Help: Speaker Distance

DarkDream

DarkDream

Audiophyte
Through a warranty, I am upgrading to a 4K tv.
However, on a 55 4K, my seating is about 5 FEET.

I have floorstanding DUAL 8s for MAINS.

Is 5 feet to close to the CENTER and MAINS?

Will my 7.1 system suffer?

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice, TY.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
5 feet does seem a bit close for both the tv and the speakers, why so close? How far apart are the left and right speakers? They should form an equilateral triangle with your seat generally.

DarkDream

DarkDream

Audiophyte
Well from what om reading, 5 feet is about optimal for a 55in 4K.

I could do 6 feet but i still think it will be too close. I feel it will take away from "spaciousness".

Exactly what you said also, equilateral triangle.

Do you think I should upgrade to a 65 in to help out with my surround sound?

Audiosaur

Audiosaur

Audioholic

I could do 6 feet but i still think it will be too close. I feel it will take away from "spaciousness".

Why not sit 2 feet away? Heck, you could sit on your sofa with the TV on your lap. Then you'd make sure to get full benefit from 4k.

I don't mean to make light of your situation (too much). I'm just trying to point out the absurdity of striving for that perfect picture. Yes, 4k is great but don't let it rule you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think you should sit further back. What do you mean 5 ft is "optimal"....optimal for what?

DarkDream

DarkDream

Audiophyte
Lol audiosaur! I hear ya. Tv in lap! LOL.

I can always just move seat closer to get full value of 4k gaming when needed. Not much true 4k content out anyway. I probably shouldn't rearrange my home theater too much.

Im just an audio guy. Love my surround sound, but was wanting to get full viewing of 4k.

Thanks for the help. I think too much sometimes.

DarkDream

DarkDream

Audiophyte
I think you should sit further back. What do you mean 5 ft is "optimal"....optimal for what?
Im only going by 55in 4k being 5-6 feet "optimal". Supposedly that is.

I'm only getting a 4K because of a warranty that covered my 1080.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are you a gamer or is this a small room or ? I still don't get optimal...for what? Doubtful it's for anything audio :)

DarkDream

DarkDream

Audiophyte
Are you a gamer or is this a small room or ? I still don't get optimal...for what? Doubtful it's for anything audio :)
To get the full value of 4K supposedly you have to sit that close for a 55 inch TV. 7-8 feet might as well have a 1080 picture.

But i feel that's going to throw my surround sound way off. I feel sitting 5 feet away from Dual 8 inch tower speakers would destroy my surround experience.

Or, would adjusting levels through receiver compensate?

The only reason for this post was to see if my assumptions are correct. Hopefully someone with more knowledge could give me a definitive answer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ah, that distance, where you can tell the difference pixelwise or not sort of thing with 4k. Not the only reason to have a 4k set from what I've read (still happy with my 1080 thanks), and I sure as heck am not going to sit as close as 5 or 6 feet just so I can get max pixel advantages :) Yes, sitting that close isn't good for good audio, at least not what I want out of my audio visual experience....whether that's definitive for you I don't know, but it is for me :).

Where are your surrounds? Did you rerun/reset calibration of the speakers with the avr for that distance?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Honestly, you’re likely to get more benefit from 4K sitting closer. As far as the distance from the speakers, so long as the proper placement angles are followed (22-30 degrees for the l/r, center at 0 degrees, surrounds at 90-110 degrees etc) and proper time alignment via distance adjustment in the avr is followed it should make no difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkDream

DarkDream

Audiophyte
Honestly, you’re likely to get more benefit from 4K sitting closer. As far as the distance from the speakers, so long as the proper placement angles are followed (22-30 degrees for the l/r, center at 0 degrees, surrounds at 90-110 degrees etc) and proper time alignment via distance adjustment in the avr is followed it should make no difference.

Ah ok. Thanks for your input. I really don't want to spend the extra money to upgrade from 55 inch to 65 inch just so I can have more room for surround sound to work.

So as long as THX recommended angles and placements are followed and calibrated spl levels, shouldn't make much difference. Gotcha

Probably a waste of floor standing speakers but at least I have them for two channel listening ;)

Thanks once again.

DarkDream

DarkDream

Audiophyte
Ah, that distance, where you can tell the difference pixelwise or not sort of thing with 4k. Not the only reason to have a 4k set from what I've read (still happy with my 1080 thanks), and I sure as heck am not going to sit as close as 5 or 6 feet just so I can get max pixel advantages :) Yes, sitting that close isn't good for good audio, at least not what I want out of my audio visual experience....whether that's definitive for you I don't know, but it is for me :).

Where are your surrounds? Did you rerun/reset calibration of the speakers with the avr for that distance?
I have not replaced the TV yet. That's why I am wondering and doing research if I would need to upgrade to a bigger tv.

But I think I might be overthinking this.

I think closer will be fine as long as it is calibrated for the distance. Probably a waste of floor standing speakers but I do DJ and listen to music. So they will get use out of them.

Thanks for the input. These forums are helpful.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Ah ok. Thanks for your input. I really don't want to spend the extra money to upgrade from 55 inch to 65 inch just so I can have more room for surround sound to work.

So as long as THX recommended angles and placements are followed and calibrated spl levels, shouldn't make much difference. Gotcha

Probably a waste of floor standing speakers but at least I have them for two channel listening ;)

Thanks once again.
No such thing as too much speaker!

If you really want “perfect” sound, I’d try to place all of your speakers in a circular fashion at exactly 6’, or whatever the distance to the center channel is. Should be easier to do since you’re closer to them, most people are limited by the side wall distance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have not replaced the TV yet. That's why I am wondering and doing research if I would need to upgrade to a bigger tv.

But I think I might be overthinking this.

I think closer will be fine as long as it is calibrated for the distance. Probably a waste of floor standing speakers but I do DJ and listen to music. So they will get use out of them.

Thanks for the input. These forums are helpful.
YMMV.

If given the choice between a 55 vs 65, I'd probably go for the larger set as long as the pq was as good; ideally if I had the right room I'd rather have a projector. Until my plasma dies not even tempted by 4k.

My main room is setup more for both audio and video, primarily audio. I don't like sitting that close to a tv generally and would need to rearrange my room just for the tv to sit that close, which just isn't going to happen.

Good luck!

DarkDream

DarkDream

Audiophyte
No such thing as too much speaker!

If you really want “perfect” sound, I’d try to place all of your speakers in a circular fashion at exactly 6’, or whatever the distance to the center channel is. Should be easier to do since you’re closer to them, most people are limited by the side wall distance.

Ah ok, gotcha. I did figure it might help with reflection but maybe not enough distance for the sound waves to develope.

After listening to ya, I'm definitely going to try it. I just wanted to get professional opinions before i finalize exchange and spend hours rearranging my speakers.

I don't want to pump more money in my tv YET. I want an OLED but waiting a few years for them to come down.

Thanks for your input.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
5 feet is likely too close for a tower with dual 8"s. What is the speaker model you are using?

It might be worth stepping down to some bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer or two.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Daydream, I'm in similar boat where I have a 65" 4K TV but I'm sitting at distance (between 9 to 10 ft away from the display ) that make its look like a 1080P. If audio is more important to you than video (like it is for me) then optimize your layout for audio over video. :) M

Here are some pics of my main setup in the town house so space is tight..

Attachments

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief

With 4k resolution you can sit closer and still have a clear image, doesnt mean you should. (All upselling marketing on that). What it does allow is the use of a larger display in a smaller area (confusing I know) with a typical viewing distance, 720p and 1080p on a 50" or smaller display will look the same. What size tv you need should always be looked at first, then decide on what resolution will best suit your needs. 4k does offer more benefits than just resolution, color reproduction off of black levels is probably the greatest.
I sit about 12' from my 65" 4k and i don't feel that I'm missing out on 4k resolution because I was more interested in the tv for more natural colors.
I would def reccomend moving back to get better sound dispersion, if the tv is too small at that distance, then you would have to go larger to get the best of both worlds.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis