Help searching through old threads - guitar CD

P

philh

Full Audioholic
I remember a thread about a must own live guitar CD. I searched and searched and even read through the 17 page guitar thread. Can anybody please help me find the name of the CD I need to own.

Thank you

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
You must own DiMeola/McLaughlin/DeLucia One Night in San Francisco.:)

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I think it's called 'Friday Night in San Francisco'

If you do find what your looking for, please post it here.
Always up for some good guitar work.:)

bobnegi

bobnegi

Audioholic Intern
Friday Night in..

I owned two copies on vinyl, listened to them so much they both wore out. Bought the Cd, cause I was brainwashed into getting rid of vinyl back in early 90's

If you have a turntable get the vinyl, it sound much much better

adam71

adam71

Junior Audioholic
I owned two copies on vinyl, listened to them so much they both wore out. Bought the Cd, cause I was brainwashed into getting rid of vinyl back in early 90's

If you have a turntable get the vinyl, it sound much much better
Don't they always.:cool:

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
That's not the one I'm thinking of, but will check that one out too.

Thank you!
Can you be more specific? What kind of music? Instrumental? Have any clue as to year when recorded?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
You are right. Not sure why my brain substituted "one" for "Friday".:confused:
Another great recent guitar CD is Rodriguo Y Gabriella (sp?)
Thanks, any other recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Any good Guitar or Sax.
Rick

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
They don't?? Are you a digifile Joe??
Of all the various upgrades to my stereo over the years, the one that gave the greatest improvement was getting rid of my vinyl LPs and replacing them with CDs. I did this immediately after hearing a CD for the first time, back in the '80s, and will never look back.:)

adam71

adam71

Junior Audioholic
Of all the various upgrades to my stereo over the years, the one that gave the greatest improvement was getting rid of my vinyl LPs and replacing them with CDs. I did this immediately after hearing a CD for the first time, back in the '80s, and will never look back.:)
Well, I was 12 years old when CDs first launched back in 1983. I messed around with mostly casettes as they were the only "mobile" format of the time other than 8 track. So I guess I never got the chance to hear any vinyl on decent to high end vinyl setup. So obviously when CDs became the mainstream format I jumped aboard. I mean they're still the highest quality format for the road, no one can really dispute that. I have a Pioneer P9 combo in my car. But about 4 or 5 years ago I met who is now one of my very best friends and he was into vinyl. He played some for me and before I knew it I had my own turntable in my home system because I'm blown away by the sound of vinyl. It has more resolution and detail than CD could dream of having. Of course, you have the maintenance and the cleaning and pops and ticks that come with it. But all in all it is TOTALLY worth it to me. I love to open up a bottle of good beer and sit back in the sweet spot listen to one vinyl after another.

Of course, I still love CD especially played through my Meridian D/A converter. Not to mention DVD-Audio and SACD. I have a small library of those too. But pound for pound vinyl kills them all.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
It has more resolution and detail than CD could dream of having.
Since that is flat-out not true, you have apparently bought into the poular urban legend about "vinyl sounds better" that has been circulating lately. Has it occured to you that maybe everything else about your freind's system was enough better that it compensated for vinyl's fundamental deficiencies?

adam71

adam71

Junior Audioholic
Since that is flat-out not true, you have apparently bought into the poular urban legend about "vinyl sounds better" that has been circulating lately.
Ok, first of all I wasn't trying to turn this into a digital vs analog battle. If I have I'm sorry. The statement you quoted was my "opinion" and nothing more. Sorry if it came out that way. I guess I should have used the actual words "in my opinion" in my post. But for you to say that is "urban legend" is just YOUR opinion and nothing more. You obviously were around in the 80s as your post said. You remember when CDs came out then. You also remember when your favorite albums of the past were being re released in the new optical format. Well, I have one in front of me right now and I'd like to quote one of the liner notes.

"This music on this Compact Digital Disc ws originally recorded on analog equipment. We have attempted to preserve, as closely as possible, the sound of the original recording. Because of it's high resolution, however, the Compact Disc can reveal limitations of the source tape."

Now, for the music released after that is a different story. Also, not all recordings made for vinyl were perfect either so let me stress that vinyl is still succeptable to a bad recording engineer's incompetence. Especially when you look at how so many CDs released today suffer from dynamic range compression. Thats not to say a vinyl can be released that way too. All in all it comes down to personal taste.

Has it occured to you that maybe everything else about your freind's system was enough better that it compensated for vinyl's fundamental deficiencies?
NO it did not occur to me. But the fact that I have a turntable in my own system and can compare vinyl with CD makes your argument null and void. As I said before my digital front end is NO slouch and my vinyl STILL sounds better.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Let's just say for sake of discussion, CD and Vinyl are equal in reproducing sound.
This equality starts to give way even after the 1st play on any
turntable, no matter how well balanced & built.
After all, vinyl is relatively soft, compared to the diamond stylus. No mater how well implemented the turntable, stylus weight & tracking balance are set, the centrifugal force from the stylus which can get “substantial” towards the end of play, and will wear
out the outer groove or right channel more than the other.
The addition of surface noise from dust, mold, all exacerbate the problem.

This is not to say all CD's sound great; they don't.
Many CD's are poorly engineered.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
I have recently begun to get back into my old vinyl (including some of my previously unopened LPs from the 70s), and a few clicks and pops aside I think it sounds pretty darn good. However the older I get the harder it is for me to pick out the finer details in the music, no matter the format. That aside, I think a well recorded cd sounds very close to a well recorded LP. Problem is a push by the music business of late to release less than ideal sounding cds, probably since a large portion of music will just end up compressed and on ipods anyway. The following are some thoughts and observations by Steve Hoffman, one of the most respected audio engineers in the business, on what format sounds closest to the original master tapes.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=133328

Also in keeping more in line with the original post - and yes, I'm recommending this cd once again - Godfrey Townsend's "Easy Journey to Other Planets." It's a cd of all guitar-heavy instrumentals in the mold of some of the guitar greats of the 70's.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/townsendgodfrey

adam71

adam71

Junior Audioholic
Let's just say for sake of discussion, CD and Vinyl are equal in reproducing sound.
This equality starts to give way even after the 1st play on any
turntable, no matter how well balanced & built.
After all, vinyl is relatively soft, compared to the diamond stylus. No mater how well implemented the turntable, stylus weight & tracking balance are set, the centrifugal force from the stylus which can get “substantial” towards the end of play, and will wear
out the outer groove or right channel more than the other.
The addition of surface noise from dust, mold, all exacerbate the problem.

This is not to say all CD's sound great; they don't.
Many CD's are poorly engineered.
But they're NOT equal, therefore the discrepancy. I personally would NOT take the time to clean vinyls and clean the stylus and bother with all the maintenance that goes with it if I thought they sounded equal. In my humble opinion vinyls ARE SUPERIOR !!!

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
"This music on this Compact Digital Disc ws originally recorded on analog equipment. We have attempted to preserve, as closely as possible, the sound of the original recording. Because of it's high resolution, however, the Compact Disc can reveal limitations of the source tape."
Exactly. The high resolution of the CD can reveal limitations of the source tape that vinyl, with its substantially lower resolution, cannot. Surely you did not misinterpret that disclaimer as suggesting that CD is not fundamentally better in every way!:eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis