AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
get Yamaha to tell you that the MX5000 is "truly stable down to 2-ohm loads"
Good luck getting any company to go on the record and advertise that their amps are truly stable down to 2-ohm loads.

Only way is to get someone like Gene to measure. I think he said he was going to measure the new MX-A5200 amp, which is like the MX-A5000.

But I don't know if Gene will measure 2Ch continuous 2-ohm loads. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Actually we more or less have an answer.
Since the Outlaw and Yamaha are so close, it is fair to expect them to perform similarly with these speakers.
Gene did use the Outlaw to power his 8T's it wasn't a perfect experience, but nor was it a total wasted effort!

I picked up a copy of a Japanese drum track from a fellow Audioholic who told me years ago Mark Levinson claimed he could count on one hand how many “full range” speakers were capable of reproducing it and still have fingers left. I’m happy to report that the Status 8T speakers are among them. This is a 10 minute torture track for bass drivers and amplifiers attempting to reproduce it with lifelike dynamics. I was very concerned about using the Model 5000 for this test given its modest power output compared to my 2kwatt Emotiva XPR-1 Monoblocks. Still, I pressed on as I wanted to test the limits of this amplifier. If I were to blow a fuse or a transistor, then so be it. It’s all in the name of science. The sound of massive Taiko drums if played back on a capable system will rattle your core. From the first moment of listening, I knew the Model 5000 would not disappoint. The depth and weight of the drums was epic. As I cranked up the volume, the Model 5000 happily obliged me. It wasn’t until I saw the lights in my room dimming on each drum strike that I realized I accidentally plugged the Model 5000 into a shared outlet. I paused the recording and connected the amp to my dedicated 120V/20 amp line to remedy that problem.

I continued on with excitement and amazement that this sub $600 five-channel amp was able to muster so much raw power with such excellent composure. Towards the end of the track there is a sort of drum finale which reminded me of the live performances at the Disney Epcot Japanese village. Overall the sound was well composed but perhaps not quite as punchy as I recalled. It was only when I switched over to my much more powerful reference amps that I noticed a difference in low end dynamics and body of sound. Considering the Model 5000 rated power is literally 1/10th of my reference amps, this was no surprise to me. I was more surprised at how incredibly composed the Model 5000 remained even when driven to ungodly levels by a very difficult speaker load in a very large room. This speaks volumes (no pun intended) for just how good of an amp Outlaw has on their hands.
I'm pretty sure, but not certain that this was two 8T's in stereo.

Last edited:
C

cgarlock

Junior Audioholic
So I've been looking at all the options on preamps, amps, projectors, and all of the suggestions made by everyone. What I'm having a hard time with now is deciding to make the jump to an all 4K UHD platform or just stick with normal HD? I'm liking the Yamaha 5100 a lot but it is somewhat older now. I still have my Rotel RSP-1572 and two of my three existing amps still work( anyones guess on longevity) so I could reboot the older system. Would it be worth waiting for a while and see what Yamaha, Anthem and others bring out? I currently don't even own a 4K UHD disc.

I had to laugh when finalizing with the insurance company as they offered to replace my smoked Emotiva XMC-1 with the all new XMC-2! When I told them it's not even released everything went silent and they just said well in the end it's up to you but that's what we've sourced for you.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm liking the Yamaha 5100 a lot but it is somewhat older now.
The CX-A5100 (measured, reviewed, and owned by Gene and considered by him to be SOTA = state of the art) has every feature I need for now - 4K, Atmos, and DTSX.

I also own the A5100. The A5200 doesn’t really offer anything more.

When the CX-A5300 comes out with 8K Video, I will be upgrading. But until that happens, the A5100 has every feature I need - 4K Video and Atmos/DTSX.

Last edited:
C

cgarlock

Junior Audioholic
Yeah I think I'm on the hunt now for the Yamaha. I'll wait for the 4k projector for a while, maybe see what the holiday sales bring because the JVC is what I would get.

C

cgarlock

Junior Audioholic
Another question even though it's off topic for this section is dual subs. IF, and that's an if my SVSound PB13Ultra still works but I wanted to go dual subs, do I have to get something equally as large and powerful?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Another question even though it's off topic for this section is dual subs. IF, and that's an if my SVSound PB13Ultra still works but I wanted to go dual subs, do I have to get something equally as large and powerful?
Yes, that's usually recommended if you go dual. If you get a smaller sub it can be very difficult to get a balanced sound and you end up "dialing back" the bigger one to match the smaller one.

C

cgarlock

Junior Audioholic
That's what I was thinking so I'll go from there. Thanks for the input.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Those are the marketing specs that RBH provides, but Gene (who measured the speakers in the link below had this to say:

https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/titus-8t-review/titus-8t-measurements

That seems a far cry from "50W is all you need".
He may be right for someone who is happy with 75-80 dB average 100 dB peak sitting less than 8 feet from those big speakers, but that's a highly unlikely scenario for the obvious reasons. So I have to agree with you on this, that is seems a far cry..:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Now k
He may be right for someone who is happy with 75-80 dB average 100 dB peak sitting less than 8 feet from those big speakers, but that's a highly unlikely scenario for the obvious reasons. So I have to agree with you on this, that is seems a far cry..:D
keep in mind it depends on how you set up the 8T.

If you set the 8T up like I do (top cabinet set to Small, XO 100Hz, let the bottom subs handle all the bass with dedicated amps),then I am 100% confident the MX-A5200’s 150WPC will be more than enough since the sub cabinets require most of the power, not the midrange and tweeter.

For the bottom cabinet, I would use either the RBH 500W sub amp or an ATI amp. :D

C

cgarlock

Junior Audioholic
So after much reading and watching of reviews on all the options you all presented here in this thread, also with some offline help from @AcuDefTechGuy I finally have a new preamp and projector! Thanks to everyone's input, I've really come to love the honesty of this forum. So what did I end up with?

Yamaha CX-A5200 and a JVC NX5.

I LOVE THEM!

So now it's time to start tuning and tinkering but to be completely honest the 5200 out of the box sounds great. As for the JVC, @AcuDefTechGuy started an owners thread in the other subforum. I am so impressed with it. I thought my panasonic had a great picture, but it can't compare. It's not a placebo effect or me trying to justify the money spent. My wife who really just understands the power up sequence and volume control was blown away as well.

I need to get it all put back together and post some pictures.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So after much reading and watching of reviews on all the options you all presented here in this thread, also with some offline help from @AcuDefTechGuy I finally have a new preamp and projector! Thanks to everyone's input, I've really come to love the honesty of this forum. So what did I end up with?

Yamaha CX-A5200 and a JVC NX5.

I LOVE THEM!

So now it's time to start tuning and tinkering but to be completely honest the 5200 out of the box sounds great. As for the JVC, @AcuDefTechGuy started an owners thread in the other subforum. I am so impressed with it. I thought my panasonic had a great picture, but it can't compare. It's not a placebo effect or me trying to justify the money spent. My wife who really just understands the power up sequence and volume control was blown away as well.

I need to get it all put back together and post some pictures.
Next thing you need is a $200 YAMAHA Karaoke mixer from Amazon. :D

Oh, yeah, there's plenty of free HD Karaoke from YouTube. :D

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You have my deepest sympathy for equipment. You've come to the best place to get advice. I look forward to your new stuff in picture form. Congrats.

C

cgarlock

Junior Audioholic
I'm currently back to running 5.1. Two of the three EMO amps appear to be working for now, but the third is not powering up at all. To go down the Atmos path in my room I can have a maximum of 4 in ceiling speakers. I know they don't require a lot of power so now I need to find an amplifier for 4 in ceiling speakers plus the two back surrounds.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm currently back to running 5.1. Two of the three EMO amps appear to be working for now, but the third is not powering up at all. To go down the Atmos path in my room I can have a maximum of 4 in ceiling speakers. I know they don't require a lot of power so now I need to find an amplifier for 4 in ceiling speakers plus the two back surrounds.
You mean 2 of the amps you thought were fried are working now?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If only your insurance would give you money for the Yamaha MX-A5200, which looks so good with your CX-A5200. :D

Last edited:
C

cgarlock

Junior Audioholic
You mean 2 of the amps you thought were fried are working now?
They power up and play. I was told by Emotiva to try them outside in case of fire. I did just that and they played a signal for 24 hours. I haven't pushed them so they may stop or they may be fine. The third two channel amp is definitely toast.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They power up and play. I was told by Emotiva to try them outside in case of fire. I did just that and they played a signal for 24 hours. I haven't pushed them so they may stop or they may be fine. The third two channel amp is definitely toast.
I'll tell you what, you inspired me to call my insurance company on Tuesday to make sure all of my gear is covered. I need to put a list together of all my stuff. I'd be devastated if something happened to my stuff and insurance didn't cover it...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis