Help repairing a tape recorder, please.

S

Saxdragon

Audiophyte
Hi. I got an old Realistic 909B Reel-to-Reel Stereo Tape Recorder off of eBay. The seller described it as working perfectly, but when it arrived, the left channel emitted a howling sound. It seemed to be overloading somehow. I disconnected the speakers and used headphones only, it still did it. I ran a line out to another amp and it still did it, whether in playback or record.

I opened up the case and took a look inside, tapping on things with a wooden chopstick and probing for bad connections. Nothing happened until I pushed down on one of the transformers and the howling stopped. So I assumed the first thing to try would be to replace that transformer. Only I don't know how to rate a transformer, or test it to find a rating. What should i do?

Thanks,
Steve

T

tjohnusa

Enthusiast
Chances are good it's not the transformer....it is more than likely a bad solder joint on a cap. It may also be the play/record switch...that will be a skinney metal thing about 3" long that has a rod connected to it. It wouldnet hurt to spray contact cleaner in it and work the switch back and forth with your hand in a fast manner

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis