Help with selecting receiver that matches Polk Audio speakers

S

sudpam

Audiophyte
I need some help in picking a good A/V receiver that matches well with my Polk Audio speakers.

I recently bought the following Polk Audio speakers :
Front Channels : pair of R50 towers
Center Channel : CSi3
Rear Channels : pair of R30 towers
Surround Speakers : pair of R15 bookshelfs
Subwoofer : None(looking for a good deal)

I am interested in a receiver that is good for both movies and music. These are my initial choices(but am open to other suggestions as well) :

1. Pioneer VSX-1014 ~$400
2. Onkyo TX-NR801 ~$700
3. Yamaha RX-V2500 ~$700

I am leaning towards the Pioneer due to the price difference(so that I can buy a graphic equalizer with the difference). But I frankly do not know how Pioneer receivers match with Polk Audio speakers.

I really appreciate the help/advice you guys can provide.

20to20K

Full Audioholic
I would consider Denon or HK

I would say both Denon and HK have better amplifier sections than any of the
brands you mentioned. Have better reputation...and personally, IMO, look better. I have a Denon 3805 which is higher priced than those models you mentioned but you can get a 2105 or 2805 for the $400-$700 range you are seeking. I'm less familiar with the HK model numbers but check out their website and I'm sure they'll steer you in the right direction.

If you're going strictly for home theater I'd say Yamaha...they're known for their innovative DSP modes, THX certifications, and what not. I think the Denon/HK will give you a better soundstage, dynamic headroom, and cleaner
sound. I've got nothing against Pioneer or Onkyo...I just think they're a
notch below Denon and HK.

That's one opinion...I'm sure we'll hear different ones...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis