Help needed for power amp choice

C

ciotime

Audioholic
I currently have the Denon X3700H paired with the Dali Oberon 7 in my dedicated HT room with a 7.2.4 setup. The Oberon 7 specs are listed below. Want to get a 2 ch power amp to externally power the front's. Which of the ff amps should I choose? Rotel RB1582 MK2...Cambridge Audio AZUR 851W...Emotiva XPA-2 Gen3...thanks.

Frequency Range (+/-3 dB) [Hz]36 - 26,000
Sensitivity (2,83 V/1 m) [dB]88.5
Nominal Impedance [ohms]6
Maximum SPL [dB]110
Recommended Amplifier Power [W]30 - 180
Crossover Frequency [Hz]2,300

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Why do you feel you need to power your speakers with an external amp when your receiver has a strong amp section adequate wattage to power them? The difference between your receivers wattage and the recommended max wattage of the speakers is so small it's hardly going to be noticeable. JMO

Plus your speakers are rated at 180 Watts Max and the Amps you're looking at far Exede that. What are we trying to do?

C

ciotime

Audioholic
Why do you feel you need to power your speakers with an external amp when your receiver has a strong amp section adequate wattage to power them? The difference between your receivers wattage and the recommended max wattage of the speakers is so small it's hardly going to be noticeable. JMO

Plus your speakers are rated at 180 Watts Max and the Amps you're looking at far Exede that. What are we trying to do?
Headroom...plus if I wanna upgrade in the future I have enough power.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Headroom...plus if I wanna upgrade in the future I have enough power.
#1) You can upgrade when you get to the bridge and then you can cross it
#2) I think you'd be highly disappointed looking for Headroom. JMO

Have you used an SPL calculator to figure out how much power you really need

C

ciotime

Audioholic
#1) You can upgrade when you get to the bridge and then you can cross it
#2) I think you'd be highly disappointed looking for Headroom. JMO

Have you used an SPL calculator to figure out how much power you really need
I really don't mind getting the power amps now as an investment since power amps usually don't change.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The fronts are all three channels unless only concerned with 2ch music or something....so why not power all three with external amps?

C

ciotime

Audioholic
The fronts are all three channels unless only concerned with 2ch music or something....so why not power all three with external amps?
That is what I really want to do but it seem's not much 3CH available power amps here in my country except for the Emotiva and even that is limited in supply. It's mostly 2 ch or 5 ch here.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That is what I really want to do but it seem's not much 3CH available power amps here in my country except for the Emotiva and even that is limited in supply. It's mostly 2 ch or 5 ch here.
Two two channel amps work fine, I've done that several times.....

C

ciotime

Audioholic

I forgot to mention that power amps are needed coz though the X3700H is capable of processing 11 ch it's only a 9.2ch 8K AV Receiver meaning one needs to externally power 2 channels to do a 7.2.4 setup. This is the primary reason why an external amp is required/needed.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I forgot to mention that power amps are needed coz though the X3700H is capable of processing 11 ch it's only a 9.2ch 8K AV Receiver meaning one needs to externally power 2 channels to do a 7.2.4 setup. This is the primary reason why an external amp is required/needed.
In your other thread you are asking about the Rotel RMB 1585. That amp looks beautiful, but for a lot less money you may want to take a look of the Hypex based amps by Buckeye.

Buckeye Hypex based power amps

The NC502MP based one is much more powerful than the RM 1585.

4 channel NC502MP, XLR inputs (Neutrik), Mogami wiring, 12v trigger, Power LED (Blue) = $1049 shipped
You should be able to get him build you a 3 channel for under $1,000.

The AVR will most likely be able to power your other 8 speakers with ease. Have you figure out your predicted output power need yet?

The RM1585 is probably not a good match to the Denon, not because of its low gain, but its low input impedance, unless you use all external amps.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis