Help Me With My Setup

H

HardCoal99

Audiophyte
Just got a steal on a new amplifier and I want to add it to my home theatre setup. I'd love to hear some expert advice on what the best approach would be. I'm not interested in getting other equipment, I'm looking for how to best setup what I have. This is the first time I'm adding an amp. Setup is used for TV, movies and listening to music. Thanks in advance!

Equipment:
Onkyo TX-SR876 (7.1 Setup)
Polk ATI A9 front speakers
Polk Csi A4 center speaker
Polk A6 surround speakers (back set and side set)
Elemental Design powered sub

New: Episode EA-DYN-12D-100 amp (12 channels @ 100 watts).

I'm looking primarily to send additional power to the Polk A9 towers since they require a good amount of power to operate best.

Should I simply use the Episode amp to drive the 7 speakers?

Should I use the amp to just drive the L/R towers? What about their ability to use Bi-Amp or Bi-wiring?

Should I combine 2 channels on the amp into each L/R speaker? Should I combine 2 channels into each Woofer and Tweeter post on each speaker (4 channels per individual speaker)?

I'm not sure if there is any issue with running the surrounds from the Onkyo AVR and running the L/R and Center speakers from the amp at the same time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your avr is a more powerful amp than the Episode already. If you need additional power get a more powerful amp and use the pre-outs on the avr. Keep in mind it takes a doubling of power to gain merely 3dB spl. Bi-wiring and passive bi-amping are a waste of wire IMO and will not double power if that's what you're thinking. That Episode amp is maybe good for use with zones and lots of ceiling speakers for whole home audio type setups.

What distance are you from your speakers? How loud do you generally listen? This is where I'd start before considering additional amplification. Maybe use something like this spl calculator http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html to get an idea of your power needs for your situation.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Start here if you're really new to it all; https://www.crutchfield.com/learn/home-audio-power-amplifiers-and-preamps.html

But other than that you can amplify whatever you think is best. If you think your fronts needs more then juice them up. Honestly though, I agree with @lovinthehd your AVR was plenty strong and I doubt you'll see any improvement with an amp unless you're trying to use watts to make a rocket take off.
How so if the Episode is less powerful? Just offloading some of the work of the avr's amp section/power supply?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just looked up the amp spec on the Episode, it's even less powerful than the OP's figure of 100wpc (which I assumed was the nominal 8 ohm rating).....it's only 50wpc at 8 ohm, the 100wpc is a 4 ohm rating (and without spec to frequency range or thd).

M

MDK210

Junior Audioholic
I just looked up the amp spec on the Episode, it's even less powerful than the OP's figure of 100wpc (which I assumed was the nominal 8 ohm rating).....it's only 50wpc at 8 ohm, the 100wpc is a 4 ohm rating (and without spec to frequency range or thd).
Ouch, based on that news it would be the weakest point of the whole system.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Ouch, based on that news it would be the weakest point of the whole system.
Is op sure a power amp is needed or could you simply turn up your speakers with the avr ? Does it overheat or shut off on you?

H

HardCoal99

Audiophyte
Thanks for the input so far. What do you think about offloading the 4 surround speakers to the new amp?

I could bi-amp each of the 4 surround speakers and free up spots on the AVR. I could then bi-amp the L/R towers off the AVR.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't, the avr is still better IMO.

Passive bi-amping is a waste of wire...

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the input so far. What do you think about offloading the 4 surround speakers to the new amp?

I could bi-amp each of the 4 surround speakers and free up spots on the AVR. I could then bi-amp the L/R towers off the AVR.
Surrounds probably don’t use enough wattage.
I’d sAve your money for your next avr or better speakers, subs .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis