Help with Streaming Services

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I apologize if I am beating a dead horse, but I want to be sure I got this right an I am using the Yamaha sound decoders the way they should be used. Here is what I think:

Source: The source format the AVR is receiving is displayed on the AVR unit itself. If no source is displayed, hit info on remote until the AVR displays the source. (DD+ is common for compressed Dolby when streaming)

Decoder: Decoders are selected to control how the AVR interprets/processes the source signal. To specify a decoder using the AV controller app:
1) Select the DSP icon at the bottom of the app. This will display many available options.
2) Select the Sound Decoder icon
3) The Sound Decoder icon will change to one of the decoders listed below. Continue to click the icon to cycle through the available decoders:
Dolby surround​
DTS Neural: X​
DTS Neo: 6 Cinema​
DTS Neo: 6 Music​

If everything above is correct, here are my questions:
1) Dolby surround - Since there is only one Dolby decoder available, the decoder will process the available signal and upscale / down scale depending on # of speakers configured with AVR?
i.e. a DD 5.1 signal will be up scaled to Atmos if you have a 5.1.4 setup configured
an Atmos signal will be down scaled to 5.1 if you have that speaker setup configured
an Atmos signal will be processed precisely as it is intended if you have a 5.1.4 setup configured

2) No DTS-X option listed above. Is this because I have yet to play a DTS-X source? When I do play DTS-X content, this option will be available?

3) Is there any reason anyone would process a DD+ signal using DTS Neural: X? Or a DTS signal using Dolby Digital?

Thank you for any feedback,
Andrew
Atmos is made by Dolby, DSU upmixer is made by Dolby to simulate Atmos

DTSX is made by DTS, DTS NeuralX upmixer is made by DTS to simulate DTSX

#1 - Yes DSU Dolby Surround Upmixer will use all the speakers and send signal to them to matrix a similar sound using DSU including the ceiling speakers but it won’t be true Atmos unless there is Atmos information (metadata) in either an Atmos Blu-ray or UHD or from a streamer or source device capable of Atmos using Dolby Digital Plus to send the receiver Atmos information. Obviously an Atmos track on a disc has much more bandwidth and uses the full capabilities of the codec, whereas the limited bandwidth over DD+ will do its best since it is compressed.

#2 Yes DTSX will be used if the UHD disc has a DTSX track.

#3. On the 2060 you can use either upmixer on any source. On 2080 though Yamaha locked it so DTS NeuralX can’t upmix any Dolby signal, however DSU can still upmix any signal. ( 2070 is like the 2060, but may or may not get locked liked the 2080 in a future firmware update.)

More info: DTS NeuralX is very similar to DSU in that they are matrixing to guess how to simulate something very similar to DTSX (DTS’s competition to Atmos). Real DTSX will only come from Blu-ray or UHD discs that have DTSX tracks. They don’t currently support metadata over one of the compressed DTS decoders yet (maybe someday)

S

Spdmn256

Junior Audioholic
I think you mentioned previously you measured a download speed of 35 Mbps. That’s somewhat low but it does sound like you’re streaming certain content without issue. This thread is a little long so I might have just missed more on that but it might be worth looking into further. Is your system hard-wired or on WiFi?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis