Help Needed: Struggling with speaker placement options

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You want your surround speakers to the sides if possible.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm a bit confused then...I've going off this atmos diagram
I was limited on my speaker placement for the side channels in my theater (I have speakercraft speakers too) and ended up going with them within the dolby spec, but they are slightly behind me. It sounds fine, but if you can put them at a 90 degree angle to the seating position, do it. It will sound better.

My office has the side/surrounds like this and it's better. I've done it that way in every other install I've ever done and it just works better.

gmoniey

gmoniey

Enthusiast
So I'm in the process of trying to find a good screen, and I learned that the acoustically transparent screen may not be the best option in front of a window? Have other folks had to deal with this? Did they just install black out curtains?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
So I'm in the process of trying to find a good screen, and I learned that the acoustically transparent screen may not be the best option in front of a window? Have other folks had to deal with this? Did they just install black out curtains?
Get with "ADTG" shoot him a inbox message
He knows a lot about screens. Plus he is a Dealer, if you may need gear. He has helped a lot with getting gear, speakers, Screens projectors.

gmoniey

gmoniey

Enthusiast
I haven't yet. I'm tackling a bunch of things with this build and feel a bit under water.

My goal was to figure out the projector mount and the screen since the contractor will need to frame that out and then speakers later as the walls will be just studs for a while.

For projector mount, I'm hoping to go with this (if it fits) as I'd like to have everything recessed and hidden. And the hope is to integrate it into a single switch/remote to have them both open/close together

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Make sure you get In-Wall Speakers with Back Boxes or Install Sound Enclosure Boxes while walls are open.

gmoniey

gmoniey

Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll most likely post back here with some options asking for opinions :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is your Room Perfect? Is your Situation Perfect? Then don't try to be Perfect. Get it as close as you can with what you have to work with.

If this was a Sound Studio or Dedicated HT then you need to be Perfect.
I'm a bit confused then...I've going off this atmos diagram
When they made recommendations, it's basically some guy sitting at the breakfast table sipping his coffee, eating his donuts and saying, "Hmm, yeah, I think 45 degrees here, 30 degrees there sound about right to me. Yeah, that's the ticket." :D

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
When they made recommendations, it's basically some guy setting at the breakfast table sipping his coffee, eating his donuts and saying, "Hmm, yeah, I think 45 degrees here, 30 degrees there sound about right to me. Yeah, that's the ticket." :D
Yep, one size for all doesn't fit for everyone much less HT or this hobby for sure. I had many hobby's in the past. The thing about this one Home Theater, Home Audio it is the most Subjective and I found that even though specs matter and are very Important especially when choosing speaker's. All HT rooms, living rooms and so are not Created equal and the "Normal" for setting up a surround HT set up may not Apply.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, one size for all doesn't fit for everyone much less HT or this hobby for sure. I had many hobby's in the past. The thing about this one Home Theater, Home Audio it is the most Subjective and I found that even though specs matter and are very Important especially when choosing speaker's. All HT rooms, living rooms and so are not Created equal and the "Normal" for setting up a surround HT set up may not Apply.
I Agree 100%. :D

I can see those guys at Dolby doing some double-blinded studies comparing 15 degrees vs 30 degrees vs 45 degrees vs 60 degrees to see which one produced the BEST ATMOS SOUND. Haha. :D

It's so superficial. They just picked some numbers that looked good on paper. :D

Oh, yeah, don't forget the same Dolby guys also said those little Atmos add-on modules that are placed atop speakers, instead of Ceiling or at least on-wall speakers, will work great.

R -------------------- I --------------------- G ------------------------ H ------------------------------ T

100% superficial. :D

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I Agree 100%. :D

I can see those guys at Dolby doing some double-blinded studies comparing 15 degrees vs 30 degrees vs 45 degrees vs 60 degrees to see which one produced the BEST ATMOS SOUND. Haha. :D

It's so superficial. They just picked some numbers that looked good on paper. :D

Oh, yeah, don't forget the same Dolby guys also said those little Atmos add-on modules that are placed atop speakers, instead of Ceiling or at least on-wall speakers, will work great.

R -------------------- I --------------------- G ------------------------ H ------------------------------ T

100% superficial. :D
Andrew, I have Never walked into someones home where their HT was setup and found it was Ideally set up. I will say having a Dedicated HT room setup is the best way to go with this HT thing. It's not Impossible to get it setup as close as Possible to the "Standards" set by Dolby audio gurus, as a "Guideline" for the Initial setup. Many homes apartments, Condos and so on are Not built with Hone Audio or ever Home Audio HT in mind. Andrew, your a great Example of this. When you where building Your home You knew this, one size for all home audio HT didn't apply. You built into Your hone a Dedicated HT room. Even than setting your Dedicated HT Room, Specially with Atmos you found that what Dolby audio recommends isn't or wasn't the Ideal way to set up your room. Not saying Dolby audio's recommendations aren't Factual it is, it's just not Appliable all the time in every setup.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Andrew, I have Never walked into someones home where their HT was setup and found it was Ideally set up. I will say having a Dedicated HT room setup is the best way to go with this HT thing. It's not Impossible to get it setup as close as Possible to the "Standards" set by Dolby audio gurus, as a "Guideline" for the Initial setup. Many homes apartments, Condos and so on are Not built with Hone Audio or ever Home Audio HT in mind. Andrew, your a great Example of this. When you where building Your home You knew this, one size for all home audio HT didn't apply. You built into Your hone a Dedicated HT room. Even than setting your Dedicated HT Room, Specially with Atmos you found that what Dolby audio recommends isn't or wasn't the Ideal way to set up your room. Not saying Dolby audio's recommendations aren't Factual it is, it's just not Appliable all the time in every setup.
Yeah, like most of us have been saying for a long time now - Dolby guidelines and everyone's guidelines are just guidelines, not carved in stone. For the most part, they are pretty good guidelines. But every room is different. And after a while with experience, some of us have our own conclusions as to which speaker placements and setups are best for us.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis