Help, so frusssstrated!

C

cotawa

Audiophyte
Hi everyone,
so frustrated, glad I found this site, and HOPEFULLY someone can give us a hand. My boyfriend bought a Marantz SR870 audio/video and Marantz CD5000 dvd changer with a Polk audio PSW100 subwoofer. Problem is the instruction manual is incredibly difficult to understand, unless your wanting to learn how to use the remote...DETAILED info on that. anyway, we want to have the surround sound...the center speaker is extremely strong, and can't seem to adjust it, also....not sure if sub is connected proper. actually, not sure if any is...LOL
Can someone please help us??PPPlease
thanks ever so much! feel free to email me, or I'll check back here.
til then
cotawa ;)

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
Do you have a setup disc? Or even a DVD with the THX optimizer like Monsters Inc? These discs will identify and play each speaker one at a time to help make sure they're hooked up right, and that the phase is correct.

That would be step one.

Let me know how everything pans out and we'll move to step 2 if needed.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
cotawa said:
Hi everyone,
so frustrated, glad I found this site, and HOPEFULLY someone can give us a hand. My boyfriend bought a Marantz SR870 audio/video and Marantz CD5000 dvd changer with a Polk audio PSW100 subwoofer. Problem is the instruction manual is incredibly difficult to understand, unless your wanting to learn how to use the remote...DETAILED info on that. anyway, we want to have the surround sound...the center speaker is extremely strong, and can't seem to adjust it, also....not sure if sub is connected proper. actually, not sure if any is...LOL
til then
cotawa ;)

AzB made a start but it may be greek to you, from reading your post.

Please try to read the instruction manual, fron to back, no skipping ;) as it will make more sense when you come to speaker setup. You will also need an SPL meter from Radio Shack, their analog model with a meter and needle, not digital readouts.
The setup will level match all your speakers, identify that you indeed have your sub hooked up correctly, etc.

Since you asked the question, maybe you need to invest in the setup disk 'Video Essentials, Optimizing Your Audio/Video System.' It has a pretty good step by step on hooking it up. Certainly not totally detailed but it will help a lot. But you do need to read the manual for the receiver. Take your time. Maybe a friend may know something and help you out?

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
cotawa said:
Hi everyone,
til then
cotawa ;)
I think you will find everything in the manual when you read about how to use the remote.

In my system, not the same as yours, the remote has up/down buttons for the center speaker, the back speakers, and the subwoofer. It allows you to change their levels with respect to the front side speakers.

Also, I've been bitten by the format type, there are major differences between dolby, surround, etc..and that is all acessible by the remote.

Good luck hope my experience is of help.

Oh...btw...my system has zero dB as full volume, and lower volume is shown as negative numbers..at 6:00 AM, my 9 and 11 yr old went to turn the stuff on, and thought zero was lowest..woke me up rather fast..

Cheers, John

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
When I was a kid in need of speech therapy, I call all the paper sent with model kits destructions, mostly because I did not know better. Now that I are an enginenerd my opinion has not changed.

Then there is the old axiom; "If all else fails, read the instructions."

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis