Help with Projector Selection

M

Makai19

Enthusiast
I have another thread going on speaker selection and I think I'm set.

The space is 138" wide and plenty deep (opens up to the rest of the basement). I will have good light control and will have 120 Silver Ticket white fixed frame screen with 1.1 gain.

I would LOVE to keep the projector at $1,000 but will go up if absolutely necessary. Family movie night watching DVDs BluRay, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Cable TV (some sports).

In the $1,000 range I have seen BenQ 2050 Epson 2150 - although I did read an article that says ceiling mount maybe problematic on the Epson due to adjustability.

From there, we move up to the $1,500 range BenQ3550 Epson 3800 or maybe even the 4010. Is there "THAT" much of an improved picture or features to spend the extra $$ on?

Thanks in advance!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Check with Andrew, ADTG @AcuDefTechGuy, shoot him a message 'inbox"he his a JVC I believe? plus he is a dealer I would bet he can beat just about any online price.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The 2050 vs. the 3550 is significant in that the 2050 will have a bit better contrast, but it isn't a 4K/HDR capable unit. This is a tradeoff of price and is very much personal preference. If your goal is to show 4K content on screen, then the 3550 can do that, while the 2050 can't. From reports, I've heard that the 3550 is a decent looking unit for entry level 4K. If you want to go the 4K route, it's not a bad decision, and someone who bought the 3200 from Epson and the BenQ, returned the Epson as the BenQ just looked a bit better.

That said, these are all entry level models and won't deliver the black level quality that you get from the Epson 5050 or a JVC LCoS projector like the RS540. Still, you will be paying twice the price to get into that class of projector.

Did you already buy the screen? Is that the appropriate size for your viewing distance and space? Is the room properly painted dark on the walls and ceiling with dark carpet?

M

Makai19

Enthusiast
I bought a silver ticket 120” screen. It’s the biggest I can go and still leave room for Prime Towers on either side of the screen. Right now I am in studs. Drywall is going up in about a month. I have virtually limitless opportunities on where the projector will hang.
I have ordered the Epson 3200 for $1199.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If it hasn't been said...

RUN CONDUIT!

Or leave a pathway open which allows you to change out your HDMI/Video cabling in the future to the projector.

The 3200 is a nice model, but it apparently won't have quite the image quality that the 3550 can deliver. Contrast especially.

M

Makai19

Enthusiast
If it hasn't been said...

RUN CONDUIT!

Or leave a pathway open which allows you to change out your HDMI/Video cabling in the future to the projector.

The 3200 is a nice model, but it apparently won't have quite the image quality that the 3550 can deliver. Contrast especially.
Great tip on the conduit. Thanks! I plan on running 1 HDMI cable from the AVR to the projector. Is there a need for anything other than that?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Great tip on the conduit. Thanks! I plan on running 1 HDMI cable from the AVR to the projector. Is there a need for anything other than that?
You really don't need anything more than a HDMI cable from point to point. These days, running that one HDMI cable inside of a 1.25" or larger conduit makes a lot of sense. I recommend the orange resigard conduit from Carlon. Keep all bends as wide as possible to allow for an easier pull of the cabling. I would put a pull string inside of it or a spare piece of cable, like cat-5e. It's not really a bad idea to run a network connection to the projector even though most projectors don't need it yet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis