Help, No Audio Outputs

M

manich

Audiophyte
I moved my 8 year old Olevia 37" LCD tv down to the basement and hooked it up to a LG Blu-ray player for wireless streaming from Netflix. Not having a cable box or sat rcvr connected, I can find no way to output audio to a speaker system. The LG player has only one output, HDMI, and the old TV has no outputs at all, not even a headphone out. I've been looking for an A/V controller that I could put between the LG player and tv and get some output options for audio. No luck yet. Any suggestions?

thanks
martin

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum, Martin!

Do you have a receiver already? A receiver (if it has HDMI in this case) would be the perfect A/V controller for you.

If you don't have a receiver, what type of speaker system do you want to connect?

Btw, what is the model number of your Olevia TV? Sometimes those headphone jacks are hard to find. There's been more than once that people have said their TV didn't have one when it did. Not saying that'll be you :) - just offering to double check for you if you'd like.

M

manich

Audiophyte
Well I did find a headphone out, next to an "audio in" label in the back of the Olevia 337-B11. But I can't get anything out of it. My amp is an old old Proton with only RCA inputs.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I tried to download the manual but ran into a problem.

Check the menu on your TV. You may need to turn off the TV speakers for that headphone jack to work. My guess is that the headphone jack volume is controlled by the volume on the TV, so it would make sense that they wouldn't activate that jack without turning off the speakers - but you may need to do that manually.

C

ChuckT

Enthusiast
Monopole has a switchable controller, bout $40, one HDMI in, 4 HDMI out, Stereo audio out, COAX out, and Optical out.
Got one for a (new) Vizio TV / (new) Vizio Soundbar / Blu-ray / (new) Sony stereo hookup.
Maybe biting off more than I want to chew.

M

manich

Audiophyte
Went into the clumsy, badly designed, Olevia menu and turned the speakers off. I got sound out to my amp now!

thanks Adam, I didn't want to spend anything more on this "2nd team" basement system.

S

Sean Moylan

Audiophyte
Monopole has a switchable controller, bout $40, one HDMI in, 4 HDMI out, Stereo audio out, COAX out, and Optical out.
Got one for a (new) Vizio TV / (new) Vizio Soundbar / Blu-ray / (new) Sony stereo hookup.
Maybe biting off more than I want to chew.
Interested in hearing how you got on with your set-up. I have a TV with only a headphone audio out, but I can't replace it because it was a family gift, so am looking for options.

C

ChuckT

Enthusiast
Interested in hearing how you got on with your set-up. I have a TV with only a headphone audio out, but I can't replace it because it was a family gift, so am looking for options.
Never did hook up the Monoprice Switcher instead I settled on: Out of Cable Box with HDMI carrying picture to VIZIO TV. TV speakers are OFF. Audio out of Cable Box on Optical to VIZIO Soundbar. Also Stienhauser(?) earphones on Audio L/R from Cable Box.
With Sony DH550 connected to Sony Blu Ray and TV via HDMIs.
Wifie runs TV with CLIKR5 controller to watch her HGTV. I run Sony via Harmony remote to watch Movies. Peace in the Family.

S

Sean Moylan

Audiophyte
Never did hook up the Monoprice Switcher instead I settled on: Out of Cable Box with HDMI carrying picture to VIZIO TV. TV speakers are OFF. Audio out of Cable Box on Optical to VIZIO Soundbar. Also Stienhauser(?) earphones on Audio L/R from Cable Box.
With Sony DH550 connected to Sony Blu Ray and TV via HDMIs.
Wifie runs TV with CLIKR5 controller to watch her HGTV. I run Sony via Harmony remote to watch Movies. Peace in the Family.
Thanks. Sounds like a good compromise.

C

ChuckT

Enthusiast
A central "switcher" and 1 remote would be nirvana to me. 'Cept it would be more $$ than I'm willing to throw at it. The Monoprice looked like it'd do but that was one more remote than I am willing to use. If I ever get to 110% satisfaction with the Harmony I may revisit it.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Went into the clumsy, badly designed, Olevia menu and turned the speakers off. I got sound out to my amp now!

thanks Adam, I didn't want to spend anything more on this "2nd team" basement system.
LOL, Olevia televisions have the most cantankerous menu on the planet. We have had a few on our sales floor once and they all have been hilariously bad. The worst one though, the one where all the buttons worked, but all did the incorrect commands, classic.

S

sebastianglez07

Audiophyte
i had the same issue on my timeshare attorney business pc , tnx for share to everyone

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis