Help with Yamaha TSR-700

B

Bkrad70

Audiophyte
So I’m having issues with Dolby Atmos and hoping to get some clarity. I’ve got the NVidia Shield running to the TSR-700 and confirmed that the sound options on the Shield does indicate Dolby Atmos availability. However, any Dolby Atmos available content just comes up as DD+. This is true with any streaming option I use...Netflix,Hulu, Plex etc.. Tv is set to pass through, the TSR-700 speaker configuration is: Power Amp Assign 5.1.2, front/center/surround set to large, front presence set to small, Layout set to overhead. What am I missing in my setup to get Dolby Atmos? I have also ran Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime through the PS4 with no sign of Dolby Atmos either

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
So I’m having issues with Dolby Atmos and hoping to get some clarity. I’ve got the NVidia Shield running to the TSR-700 and confirmed that the sound options on the Shield does indicate Dolby Atmos availability. However, any Dolby Atmos available content just comes up as DD+. This is true with any streaming option I use...Netflix,Hulu, Plex etc.. Tv is set to pass through, the TSR-700 speaker configuration is: Power Amp Assign 5.1.2, front/center/surround set to large, front presence set to small, Layout set to overhead. What am I missing in my setup to get Dolby Atmos? I have also ran Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime through the PS4 with no sign of Dolby Atmos either
What are you thoughts on how your 700 sounds? I have the V6A which is Basically the same unit mine has no issues.

B

Bkrad70

Audiophyte
The sound has been great. It’s just trying to get certain parts of the receiver to cooperate. I’m a rookie on all of this for the most part though.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Oh hit that Selecting knob, than Toggle till you get Atmos to display on the front. It took me looking over the internet to find Yamahas Full Manual found it on page umm 25 if I remember right. For some reason like Yamaha does you can't switch up the display from the OSD to get it to display on the front panel you gotta do that from the AVR's front dial. I did speak with a Yamaha CS dude, he said the upcoming firmware updates will correct that. Cause I went, what the hell man, I have you guys 7790 about from the remote going into the settings within OSD I can switch to see what DSP mode and it will pop up on OSD and on the front of the 7790 display. He goes the upcoming firmware will allow the V6a to do that. I also asked him about the Display button on the remote that it does Absolutely nothing, that on my 7790 it would allow you to pull up info on the front panel of the unit and it'll pop up on my tv so you can check which DSP it is running like, THD or MasterHD again he goes the Future firmware update will correct that. So who really knows he may have been telling me that just for sh$ts and giggles.

Last edited:
B

Bkrad70

Audiophyte
Oh hit that Selecting knob, than Toggle till you get Atmos to display on the front. It took me looking over the internet to find Yamahas Full Manual found it on page umm 25 if I remember right. For some reason like Yamaha does you can't switch up the display from the OSD to get it to display on the front panel you gotta do that from the AVR's front dial. I did speak with a Yamaha CS dude, he said the upcoming firmware updates will correct that. Cause I went, what the hell man, I have you guys 7790 about from the remote going into the settings within OSD I can switch to see what DSP mode it it pops up on OSD and on the front of the 7790 display. He goes the upcoming firmware will aloud the V6a to do that. I also asked him about the Display button on the remote that it does Absolutely nothing, that on my 7790 it would aloud you to pull up info on the front panel of the unit and it'll pop up on my tv so you can check which DSP it is running like, THD or MasterHD again he goes the Future firmware update will correct that. So who really knows he may have been telling me that just for sh$ts and giggles.
I can see the audio output by hitting the Option button on remote, then hitting Audio Signal Information. It’s not showing anything Dolby Atmos.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I can see the audio output by hitting the Option button on remote, then hitting Audio Signal Information. It’s not showing anything Dolby Atmos.
okay, I'm gonna put a movie in my 4K player and see what pops up on the display i'll postup what it shows

B

Bkrad70

Audiophyte
Ok, I think I got it. Going through all the setting again it had Virtual Cinema Front as On. Turning that off activated Atmos. Huge stress relief on that

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Ok, I think I got it. Going through all the setting again it had Virtual Cinema Front as On. Turning that off activated Atmos. Huge stress relief on that
Hey where did you go into settings? Configuration? oh wait yeah found it, just turned mine off, why in the hell Yamaha goes and put that on anyways! I didn't set that to on. :mad:

B

Bkrad70

Audiophyte
Well crap. Everything was running fine so I went to grab lunch. Came back and powered everything up...now no sound at all. Settings are the same, nothing changed...any thoughts?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Well crap. Everything was running fine so I went to grab lunch. Came back and powered everything up...now no sound at all. Settings are the same, nothing changed...any thoughts?
Do a hard reset back to Factory settings if you haven't check that maybe it's on "mute"? if after you do a reset and still the same no sound return it for Exchange or refund. If you can't do that cause the return window has closed than Yamaha CS it is for a send in for repair. Dam da bad luck, anyways best of luck bro!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If I bite my tongue any harder I'm gonna bleed all over this keyboard.:p

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
“But Beaver, it lights up green and the remote is backlit.” “F#%kin’ Larry!”
12D751EA-FB63-42FB-9B2E-0A549DB0E5C8.jpeg

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
How do you do Bkrad70? The TSR-700 and the Nvidia Shield are easily the two most frustrating pieces of gear I have ever purchased but they both look so cool. The TSR-700 I purchased had issues and I returned it. It had issues with Atmos through an Apple TV 4K. The Nvidia Shield may be going back as well. It has Atmos issues with my Onkyo. Check the audio settings on the Shield. I’m not sure about all of the apps, but I noticed that trying to use the Disney+ app with HDR OFF resulted in the app streaming HD 5.1 instead of 4K and Atmos. It has quite a few resolution and audio settings to choose from in the menu. I’ll keep tweaking it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Streaming Dolby Atmos is very hit and miss. I have to use the Apps on the TV and use eARC audio return. The only other way it works is your iPhone and Chrome Cast Ultra. Those are the systems that work for sure on my rig. I'm using a Marantz 7705. We have had other reports of it not working on other rigs also. I have a feeling that the issue is overzealous DRM. There is no problem with discs.

B

Bkrad70

Audiophyte
Looks like everything is running great now. I’ve confirmed that the Shield is capable of running Dolby Atmos. Shield > Settings > Device Preference > About > Status > HDMI and look at Audio Mode to ensure Dolby Atmos is able to run on it.

As far as the TSR-700, once I turned off the Virtual Cinema Front under the Setup menu, all was good. I’ve confirmed this by watching Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime. 4K runs great and audio output confirms Atmos/DD+

F

fmodiri

Audiophyte
good morning, I have a question about Yamaha TSR-700. It says that only 7 speakers can work at the same time. so you will decide to use front presence OR surround back. so even if I have both, will it only use one or will it automatically turn them on and off during the movie as needed?

F

fmodiri

Audiophyte
Thanks. I just got off the phone with Yamaha tech support and here’s the deal:
This AVR can NOT support both rear surround and front presence at the same time. Front presence speakers HAVE TO be connected to ZONE 2 for Atmos. The rear ones will be inactive in Dolby Atmos mode. You can connect rear surround speakers to ZONE 1 and they will be used for 5.1 or other modes that use rear surround. To be able to use all, you will have to upgrade to a 9.1 system which TSR-700 is not.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, that is what is stated in the manual. Whatever number of amps are in a receiver, is the number of channels that can be powered. So, with a seven channel receiver, your choices are 7.1 or 5.1.2 for atmos and DTS:X. You can connect nine speakers and then change the amp assignments to suit the material.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis