Help with setup in small gymnasium

I

i_luv_pitza

Enthusiast
Hey everyone,

I just found this forum, skimmed through it a bit and I see there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here. I am hoping some of you could advise and guide me in the right direction. I am a graphics designer by trade but do some computer work/installs on the side. I don't have ANY background in sound tech but I am always eager to learn. I am helping setup all the AV/networking equipment for a friend who is currently building a new house. This friend is trying to save as much money as he can so asked me for help even though he knows of my skill level.

Anyways, he has a small gymnasium in his house for which he is looking for a good sound system. His goal is to play music while playing basketball/other sports and also hold small events/parties where he would have a stage and mic setup. So the sound system must have good quality for vocals. The gym's LxWxH is 40'x30'x23'. The floor will be hardwood and there will be a 6ft high 2in thick foam padding around the bottom perimeter. I know I need to hang a lot of acoustic panels in the gym. Using one of the online calculators, it said I would need between 50-70 2'x4' acoustic panels. I would hang these along the top half of the GYM and can hang some flat against the metal ceiling too if that would help with the acoustics. The ceiling would be spray foamed and then painted black. Its a metal ceiling with poured concrete on top for a terrace. This is an ICF construction so all 4 walls have a 2" styrofoam layer, a 6" concrete layer and then another 2" styrofoam layer. There will be a large 10' ceiling fan in the center. Since the windows are non-laminated double pane glass, we are looking into the indow solution for soundproofing.

I need help with picking a sound system and recommendation on where to place the speakers/sub(s). The AV equipment will have to go in the server room which is about 25 feet away in the basement. Again, the sound system will primarily be used for background music as well as speeches during gatherings and events in the gym. The budget for this sound system is $4000-4500 (not including acoustic panels)

The client really wants Bose loudspeakers and thinks they are the best out there. After researching a bit, people really dont have too many good things to say about Bose other than how they are only good at marketing and not speakers. I was hoping you guys could suggest a complete system that you think would work best for this install. I was in touch with proacousticsusa.com who suggested two systems that they say would work:

Option A:
(4) Bose RoomMatch Utility RMU206 Dual 6.5" Small-Format Under-Balcony Fill Loudspeakers
(1) Bose PowerShare PS602 Adaptable Power Amplifier
(1) Samson Concert 288 Handheld Dual-Channel Wireless System
(1) Rolls RM67 Mic/Source Mixer
(1) Octasound RABX2 Bluetooth Enabled Mixer

Option B:
(2) Bose Panaray 402 Series IV Loudspeaker
(1) Bose Panaray MB4 Modular Bass Loudspeaker
(1) QSC GX5 Power Amplifier
(1) Bose ControlSpace SP-24 Sound Processor
(1) ART PS8-II Professional Power Sequencer
(1) Samson Concert 288 Handheld Dual-Channel Wireless System
(1) Rolls RM67 Mic/Source Mixer
(1) Octasound RABX2 Bluetooth Enabled Mixer

Here is what the gym looks like right now:

Thank you in advance for all the help!

Cheers!
-Uno

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Either system should work fine.

The stuff you’ve heard about Bose mainly refers to their home audio equipment. Their pro gear has a better reputation, although a bit pricey (as is standard with Bose). You could get results as good or probably even better with something like EV’s ZX line of speakers, or QSC.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-is-important-to-you-in-a-pa-speaker.5905/#post-132155

The only recommendations I have would be to replace the Samson mic with something from Shure or Sennheiser. Even their bottom-of-the-line offerings will probably cost three times as much, but cheap wireless mics usually end up being a disappointment. Even if they don’t have issues with noise or drop-outs, they often have what I call “handling noise,” or noise generated by simply handling them. Hard to explain without experiencing it.

Also, of this is going to also be an event venue, make sure two of the speakers are located at what will be the front of the room (think church or other auditorium). And make sure the other speakers can be turned off during such events. Nothing more irritating when listening to a speech and hearing the voice coming from behind you.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I

i_luv_pitza

Enthusiast
Thanks for the info, Wayne. Are ceiling mounted speakers (projecting straight down) ok for speech/music?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Not really. Go to your nearest supermarket and notice how much different the background music speakers sound when you’re standing directly under them vs. when you move 10-15 ft. away.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I

i_luv_pitza

Enthusiast
Oh yea I see what you're talking about. To stay under budget, do you think I can get away with 3x Bose RoomMatch Utility RMU206 instead of 4 like they suggested?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
That would require a site evaluation to determine the coverage needed. Obviously I can’t do that. Probably best to stick with what the professional company recommended.

As I mentioned, there are cheaper options that are just as good or better, but if Bose is what the client is set on, he should be willing to pay the freight, as it were. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I

i_luv_pitza

Enthusiast
I think I can convince him to try the EVs or QSCs. I am coming across hundreds of different models for both. Is there one of each that you would suggest for the application?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I’d suggest something of comparable physical size to the Bose speakers you were considering. The company you’ve been consulting with can make a recommendation.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis