Help with Streaming Services

A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
Hi All,
I'm returning to HT after a 15 year absence and all is new. I purchased a Yam A-2080 receiver, Sony X800 blu ray (Atmos support) and am using old 5.1 equip until new BMR L/R/C arrive. When streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime, and even watching a B-movie DVD, the sound was awful. Nothing was going to sub at all, and speakers sounded like they were behind a wall. I thought it might have been related to receiver's AI and played with settings (Direct, Movie Mode, Enhanced, etc.) Nothing helped and I was ready to return Yamaha. Then I played an old Blu Ray (Thor, Dark World) and all was good. The room began shaking, sounds coming from all directions, I was happy!

I stream a lot of movies from Netflix and Amazon (FireHD stopped working). Should I expect decent 5.1 sound coming from these 2 sources? The Netflix movies I tested included Thor Ragnarok, which was stated as 5.1, but was nothing close. Is this typical of streaming? What can I do to improve? Better devices? Better services? Bad Bandwidth? If this is already discussed, would anyone have a link to the thread? should I complain to Amazon/Netflix?
Thank you,
Andrew

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Streaming audio is not even close to bluray. It shouldnt sound muddled or behind a wall, but it wont impress you like a disk.

A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
Hi DP, it was really bad.... something wasn't right. Could it be Sony BluRay? This link says Roku streams Dolby Digital with Atmos up mix.
Can anyone confirm?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi DP, it was really bad.... something wasn't right. Could it be Sony BluRay? This link says Roku streams Dolby Digital with Atmos up mix.
Can anyone confirm?
Most are dd+. There are a few titles that are native atmos. What do you have the dvd player set to bitsream or PCM?

A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
Audio has 2 settings (Auto and PCM) I changed to PCM (128bits) and watched intro to Ragnorok. Sub is now firing and it is acceptable, but will need better when new BMR speakers arrive.
Thank you for the information. Calling Netflix and Amazon to get their recommendations. Netflix recommends Apple TV.

A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
Netflix and Amazon Prime both confirmed Atmos using Apple TV 4K. Amazon also recommended FireHD, but not Netflix. AppleTV 4K on order $200. Man this has become more complicated than it used to be!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Can anyone confirm?
I have the Roku Ultra on my HT system and have primarily streamed Amazon Prime, and Netflix...I haven't played back any atmos movies via either of those streaming sources, but 5.1 sound is fine...as others have said, not like a bluray, but no issues with it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Audio has 2 settings (Auto and PCM) I changed to PCM (128bits) and watched intro to Ragnorok. Sub is now firing and it is acceptable, but will need better when new BMR speakers arrive.
Thank you for the information. Calling Netflix and Amazon to get their recommendations. Netflix recommends Apple TV.
Is it 2.0 pcm or multi-ch pcm? What player?

A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
Sony X800 Blu Ray. Not sure audio details. 2 available settings: Auto and PCM. Once PCM is selected, there are choices for bitrate: 28k - 128k

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sony X800 Blu Ray. Not sure audio details. 2 available settings: Auto and PCM. Once PCM is selected, there are choices for bitrate: 28k - 128k
Don't see much in the UBP-800X manual to explain. What does your avr indicate it is receiving when set to pcm?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think you have touched on a difficult issue, to which the solution is personal.

I don't like to use propriety devices for streaming. I personally dislike pretty much anything Apple.

I basically use two devices for streaming. My device of choice is HTPCs running Windows 10 pro operating system, and Chromecast.

My preferred option by far is an HTPC. This gives me by far the best choice and variety of streaming sources. They can all be accessed easily and promplty. I feel strongly a good HTPC adds fuctionality and value to any system.

The cheap Chromecast makes it easy to send programs to your system for any laptop or hand held device with the correct app and supporting programs. But still an HTPC is my first choice.

To get Netflix in Dolby Digital plus on your Windows 10 you need to load the Netflix app. On my system via this app picture and sound quality are excellent.

Now Amazon is a problem as you need their proprietary Firestick to get DD+ from Amazon. I refuse to pander to this corporate nonsense and receive Amazon on 2 channel and use Dolby Pl 2x algorithm. Frankly is works very well with surround information largely preserved.

Now if you did not have your sub working on 2 channel Netflix then your speaker set up is not correct and you should be using bitstream rather than PCM. You need to identify the sub and set your crossovers correctly with crossed over speakers set to small.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Your setup is similar to mine. I have the Yamaha 2060 and Sony x800 and Apple 4K. The sound on the Apple 4K is awesome for Netflix and Amazon and DirectTV Now App in multichannel PCM. There should be an Atmos update coming for the Apple 4K. The sound on Amazon app is good on the Sony x800 as well in DD+. The Sony only sends Dolby Digital for the Netflix app though. My Sony x800 is set to auto in the audio settings. Not PCM.

My Atmos speakers are not installed yet so I’m still in 5.1 for now. They just arrived Tuesday.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I edited my post about the x800. Only the Amazon app on it does DD+. Netflix app is just DD.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ok another update, my Apple 4K just updated today and it is now saying it is Atmos capable! I’ll check that out when I get my Atmos speakers installed for 5.1.4 :)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi All,
I'm returning to HT after a 15 year absence and all is new. I purchased a Yam A-2080 receiver, Sony X800 blu ray (Atmos support) and am using old 5.1 equip until new BMR L/R/C arrive. When streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime, and even watching a B-movie DVD, the sound was awful. Nothing was going to sub at all, and speakers sounded like they were behind a wall. I thought it might have been related to receiver's AI and played with settings (Direct, Movie Mode, Enhanced, etc.) Nothing helped and I was ready to return Yamaha. Then I played an old Blu Ray (Thor, Dark World) and all was good. The room began shaking, sounds coming from all directions, I was happy!

I stream a lot of movies from Netflix and Amazon (FireHD stopped working). Should I expect decent 5.1 sound coming from these 2 sources? The Netflix movies I tested included Thor Ragnarok, which was stated as 5.1, but was nothing close. Is this typical of streaming? What can I do to improve? Better devices? Better services? Bad Bandwidth? If this is already discussed, would anyone have a link to the thread? should I complain to Amazon/Netflix?
Thank you,
Andrew
You need to set up the receiver properly before it sounds good.

FYI- streaming audio CAN sound just fine- it's not always as bad as many people say.

A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
Hi All,

I have spent too much time building stage, hanging curtains... and other non-technical jobs. However, I finally got a chance to set up AppleTV 4K and install apps and register device, etc. again too much time. Then I turned on Amazon Prime's Jack Ryan. The first Atmos series available. Even though I only have 5.2 at the moment, I thought Atmos would deliver highest effects. It sounded underwater. I then changed apple TV settings form auto to digital 5.1 which was better but underwhelming. The opening scene depicts a 1980's US bombing of a middle eastern country. Surround was OK, but nothing from my subs. I spent a long time changing settings before trying Netflix's Dr. Strange. Immediate subs and immersive experience. Additionally, I realized an old sub I thought was broken and replaced with a PB4000 was working, it was bad content. Now I have 5.2 ;-)

SnakeEyes, When you get a chance, can you please stream Amazon's Jack Ryan and let me know if the opening bombing scene has no bass? I want to confirm its due to poor recording and not my system dropping some of the audio. I would appreciate confirmation before I purchase more unneeded equipment ;-)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I wouldnt attempt to stream ATMOS over wifi if that's the case.

A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
That was the case. Atmos is too demanding for wifi? Do most people hardwire? AppleTV does have port for internet, but it would require me running cable from 2nd floor to third.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
That was the case. Atmos is too demanding for wifi? Do most people hardwire? AppleTV does have port for internet, but it would require me running cable from 2nd floor to third.
In this case it is carried on the Dolby Digital Plus format as meta data and reassembled into Atmos at a much smaller bandwidth than normal Atmos on a Blu-ray. WiFi should work ok assuming you have good internet and a good WiFi router. You can always test the WiFi speed on your smartphone when it is on the same WiFi to be sure.

I can check on Jack Ryan soon via Apple 4K (I actually watched it on my Sony x800 when I watched it originally) but my Atmos speakers are not installed yet so it will only be 5.1 DD+ until I get my 5.1.4 going later this month.

A

APORTO

Audioholic Intern
All, thank you for taking the time to walk me through this.

SnakeEyes: Speed test is 35MPS. I am running 5.2 for now as well, planning on 5.2.4 in 2019. My concern is my Yamaha 2080 is improperly decoding the atmos signal into 5.2 and I am losing the sub portion of the signal or something else is not right with my settings. If you get good results from that intro scene, I will keep investigating. If you also have poor results, I will attribute it to poor recording and consider my system working properly. Thank you so much, Andrew.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis