Help with HT set up

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
A few quick questions:

1) How low should I have my surround sound speakers? Ear height? Higher?

2) Should my surround sound speakers be angled down towards the listeners?

3) How far from the wall should my surround sound speakers sit for optimal performance?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

}Fear_Inoculum{
Probably a foot overhead behind and to sides of you . Tweeters facing you if possible!!

What speakers you using ? Wish I had a dedicated theater room nice stuck in parents house .
Oh paradigms that sub Costs a Lot of money I’d had gotten the 15” if I spend that much . Hope you get enough bass .
Hsu is way better value or multiple speed woofers , the paradigms cost twice there actual value if they weren’t that name brand . They actually have good performance so not a bad choice!!! Lot better then some smaller compact subs .15” is like twice the cone area I think

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
E7016B00-CCB4-4AC4-B51F-D6233E2A5DB2.jpeg
This beauty is finally home. And she shakes the house.
Cool there are too many good sub brands to choose from , guess you supported local companies good for them .
Didn’t know 12 “ were so powerful I’d had got two of them instead of a 15” that’s too large to use downstairs... not used it in a year ...
shoulda built a 3 cubic foot box fail...
Defiance are one of best name brand subs , that aren’t online only .
Diy is ugly haha it got scratched to hell my parents made me move it to a friends house for no reason other then they hated it ... I’m lucky he didn’t steal it...
I got a few pics before finish was ruined too ..
967AC00B-2CE8-450C-A9AB-7BEDC3663563.jpeg

honestly I’d rather bring it downstairs but my 10” subs seem plenty of output , I preferred the sealed 15” tho . Clearer bass.
Clear coat was a bad idea spilled all over carpet ruined it and some got on driver which doesn’t effect sound but makes it uglier .

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Paradigm X12 v.2

Just got #2 home today. My God. I never knew how good it would sound with dual subwoofers. Its amazing. Like an awesome punch to the chest. Testing it with Avengers: Age of Ultron. I'm in love.
20210422_111518.jpg

Last edited:
}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Also, I went and bought some KEF Q150 (4) for my side/rear surround speakers. They were on sale, and just too good a deal to pass up, especially based on the research/reviews I'd read about them.

20210328_112149.jpg
20210328_154618.jpg

They sound really good. And look great IMO. Next upgrade is the L/C/R.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Also, I went and bought some KEF Q150 (4) for my side/rear surround speakers. They were on sale, and just too good a deal to pass up, especially based on the research/reviews I'd read about them.

View attachment 46967View attachment 46968

They sound really good. And look great IMO. Next upgrade is the L/C/R.
What did they cost I heard lowest sale was $300 pair ! Nice
Are two 12” enough? The 15” defiance is better value but really heavy ahhh ... 12 lot lighter

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
What did they cost I heard lowest sale was $300 pair ! Nice
Are two 12” enough? The 15” defiance is better value but really heavy ahhh ... 12 lot lighter
Two 12" are definitely enough for my room. 15" would be way too big.

I got all 4 of the KEF Q150 for 840$ Canadian, taxes in. That's about 674$ US.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Paradigm X12 v.2

Just got #2 home today. My God. I never knew how good it would sound with dual subwoofers. Its amazing. Like an awesome punch to the chest. Testing it with Avengers: Age of Ultron. I'm in love.
Are you in Ontario? That was a good price on the Defiance X12. I am leaning towards the SVS SB-2000 Pro since the retail is considerably less, but the X12 is rated very well and I'm currently running Paradigm Studio 20 v5 and CC-590 across the front.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Are you in Ontario? That was a good price on the Defiance X12. I am leaning towards the SVS SB-2000 Pro since the retail is considerably less, but the X12 is rated very well and I'm currently running Paradigm Studio 20 v5 and CC-590 across the front.
Victoria BC, though I grew up in Mississauga Ontario.

And I seriously considered the PB-2000 Pro (along with the Monolith THX 12"). My final deciding factors were Canadian made, and a local dealer with personal customer service.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Victoria BC, though I grew up in Mississauga Ontario.

And I seriously considered the PB-2000 Pro (along with the Monolith THX 12"). My final deciding factors were Canadian made, and a local dealer with personal customer service.
I'm in London. If I could get a deal on an X12 I would certainly consider it. The built in ARC is a great feature. After the sub I'm hoping to audition the new Founders. Can't quite afford the 100F but considering the 80F.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis