinking at the time. Glad I saved that $3.25. :D

It is 2.0 or 5.1 (as with nearly any classical concert disc, including DVD), and all of the Medici titles that I've seen (several) come defaulted to 2.0. You know, what's nice about these discs . . . no previews! Plays immediately, and the pop up menu is very quick to appear and quick to use on all of them. The Beethoven Piano Concertos is the only disc I have that doesn't use 5.1 PCM but instead DTS-MA 5.1.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Well, I finally had a chance to watch and listen last night:D unencumbered by others;)
WOW, it is a great disc and performance. Thanks for bringing this to our attention:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Select mch PCM (or 5.1). All of the Medici titles I own are defaulted to 2.0 PCM. If you failed to select 5.1, then perhaps your receiver is matrixing the stereo source, and hence your disappointment. Because, I have no idea what you are talking about.
I need to revisit this post of yours:D
I had to play with my setup to figure this out; however, after I had MPCM displaying on the receiver, I still didn't get anything from the sub, the .1ch. Did you? Perhaps something else I am missing on the setup someplace as I usually use the bitstream formats.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I need to revisit this post of yours:D
I had to play with my setup to figure this out; however, after I had MPCM displaying on the receiver, I still didn't get anything from the sub, the .1ch. Did you?
I assume that I did. I will put my ear up next to sub next time I put this on for you. I won't be able to until tomorrow night at the very earliest. The reason I believe it was on is because of how full the bass seemed to me during the tutti sections. I like my PSBs, but they're not that good I believe.

Perhaps something else I am missing on the setup someplace as I usually use the bitstream formats.
I had to look through your sig's link to your HT. With Panny, I set everything to bitstream. No downmix, and I think no secondary either. I am assuming you are connected via HDMI.

Now I'm even more curious what you were testing with your stuff before.

edit: Not everything is bitstreamed now. DTSMA is sent out as mch PCM, because I discovered issues when playing The Orphanage and Terminator Salvation. If I ever get around to the major hassle of updating my receiver's FW, then I can send as bitstream once again without worry.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

No hurry on your testing, plenty of time here:D
Yes, that is how the Panny is set up and HDMI, of course. If DTSMA is pcm, why does the receiver read DTSMA instead of PCM?
This BD did light up the PCM on the faceplate. Since I have an EQ before the sub, easy to tell if the lights light up but it didn't with this BD.

Oh, I have some funny issues with the HDMI or the handshaking when the video projector is turned off. It will not lock on to the audio from HDMI, at least not with the pj and the long HDMI going to it. No issues when the pj is on, of course. It will also lock on is I just connect a short HDMI cable to the video out without having a pj or monitor connected to the cable:mad:

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
If DTSMA is pcm, why does the receiver read DTSMA instead of PCM?
I don't understand your question. Um, I have the bomb issue, I believe on the two aforementioned movies. It was bitstreaming otherwise for quite a long time.

This BD did light up the PCM on the faceplate. Since I have an EQ before the sub, easy to tell if the lights light up but it didn't with this BD.
This is just weird man.

Oh, I have some funny issues with the HDMI or the handshaking when the video projector is turned off. It will not lock on to the audio from HDMI, at least not with the pj and the long HDMI going to it. No issues when the pj is on, of course. It will also lock on is I just connect a short HDMI cable to the video out without having a pj or monitor connected to the cable:mad:
That is strange. Do you know what your FW is for both HDMI and DSPs? I don't know if I will ever do it, but here is the cumulative Onkyo xx5 FW:
http://rs165.rapidshare.com/files/258820207/xx5_Onkyo_UpdatesISO.zip

It's not "official", and I think doing it may even void warranty, but yours is probably up by this point I imagine. You will have to go to the relevant threads in the amps subforum of AVS to get assistance, if only to know if it's even worth the hassle. Lemme go look for a recent post where I stated my own current Onkyo FWs at the thread here.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I ordered the memorial concert yesterday so it will be another 5 to 10 days of waiting. Is it 5.1 or 7.1?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I ordered the memorial concert yesterday so it will be another 5 to 10 days of waiting. Is it 5.1 or 7.1?
Every classical DVD/BD that has mch has never been in 7.1 that I have seen, but I haven't seen very many. It's in 5.1 PCM.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Every classical DVD/BD that has mch has never been in 7.1 that I have seen, but I haven't seen very many. It's in 5.1 PCM.
5.1 is good enough for me as long as it is uncompressed, and I am sure it is. I only asked the question out of curiosity because so far 50% of my BR concert discs are 7.1. Neither one of them has much information in the surround back channels anyway.

I have the violin concerto in D major in SACD, CD and vinyl so I can't wait to listen to it on BR. Thanks again for telling us about this. I hope more classical BR are on the way as I have almost given up hope on new releases on SACD and/or DVD-A.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
5.1 is good enough for me as long as it is uncompressed, and I am sure it is.
Correct.

I only asked the question out of curiosity because so far 50% of my BR concert discs are 7.1. Neither one of them has much information in the surround back channels anyway.
Which concerts are in 7.1? Thanks. Outside of the several classical concert BDs, I've also seen Jimi in Monterey, Rolling Stones Shine A Light, Dave Matthews, The Last Waltz, and I think* all of those were in 5.1.

I have the violin concerto in D major in SACD, CD and vinyl so I can't wait to listen to it on BR. Thanks again for telling us about this. I hope more classical BR are on the way as I have almost given up hope on new releases on SACD and/or DVD-A.
Neat, I think the only recording I used to have was by Kyung Wha Chung on CD, think it was on London. Yep, I checked, with Montreal/Dutoit. It's been many years since I heard it (don't have it anymore), but it was more serene in nature. I believe I prefer Mutter's impassioned rendition, but it's hard to say because it's been so long. Actually, I prefer the BD recording, but hey. I'm also pretty sure that Chung played Kreisler's cadenza (I'm sure almost everyone does).

Who do you have performing the work, and which do you prefer? Thanks...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Which concerts are in 7.1? Thanks. Outside of the several classical concert BDs, I've also seen Jimi in Monterey, Rolling Stones Shine A Light, Dave Matthews, The Last Waltz, and I think* all of those were in 5.1.
I never said classical.:D Actually I also remember wrong because I just double checked David Foster's Hit Man and Barbra Streisand, thinking that one of them was 7.1 It turns out they are both 5.1. The only 7.1 I have are Chris Botti in Boston (part of the contents come close to 'classical') and Doors but Doors is really just a movie.

Who do you have performing the work, and which do you prefer? Thanks...
I probably do prefer Anne-Sophie Mutter but I have not listened to some of my old favourites after several moves. I just don't have the time to open all the boxes just to locate some old CDs and vinyl albums. I do have the following on hand simply because they are among purchases made in more recent years.

Tchaikovsky's D major:
Vinyl: Christian Ferras, Herbert Von Karajan
SACD: Anne-Sophie Mutter, Andre' Previn
SACD: Julia Fischer, Yakov Kreizberg
CD: Can't find it, may be still in the basement somewhere.

Beethoven's D major:
SACD: Anne-Sophie Mutter, Kurt Masur

I thought I had at least another one or two (vinyl or CD) performed by Nigel Kennedy, Isaac Stern or Kyung Wha Chung, but again they may still be in one of boxes in the basement or got lost or sold in garage sales.

I am now waiting for the Brahms and Mendelssohn's violin concertos to be released in BR. I think Ms Mutter did all 4 with Karajan but obviously to show up in BR she would have to work with someone else.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I never said classical.:D
I know you silly, that's why I listed the rock discs. :p

Tchaikovsky's D major:
Vinyl: Christian Ferras, Herbert Von Karajan
I've got one of those value-double-disc recordings of Ferras playing some sonatas with piano. It's been a while, thanks for reminding me of it.

I thought I had at least another one or two (vinyl or CD) performed by Nigel Kennedy . . .
I am now waiting for the Brahms and Mendelssohn's violin concertos to be released in BR. I think Ms Mutter did all 4 with Karajan but obviously to show up in BR she would have to work with someone else.
Of the two works, I vote for Brahms! :D My only recording of that is with Nigel Kennedy, and while I have nothing to compare it to, I really enjoy it. I also love that he wrote his own cadenza for it, which I think is really great (though some romantic-diehards aren't so fond of it). I think he in fact took time off his classical career to be a jazz violinist.

My favorite rendition I have heard of the Mendelssohn is by Nadja Solerno-Sonnenberg.

Tchaikovsky's D major:
SACD: Anne-Sophie Mutter, Andre' Previn
This is at least the second or third time I've shared this story, but many years ago, I bought 5 excellent seats for that exact duo, with Philly in Boston, at least a half year in advance. I specifically remember two of three nights were already sold out at time of purchase. I taped the envelope with all of the tix onto the underside of my desk's top, inside the desk drawer so that they could not be lost.

The day of the concert, my roommate's car broke down. I ate my ticket at at a chicken wing restaurant at the exact time of the start of the concert.

BUT, thanks to this bluray, I finally got to "see" her, what, nearly two decades later. :p

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I just got the Netflix version. I was wondering if no menu and lack of multi channel playback is normal. With any other BR that I have played my rec'r goes to DD or DTS but with this one it goes to Logic7 5 Channel Stereo or Music. I just switched it over to Stereo with a XO @ 80Hz and really enjoyed the first 22 minutes but gotta cut out now to do stuff.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
You were just a few minutes away from the cadenza, which you will really enjoy. There is a popup menu. You can select the mch PCM. I suppose in this case, the Pana may be able to recode this into a lossy stream. However, you shouldn't care, because I have never ever heard a classical concert disc that didn't sound better as lossless 2.0, when compared to lossy mch.

If and when you get an HDMI receiver, make sure to re-rent this title.

I am glad you have enjoyed what you have seen! For people like you (and I know because certain friends have said so), the symphony during the second half of the BD is rather educational, in seeing how the orchestra interacts. Camera work is the best I've ever seen with this latter work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis