Help on $2,000 Speaker Selection

Matt34

Matt34

In-walls or on-walls like what First Reflection suggested for a multi-purpose room with limited space would probably be the most reasonable approach.

Headphones are another good option, but personally I can't stand running with anything other than IEM or ear buds. Big, clunky over the ear phones would be....just that.

C

canelli

Audioholic
Forget trying to "beat noise with more noise". It's not a solution, it's a band-aid. What you need are headphones with good noise isolation for running on the treatmill.
Great advice and very true about using noise versus noise. The headphones I tried in the past just don’t like the abuse and being repeatedly bathed in sweat. Some claimed to be for sports and water resistant, but I had poor luck with all of them. Also, I find they always seem get uncomfortable after an hour of running. I use these a lot when I am on the computer: bluetooth headphones

Don't try to fit a square peg into a round hole.
I am a left handed engineer - can’t help myself :D

Wait, I thought you wanted to wall mount?
If not, you should seriously consider the Philharmonic 2 speakers. They are nothing short of excellent.
Excellent suggestion on speakers based upon the great reviews. The wife said wall mounting was the best option. ;)

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Great advice and very true about using noise versus noise. The headphones I tried in the past just don’t like the abuse and being repeatedly bathed in sweat. Some claimed to be for sports and water resistant, but I had poor luck with all of them. Also, I find they always seem get uncomfortable after an hour of running. I use these a lot when I am on the computer: bluetooth headphones
Still, do try the Denons. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with their comfort level and SQ..

Amazon.com: Denon DNHP1000 Super DJ Headphone: Electronics

And hey, you can always take them off during commercials etc.... Or wear headphones for half an hour, switch to speakers for 10-15 minutes and back to headphones. Things along those lines.

Excellent suggestion on speakers based upon the great reviews. The wife said wall mounting was the best option. ;)
Tell her NO! :D :cool:

Anyways the only caveat with wide dispersion speakers is if your room is very small. In that case I would recommend narrower dispersion patterns.

Last edited:
C

canelli

Audioholic
Hey Can, I think we are getting way off track here, if all you want to do is better your flat panel's sound, spending $2000 is redicuously expensive to do so. Now if you want these mains to be a part of an integrated HT setup down the road I say go for it.
I thought what was needed for the 2 speakers in the game room would be expensive so I dreamed up the plan of a round robin of speaker shuffling. First I would get 2 great speakers for the game room and then slowly add to the collection until I have the complete set of 5 speakers. Then I would sell off the B&W CM9s I have in the den and get some smaller speakers for the game room.:rolleyes:

With all the help and good suggestions, I am now looking at great sounding more affordable options. I spoke with both Salk and Soundfield Audio and they each have ideas on how to customize their speakers to fit my needs. Their suggestions on the required speaker size for the room matches with the bookshelf/wall mount speakers mentioned earlier. I might call and ask about some wall mountable Philharmonic speakers.

“I seem to have lost the original scheme of this post”
So have I..:eek: I have the desire for a great big floor standing tower of audio bliss, but I think that I can get some impressive speakers that better fit my needs and save a lot of cash.

C

canelli

Audioholic
In-walls or on-walls like what First Reflection suggested for a multi-purpose room with limited space would probably be the most reasonable approach.
I agree. I am checking my other options while at work and maybe I can audition some speakers this weekend.

Headphones are another good option, but personally I can't stand running with anything other than IEM or ear buds. Big, clunky over the ear phones would be....just that.
100% agree

C

canelli

Audioholic
Ahblaza -
Reposition your bike to face the center of front wall so you don't have to angle your display and toe in your speakers to the right, and you don't have to deal with placement options.
We have a small couch directly across from the tv. I deliberately didn’t show it in the photos. It’s next to be retired.:D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Their suggestions on the required speaker size for the room matches with the bookshelf/wall mount speakers mentioned earlier. I might call and ask about some wall mountable Philharmonic speakers.
t'was a joke?

Philharmonics are meant to be like 6feet away from the wall. Otherwise they're just "_______" (not philharmonics)

P

pureiso

Junior Audioholic
How do the V-2's compare to the Super Vs? Open baffle speakers always draw my attention.
Danny, the designer, stated the lower end is a little lighter since the woofers are not the same as the Super V. Also, the sensitivity is a little lower at 93 instead of 98 or something along those lines (Philharmonic 2 is measured at 87 for reference due to the fact that the woofer is passive instead of having a seperate amp). (Note, the kit only for the Super V is $2,400+ by itself)

You can look in the thread to find a few of Danny's comments on it, and also another person's opinion in comparison to Orions.

But once again, it may not work in the room. But it is definitely a steal at the price he is asking...

Last edited:
P

pureiso

Junior Audioholic
t'was a joke?

Philharmonics are meant to be like 6feet away from the wall. Otherwise they're just "_______" (not philharmonics)
Actually, it is about 3 feet minimum. But yes, you are quite right that they definitely have some placement requirements to take into consideration.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ahblaza -
We have a small couch directly across from the tv. I deliberately didn’t show it in the photos. It’s next to be retired.:D
It must be a really nice couch:D, Jim Salk and Dave F. at Ascends are some great people and designers along with Dennis Murphy with the Phil's, if they can't come up with something that fits your needs I don't know who can. I know the Ascends ST's come with port plug for a sealed enclosure that can be located close to front wall, along with some wall mount speakers that need about three inches behind the rear port to sound good, check out the Ascend Acoustics site.
Cheers

ahblaza

ahblaza

t'was a joke?

EV, talked to Dennis today and he said he is all out of those puppies (Phil 2's) and will check on what B-stock cabs he might have but not until a week from now, he is involved with CAF Capital Audio Fest this week. I guess those puppies are moving quick:mad:

C

canelli

Audioholic
Revel has the Performa3 series. Anyone have an opinion of the Performa3 106/105 versus the Salk SongSurround/SongCenter and Soundfield monitor?

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
EV, talked to Dennis today and he said he is all out of those puppies (Phil 2's) and will check on what B-stock cabs he might have but not until a week from now, he is involved with CAF Capital Audio Fest this week. I guess those puppies are moving quick:mad:
Bummer. Give Jim a shout then, as Dennis does all the crossover work for his speakers and they have the same typical "sound." Dennis himself will tell you the Phil's sound very similar to the SongTower's with the midrange chambers stuffed. Between Dennis and Jim they'll even build you a custom design to best fit your room and needs.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Bummer. Give Jim a shout then, as Dennis does all the crossover work for his speakers and they have the same typical "sound." Dennis himself will tell you the Phil's sound very similar to the SongTower's with the midrange chambers stuffed. Between Dennis and Jim they'll even build you a custom design to best fit your room and needs.
Philharmonic 2s are still available, just not with the inexpensive chinese cabinets. Price is slightly higher for the Del Won Custom Made-in-USA cabinets. My cousin from U.K. came yesterday to visit us He's into Hi Fi and all that. I demoed him my new speakers and didn't tell him what I paid. I asked him to put a rough price on 'em. He said "You bought these second hand right? Hmm... 5,000 quid?"

I just blankly looked at him and wondered where I would get 5000 pounds.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Hey Brand, Dennis emailed me and said to check back sometime next week and remind him that we talked so I would not have anyone else in front of me, he is not sure what he has as far as cabinet inventory. Thanks for the heads up about custom design for my room and needs, good to know. He was and is very busy with the Capital Audio Fest, I will give him some time to gather his thoughts after the fest and talk to him about specifics, thanks my friend.
jeff

ahblaza

ahblaza

Philharmonic 2s are still available, just not with the inexpensive chinese cabinets. Price is slightly higher for the Del Won Custom Made-in-USA cabinets. My cousin from U.K. came yesterday to visit us He's into Hi Fi and all that. I demoed him my new speakers and didn't tell him what I paid. I asked him to put a rough price on 'em. He said "You bought these second hand right? Hmm... 5,000 quid?"

I just blankly looked at him and wondered where I would get 5000 pounds.
Grant, what are the differences in cabinets, which do you have and how significant is the price difference? Thanks

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Grant, what are the differences in cabinets
I think the custom cabinet has better finish, a chamfered corner instead of a roundover, and most certainly will have better grilles (probably magnetic).

which do you have
The cheap asian one. I bought Phils so randomly specifically because dennis said he only had a few more left. :eek:

how significant is the price difference? Thanks
A few hundred a pair. You'll have to ask Dennis but I think he said around $25-600. BTW as of today, the Phil 3s have now gone up in price to $3,500.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis