Help on $2,000 Speaker Selection

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think the custom cabinet has better finish, a chamfered corner instead of a roundover, and most certainly will have better grilles (probably magnetic).

I think for the 2K they will have the Mag grilles.

The cheap asian one. I bought Phils so randomly specifically because dennis said he only had a few more left. :eek:

Yeah he was talking B-stock cabs and was not sure of that inventory either, that's the reason he told me to remind him of our conversation so as not to be at the end of list, exact words "I am out of those puppies"

A few hundred a pair. You'll have to ask Dennis but I think he said around $25-600. BTW as of today, the Phil 3s have now gone up in price to $3,500.
So 2K does not include the USA cabs? I noticed the price increase on the 3's. Between the 1's and 2's the only difference I noticed is the tweet and a minor Xover difference, do you think the extra $400 for the 2's is justifiable, I think I could be happy with the 1's then again maybe not if I heard the 2's.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
So 2K does not include the USA cabs?
Nope. That's the asian cabinets. They had a nice little ~10 month run, but that's over now.

Between the 1's and 2's the only difference I noticed is the tweet and a minor Xover difference, do you think the extra $400 for the 2's is justifiable,
I've never heard the fountek. It is the tweeter used on a few popular DIY speakers that have a lot of subjective reviews - ER18MTM and Statements. It's no doubt a fine tweeter.

......The RAAL gets a lot of respect though. Here's what a few really talented designers think of them

Dave Fabrikant of Ascend Acoustics

Jeff Bagby, who does designs for Salk Sound (also in that link is Pete Schumacher's thoughts)

Ryan from Vapor Sound

Greg Begland

Is it actually worth it? Probably not.
Is it worth it to keep yourself from forever wondering if it was worth it? ;P

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think Dennis said you could still get the "old" Phil3.0 for $3.0K if you don't want the new Phil3.5 for $3.5K.:D

I'd get the Phil3.0 instead of the Phil3.5 and pocket the $500.

Well, actually I'd just find something else to spend the $500 on. :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm surprised that you haven't already ordered a pair of the 3.5s, if only to compare the cabinets. :D
I think my Phil3.0 cabinet sounds better. :eek:

Seriously, though. I have to save money just like everyone else.........................before wasting it again on some 802D. :eek:

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Philharmonic 2s are still available, just not with the inexpensive chinese cabinets. Price is slightly higher for the Del Won Custom Made-in-USA cabinets. My cousin from U.K. came yesterday to visit us He's into Hi Fi and all that. I demoed him my new speakers and didn't tell him what I paid. I asked him to put a rough price on 'em. He said "You bought these second hand right? Hmm... 5,000 quid?"

I just blankly looked at him and wondered where I would get 5000 pounds.
That's not surprising in the least. It is a Murphy design after all. :)

C

canelli

Audioholic
I found this BDI stand that rotates at the base.

Would placing a nice center channel on top work with that stand?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Great advice and very true about using noise versus noise. The headphones I tried in the past just don’t like the abuse and being repeatedly bathed in sweat. Some claimed to be for sports and water resistant, but I had poor luck with all of them. Also, I find they always seem get uncomfortable after an hour of running. I use these a lot when I am on the computer: bluetooth headphones

I am a left handed engineer - can’t help myself :D

Excellent suggestion on speakers based upon the great reviews. The wife said wall mounting was the best option. ;)
Left-handed engineer? Or Aggie engineer? :D

Quick jab from a UT grad:D

C

canelli

Audioholic
Well, I have narrowed down the options to two. I can go with the articulating stand or ask Salk to build some custom speakers. If I go with Salk, I will see if I can get the speakers designed for on wall mounting (slanted and shorted profile depth).

Also, I am going to check to see if he can do some type of custom finish to match all the maroon.

Quick jab from a UT grad
I am going to miss playing you guys on thanksgiving. My family is split between Aggies and Sips which makes the holidays a lot of fun.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I have narrowed down the options to two. I can go with the articulating stand or ask Salk to build some custom speakers. If I go with Salk, I will see if I can get the speakers designed for on wall mounting (slanted and shorted profile depth).

Also, I am going to check to see if he can do some type of custom finish to match all the maroon.

I am going to miss playing you guys on thanksgiving. My family is split between Aggies and Sips which makes the holidays a lot of fun.
Yeah, it's a shame. Aggies all about long-standing traditions but broke that tradition :(

Out of curiosity, what city are you in? I grew up in E. TX but have been in austin about 15yrs

C

canelli

Audioholic
I grew up in West Texas and have been in the Houston area for the last 15 years.

C

canelli

Audioholic
Looks like I am going to get to audition a few speakers.:D I plan on starting with speakers that are easiest to wall mount.

The first contenders are the Kef Q300 versus the ATC SMC-11. I would prefer to try the SCM-19 but it's a much larger speaker making it harder to mount.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like I am going to get to audition a few speakers.:D I plan on starting with speakers that are easiest to wall mount.

The first contenders are the Kef Q300 versus the ATC SMC-11. I would prefer to try the SCM-19 but it's a much larger speaker making it harder to mount.
Good Luck and have fun

Matt34

Matt34

I know TLS Guy is a fan of ATC speakers. Don't think you can go wrong with those KEFs either.

C

canelli

Audioholic
Already the Kef is heavily favored. I dealt with them directly and had a great experience. Kef emailed me with the tracking number within minutes of our phone conversation. :D

Dealing with ATC has been the complete opposite. The nearest dealer (180+ miles away) overtly implied I am too much trouble since I was looking at their lower priced speakers. :mad: Second, I have tried for a few days to get a response from their US distributor.

In the left corner is Kef providing a UPS tracking number and the right corner is ATC with voice mails and snobbery. I want to audition both and can be pretty stubborn so ATC gets a few more chances. I don’t see wasting a whole lot of time by begging someone to help take my money.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Already the Kef is heavily favored. I dealt with them directly and had a great experience. Kef emailed me with the tracking number within minutes of our phone conversation. :D

Dealing with ATC has been the complete opposite. The nearest dealer (180+ miles away) overtly implied I am too much trouble since I was looking at their lower priced speakers. :mad: Second, I have tried for a few days to get a response from their US distributor.

In the left corner is Kef providing a UPS tracking number and the right corner is ATC with voice mails and snobbery. I want to audition both and can be pretty stubborn so ATC gets a few more chances. I don’t see wasting a whole lot of time by begging someone to help take my money.
I say screw ATC. It's not like we see all kinds of praises of them from any reviews. Have they ever won any awards? Do they have great measurements like KEF Reference, Revel Ultima, Pioneer EX? Do they have resonance-free cabinets like 800D? No to all of the above.

C

canelli

Audioholic
The ATC distributor called and I should have a pair of speakers in a few weeks.

I'll be rocking the Kefs until then. :D

C

canelli

Audioholic
I have had the Q300s for a few days and have enjoyed these speakers. I temporarily mounted them about 9-10 feet wide and 20 inches from the ceiling (10 foot ceiling). Once mounted the highs seemed to open up a lot, but I needed to plug the front firing port because of the base bloom. Overall very nice sound for the money. I miss having a sub with these Kef speakers.:(

The Q300s come with a mounting bracket which I used. It doesn't allow for the speaker to tilt enough so when I sit the sound is pretty far off axis vertically.

I am looking for a better wall mount and open to suggestions. I might try the Pinpoint AM40. I would prefer a little more tilt than the 7 degrees.

Due to being so far off axis vertically, I reviewed Steroephile measurements on the ATC SCM11 and decided against it. It just looks like a bad fit from the start.

I see two easy options moving forward. I can keep the Q300s and use my JL F112 in the game room. This means I spend over the budget to get a much larger sub for the den.:D Second, I can spend more on the wall speakers in the game room such as with Salk and add a smaller SVS sub later.

C

canelli

Audioholic
I was listening to some recording that had pops and some crackling. I noticed the Q300s seemed to completely gloss over these defects. I compared the them to my other speakers and it was a night and day difference.:confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis